Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

I did something yesterday I didn't want to do and I drug my feet on for so long. I finally hired a company to do spring clean-up, raking and mow our lawns this summer. I'm going to tease my surgeon that I'm sending him the bill because he promised I'd be able to mow the lawn by this summer. It's kind of a relief to get someone lined up for it, my bf could 100% do it but his job gets very busy in the summers and I don't want to add more stress. (ie. me nagging him about it). I'm disappointed to not be where I'd hoped to be this summer but crossing my fingers for an eventual good outcome.
 
I finally hired a company to do spring clean-up, raking and mow our lawns this summer
This is a great idea! Now you will be able to enjoy your garden and not stress over having it tidy. Don't worry - next year you will be out there doing it yourself!
 
Sondrals - I hired a yard crew for my recovery but my yard looks so amazing that I’ve decided to keep them permanently . I am enjoying a gorgeous yard without the work. Hopefully you’ll enjoy it too & before you know it your knees will be in great shape
 
@sondrals Sending you my best wishes for your surgery and what a brilliant idea having someone spring clean your garden, you'll be able to sit (with legs up) and enjoy it after your surgery :flwrysmile:
 
I finally hired a company to do spring clean-up, raking and mow our lawns this summer.
I think you made a good decision. Some things are priceless. You can either pay these people, and have peace of mind that things will get done in a timely manner.


or,

do the work yourself and possibly hurt your healing self and pay the medical community plus have lots of pain and discomfort.

When we moved into our current home, in a small 55+ community, part of our rent includes grass cutting services. My husband has never liked cutting the grass. The first time the lawn service came after we moved in, my husband went out on the front porch and applauded them!
 
My bf could 100% do it, but he hates doing it, and it shows in how he mows. I enjoyed doing it, but it's became an annoying chore and there's just no way I can right now. Our yard is pretty small so it's not overly expensive and it just seemed an easier route to take this year. We may love it and keep it.
 
Still on for my surgery Thursday. But today my mom fell off a ladder and broke her femur. When it rains it pours! Geeze I feel so bad I can’t even go see her as they’re not letting visitors into the hospitals and I’d probably not be much help right now anyways
 
@sondrals Sorry to hear about your Mum, I'm sure she will be well looked after- concentrate on getting your forthcoming surgery and recuperation first and try not too worry too much as this only adds to unnecessary stress.
Take care sending a hug xxx
 
Oh, I hate to hear about your mother's fall and broken leg. She's in the best place for her. You can always talk to her on the phone until she's released.

Right now you need to concentrate on yourself and staying healthy. You don't want anything to delay that surgery any more than it already has been!
 
If the hospital releases you within 23 hours of the official ending time of your surgery, it is considered day/outpatient. I did this for my shoulder and it was a much better experience than leaving the same day. And I got propofol with no versed and no gas as my general anaesthesia and woke up clear-headed right away and had no nausea. I liked that better than the spinal/epidural.
Ive read others here say versed and/or gas makes them nauseous also.
Spending the night gave me several practices getting up and using the walker and using the bathroom. Best of all, my OS visited the next morning and prescribed a refill of the numbing pump, so I got a second 24 hrs of that pain relief.
Best wishes!
Sorry about your mom.
 
So headed in tomorrow at 10am, surgery at 12:30. Wish me luck! Praying this gives me two stable knees! Righty still hurts but in a different way than before surgery. And the fact that I worked all day, got a haircut, did about 7 loads of laundry, changed out the sheets on the bed, vacuumed the house and fixed dinner probably tells me why it kinda hurts. Have never really been one to take it slow!
 
Best wishes Sondra for your surgery :angel::thumb:
 
We'll be waiting to hear from you. :prayer:
 
That is good news Sondra :yes!: Wishing you a speedy recovery :flwrysmile: keep us updated xx
 
Congratulations!
:happyfeet::kitty:Keep us posted on your progress.
 
Still waiting to get released to go home. They got my pain ball so I assume that’s still the plan. Quite possibly last night was the worst night ever, not because of pain or anything but my roommate set off some kind of alarm what felt like 100s of times last night. Then she decided to watch very loud tv at 2am. Also there’s a lady down the hall that keeps howling about her pain and screaming that she hates all the nurses. I sort of feel like I accidentally got stuck in a psyche ward.

been up and down to the bathroom a dozen or so times, sometimes just because I’m bored. I really can’t wait to go home. I just want to sleep and that’s impossible here.
 
I'm glad your surgery is over and I hope you get to go home soon.

As a reminder, her are the recovery guidelines again:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Hope you’re home soon Sondra! Nothing is better then being in your own home to recover.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom