TKR Sooz Bionic Knee Journey

Yay, Graeters! My daughter attended Miami University near Cincinnati for a year before transferring to a university in Michigan, and we discovered Graeters. Raspberry chip is our family favorite. I have even come over to the dark side of eating fruit-flavored ice cream--will only do it for Raspberry Chip. Our Kroger carries Graeters, and we get it for special occasions. ( Krogers Private Select Chocolate Raspberry is a close second to Graeters, BTW.)

@sooz58, ice cream, taking a little walk in the sunshine, sitting on the porch: these are all "prescriptions" for success in this journey. Necessities, not niceties. The Blues are, well, a big downer. You will need big doses of these "uppers" to counteract those Blues. Don't hesitate to identify and do the things that are pleasurable. Once I started healing a bit, I made the mistake of turning my limited energy toward getting back to all the details I used to take care of pre-TKR. If that is pleasurable and makes you happy, by all means go for it (I found the Activity Guide helpful for this). However, getting back to household chores was NOT helpful at chasing the blues away for me. My down times didn't start to lift until I gave myself permission to, as @SusieShoes has said, embrace the camping theory of house maintenance, and quit worrying about my adult responsibilities. When I focused on what lit me up just a bit and did those things--ice cream! Getting out to even a fast food restaurant and sitting in a booth for 15 minutes! Walking in the sunshine! Sitting on our deck and 'gliding' the new deck chair! Talking to my friends on BoneSmart!-- then my depression became more manageable.
 
Now on the hunt for Graeter's ice cream! :running: I'm more active again now that my knees have told me they're okay with doing housework. Three months of nestling in my recliner and letting the dust bunnies peek out from under the bed have paid off splendidly.

Small victories tell you where you are in recovery: that first time you cook a full meal without feeling exhausted, first trip to the grocery store, first time you can walk around the block, or go along with the family to see a sunflower field in bloom without wondering if there will be a place to sit. There's so much joy in little things.

The "recovery blues" are a real thing. Doing things we enjoy, and being with those we love, can help beat back those blues.
 
Last edited:
Graeter's ice cream
I do not recall of ever seeing this, but I get around and love ice cream, will keep my eyes opened for it!
 
Oh! I used to live in Cincinnati. I never developed a taste for Cincinnati chili. You can keep that, but save some Graeters ice cream for me. That stuff is the best!

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
Sue you are doing really well! I know it's hard to see that from your vantage point but you are! Take each day's pleasure and encouragement from a few extra steps, a beautiful day to sit outside or an amazing sunset. This will boost your spirits. New accomplishments are waiting on the horizon. You are in the early days and I remember them all too well but they will get better!
Mmmmmm.......ice cream! I have never heard of Graeters but will look for it on my journeys. When heading south we always try to make a stop n Athens, Tennessee at Mayfield Dairy. Excellent ice cream!
 
@ Canada35, Love Mayfield, too. We do the same thing on the way to relatives in the little triangle where NC, Georgia, and Tenn meet. Maybe we'll see each other there sometime. I will carry a rose from now on.
 
@Polkadot I love it! I will look for the lady with the Rose lol! We pass through this area many times but we really need to spend more time exploring what that area offers. Mayfield Dairy and Rickard's BBQ with the live Bluegrass music are really all I am familiar with. Now that Nellie is recuperating and I am able to walk better I would really like to check out more of the mountains and Appalachian trail!
 
@Canada35 , I do realize that I am doing very well with this recovery. I have sat back and thought about it and I believe that if I hadn't had such awful care when I was in the hospital, I feel the entire experience would have felt more positive.
Today when I had in home pt, she measured my rom at 90 right after I had been laying with ice and elevated. Then I worked on doing some simple heel slides and just a lil walk and she remeasured and my rom was 100. I just couldn't believe it. My pt girl is great, she does not bend me or do anything that could cause swelling. She is so encouraging, I only have a couple more visits from her before OS orders outpatient therapy to begin next week. Out patient PT people I go to are great too! I have been blessed with gentle PT going through this journey! Oh yes, began some with a cane today, have permission to go to bathroom, since it is a few steps away, but mostly still using the walker!
Visited my office today, via the web, did a simple poster work for them and printed, was nice to begin to get into doing other things while I am still lying around! Tomorrow some financial work for them!!!
I know some of you think it is too early to start weaning myself off pain meds, but I did also with my first knee around this time. I've been taking oxy 4-5X per day and I am down to 3-4, mornings the acetaminophen seems to keep any pain away, so I no longer get up in the night to take a pill (sleeping 6-7 straight hours without wake up) and I no longer take one when I first wake up, I save it to take before PT. Slowly I will wean myself away!
Question, those have right knee and bilats done: How soon were you able to drive???? My PT thinks I shouldn't be too long due to my rom... What do you experts say??
ICE CREAM-we have a little ice cream shop in a neighboring town that has the absolute best soft serve I have ever had, I am so sad they are closed now until next spring, going to have to find something to tide me over until spring!!!!
Have a great evening!
 
