Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

So I'm a few years out, I'm headed back just for a look-see of my right leg because it just *feels* irritated almost all the time. Hoping nothing major, can't imagine what it might be, it's just gotten on my last nerve I think.

But -- in other news, I am going on my first vacation EVER this fall. Is there a good recommendation to what kind of shoes would be useful for a lot of standing and walking especially on pavement and/or concrete? I normally wear Hoka One One Challengers but I'm not sure they'll be the best bet so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 
I was sent home in an immobilizer brace
I was too but only had to use it for a few days. I found it very useful to wear at night (loosely) both to keep my leg straight and to serve as armor to protect my painful knee when my other leg bumped into it. I wore it for about a month after each surgery, at night.
 
A podiatrist I saw recommended either Asics or New Balance shoes for foot/ knee issues.
I have some Asics trainers that work for me currently. I also use gel insoles as extra cushioning and I think that would be a good idea for hard paving walking.
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I have always preferred more firm shoes and even firmer insoles, but I think 5-6 days of walking around on pavement might do me in if I try that. I'm wanting to get something so I can break it and make sure it's going to work before my trip. No one wants to spend vacation laid up because you chose the wrong shoes!
 
Congratulations! I read through your entire thread, and what an amazing journey you've had! I swear by New Balance shoes. My OS recommended them when I broke my foot and they work great for me.
 
Congratulations! I read through your entire thread, and what an amazing journey you've had! I swear by New Balance shoes. My OS recommended them when I broke my foot and they work great for me.
Aw thank you very much! It's been quite a trip, it's still not 100% but I'm not too too unhappy with the outcome given all that's happened -- especially since the last physical therapist I saw in person told me I'd never walk again without a cane. It took months but I eventually did it.

I'm going to get a few different pairs this summer and test them out. My bf and I are headed to Vegas (!!) for 6 days in October. It's the first vacation either one of us has ever taken. I know it will be a lot of walking and expect to be sore, but I do plan on walking more this summer and I started doing the stairs at work (2 flights, at least once a day, if not 2-3 times) to build up more muscle.

I used to wear new balance, so I'll check them out as well, thanks!
 
@sondrals I just read your entire journey and feel encouraged by your determination. I’m having a partial revision on my right replacement (tibial component) on the 30th and have been feeling very anxious about having a third surgery. My pre-op appointment with the OS is later this morning and I have my list of questions for him.

Thanks for being so open and honest with your story!
 
@FourCats, I hope everything goes smoothly for you! I have to admit I think the revision was easier than the replacement, at least for me, maybe just because I knew more of what to expect.

This journey has been a lot more than I ever expected, though I recognize my situation is quite different than most people's. Most days I'm ok with having gone through it :-)
 
@sondrals good to see you back although hopefully the pain in your right leg goes away fast.
Regarding your vacation, are you able to purchase the brand Sketchers, they are wonderfully cushioned offering support to the whole foot.
I also have new balance, trainers, they are OK for day to day but for a holiday I would choose comfort, I've also heard good reports on the brand Asics.
 
@Sara61 I am able to get Sketchers, I think we even have a Sketcher's store in town. I'll have to try them on and see how they fit. I have stupid wide feet and sometimes struggle finding shoes. My big concern with Sketchers is they may be too plush for me, I tried some Hoka shoes that were plush and man did the bug me. But fortunately I have time to test a few out and find out what works. Thanks for the advice!
 
I have wide feet also, and someone suggested I get men’s shoes, as they are designed wider. I also have nerve damage in my right foot, and shoes and socks are very uncomfortable! I did buy men’s waterproof hiking boots last year and my foot “tolerates” them, but thankfully I live in a state that gets little snow. But I did need footwear for the occasions it does snow.
 
@Jockette but men's shoes don't come in cute colors ;-)

But yeah I have thought the same thing, it turns out since I wear a 8 it makes it a men's 6-6.5. Which works but I've noticed some brands don't make em that small. So yeah, I'll have to shop around a bit more.

I had this weird period right after my surgery where I hated shoes, now I prefer to wear them most the time. I'm trying to find something that isn't too hot as we're going to Vegas and being an Alaskan gal I don't want my tooties to sweat off :) :-) (:
 
So I went back to see my surgeon, I still have what feels like swelling/inflammation/irritation in my right knee and I also have pretty much straight line down the inside of my leg, mid-though to ankle, where I have never gotten feeling back completely, it's still mostly numb. He said from the X-rays everything looks fine, and after man handling my leg it doesn't appear to be slack or anything. He said at this point if it's still numb, I likely won't get feeling back, so no real answers. He did want me to try Meloxicam instead of Celebrex. Can anyone answer if one is particularly better than the other?

I'm also pretty reluctant to take anything anymore, as my mother is now stage 4 kidney failure and they claim it was long-term celebrex use that caused it (I have doubts about anything my mother's doctors say anymore). But, obviously, I'm 44 and would not like to risk kidney damage or anything like that.

Also, it *may* be scar tissue build up, again, which they removed during my lateral release. Is there anything outside of surgery that can break down scar tissue?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom