I still have a weird limp and it’s bugging the heck out of me.
The big problem is I’m not super in love with my pt office, he insists on me trying to walk on the outside of my foot, claiming I will wear out my replacement if I don’t. Asked my surgeon about this and he looked at me like I was nuts. So, what do I do? Find a new pt? Go it alone? I’m very concerned I won’t ever get rid of this limp or be able to get rid of my cane. Apparently I was so knock kneed prior to surgery that I am still a little bit and that’s what the PT is so obsessed about. I’d like to keep going but I’m annoyed at my lack of progress. *sigh*
Since you still have a limp, you definitely should not be giving up the cane yet. Keep using it until you don't limp. It's just a tool and there are no prizes for giving up the cane early. There could be consequences if you give it up too soon.
I don't like your PT therapist either. He sounds too "pushy" and he's trying to make your knee conform to his set agenda, without making any allowances for the fact that your knee has had two major surgeries in less than a year.
Your surgeon is happy with your progress and you are actually doing well at just 6 weeks post-op. Listen to your surgeon, not your PT, who's complaining that you have a lack of progress, which just isn't true. You're making very good progress.
Quite honestly, I think you'd be better off without that particular PT. He's expecting too much, too soon, from your knee and he's also demoralizing you. If there's another therapist at the clinic who sounds more relaxed, ask to go to them. If there isn't, then either find another clinic, or simply manage on your own. This isn't your first TKR. You know how to progress, and your knee will continue to heal and improve on its own schedule if you just use it in your activities of daily living.
My knee feels stable now, it just feels way weaker than my other knee. Like I can't go up a step with it quite yet, well not a full sized step, I can go up a 4" step, but any larger and I balk at it.
Don't worry about that . It's far too soon to be trying to go up steps normally. Doing stairs foot-over- foot often takes about 4 months to achieve - so 6 weeks is very ambitious.