I was told that I could drive once I was off of narcotics for a week and when I could slam on the brakes without it aggravating Spence. ROM did not come into the equation as I guess it was implied that I would need enough ROM to control the pedals. I would guess that every OS has different instructions regarding this, and this was just my experience.
 
I no longer get up in the night to take a pill (sleeping 6-7 straight hours without wake up) and I no longer take one when I first wake up, I save it to take before PT.
Wean off the medications gradually by all means, but please don't take pain relief so you can do PT. Pain is a warning sign you re doing too much for your knee and if you mask that pain during PT you may unwittingly over-exercise and cause a delay in your rehab.

Question, those have right knee and bilats done: How soon were you able to drive???? My PT thinks I shouldn't be too long due to my rom...
Yes, ROM has something to do with it, but also you need to be off the heavy-duty pain meds, so you are 100% clear-headed.

You also need to be able to move your foot quickly and accurately from accelerator to brake, and to have enough strength to do an emergency stop. I practiced doing that by sitting in the car with the engine turned off and I didn't turn the engine on until I was totally sure I could do it every time.

Some insurance companies like you to get clearance from your surgeon before you start driving again, so it might be a good idea to check that as well.
 
@sooz58, , tell us, what's your secret to a stellar recovery, 'cuz you're really having one! Is it something in the water there, your Mom's TLC, or...I dunno, advanced alien visitors? I'm stunned at your ROM, your sleeping ability and cutting back on Rx pain meds so soon! And enough concentration to be able to perform some work? You're Wonder Woman! I don't know if we can even talk anymore, ya know? You're just way out of my league, lol!
 
I am not driving yet due to medication and that I have pain and quirkiness in my right knee.
A few weeks ago I sat in my daughters car and practiced stepping on the brake and ouch. Would not be able to push hard enough on it to stop a car!
Another problem I have is that even if I could get into my little and very low car I don't know if I could get out! I bought this thing that grips on to the door latch and you can use it as handle which is supposed to help with getting out. Not up for trying it yet. I still look at untried chairs suspiciously not to mention car seats!!

Maybe all this talk of that great ice cream will be a motivation to be able to begin driving so we can go find some!!!
 
My OS was ready to give me permission to drive as soon as I was off pain pills. Like you, I had 100+ flexion and was walking really well at 2 weeks, so he said when I was off the pain meds I could drive. I got off them a week later, but didn't actually start driving until 5 weeks. It was kind of nice to have Mr. Shoes as a chauffeur. :)
 
Sue I had a right TKR and my OS would not let me drive until 6 weeks and off the narcotics. I really had no desire until 5 weeks and would have wondered at my ability to control gas and brake before that. At 6 weeks I started driving but not far or long for a little bit longer. Just out for coffee with a friend or to the drug store. Getting in was no problem. Getting out still takes me a while lol!
 
I was told I could drive when I was off meds and felt strong enough. So I first drove w rtkr at 4 weeks and had a friend w me for the first trip.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Celle gotcha on the pain meds before therapy, I forget these things easily, thank you for the reminder.
Staples out yesterday! OUCHIE, I do not like the staple removal!!!!! OS was more than please with my healing, he said if he had a gold star he would give me one! Going to draft a letter to the hospital about my care (or lack of it) during my hospital stay. The hour trip to OS was more uncomfortable on the way there than on the way home. I should have brought a bigger pillow for elevating, but was able to improvise. Much more comfortable on our way home, not sure if it was the pain pills or getting those dang staples out!
This righty Rachel is a bit fussy at times, she likes to elevate, but just for a bit then she wants to bend. (Also she is liking the leg doctor pillow now that she has been more mobile!)
Began walking with my cane some of the time, my first trip on it, I felt like I was walking like a drunken sailor, this has improved greatly.
Been sleeping fairly well, getting to sleep sometimes takes awhile, then when I wake to potty, I have that process all over again. Last night I was so tired, fell asleep around 11, woke around 4, tossed turned, tried on one side then the other, grabbed the leg doctor, then went and got ice, then had to get off the leg doctor and lie flat with ice, closed my eyes and next thing I knew it was 8:30!
OS said I can drive after off the pain pills for a couple of days. I will be in them awhile yet. I think before I do drive, I will have hubby take me to an empty parking lot to make sure I can react with my legs properly.
Mom's taking me to lunch today, so I will be pooped being out 2 days in a row!
 
Back
Top Bottom