Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

Ooh I realized I took a picture the other day to show my mom how much the left had faded. I didn’t think it looked bad but now I’m worried

excuse my fat legs not the most flattering picture lol
 
Yes, I reduced my PT down to once a week to go with a 12 session minimal. For one to cut down cost and we agreed that I did not need the frequency and for sure no gym work (I already belong to a gym). I'm continuing with bed exercises and other around the house movement and my ADL (activities of daily life stuff) over the next few weeks.

You have to listen to your body. Even when it 'whispers'! For certain when it YELLS!!:nah:
I've declined doing "leg presses" again, until it's fixed and well healed. I'm actually backing off PT again, I'm only going once a week...
 
Ooh I realized I took a picture the other day to show my mom how much the left had faded. I didn’t think it looked bad but now I’m worried
@sondrals - do you really have to tell your mother everything about your knees?

You're an adult now and, although moms are interested in how their daughters are getting on, your mom doesn't need to know the amount of detail she needed to know when you were a child.

Sometimes it's necessary to censor how much intelligence we, as adults, give to our parents. That's because we're adults now and we make our own decisions. Parents have to learn how to step back and let their adult children do just that.

Stop doing things that give you cause to feel worried.
I know, from how much your activities are improving, that you are making good progress.
 
The complication of that spacer makes everything so crazy, it seems. I would definitely stop those leg presses just because it would wig me out to see my knee doing that! Yikes!

Your anxiety about this healing is understandable, but remember that a lot of people recover well, even when they encounter some bumps and potholes along the way. We’re going to get there.
 
I've been kinda MIA, I needed to take a little break. I don't really have much to report other than I'm in a holding pattern until my surgery March 26th.

My insurance has denied me any more PT appointments despite me only having used 15 of my 45 yearly "allowed." I guess they get to decide when I'm done, which is frustrating. I got a nice letter saying I could just do my exercises at home. After my revision it kind of resets the progress so I imagine they'll approve more and if they don't, I'll decide if I really want to go back and fight it.

I'm losing my physical therapist which makes me more anxious about the upcoming revision. She's having back surgery, she joked we may be in the same hospital at the same time. I told her I'd come up and see her if we are. Then she's moving to a different office which would be a 30 minute drive from me. I've considered if I continue to do PT I'd drop to one day a week and drive there to see her. I'm kind of ambivalent about everyone else at the physical therapist's office, maybe because I'm spoiled and just haven't seen any of them on a regular basis before and I'm just not familiar with them.

Somehow my surgery got scheduled/approved for in Washington, not Alaska. So I spent the better part of last week on the phone with my OS office and my insurance company trying to get that straightened out, with both telling me it was the other that had to fix it. I finally got confirmation Friday that it was corrected and they are sending out a new approval letter to me with the correct hospital on it.

I have my pre-op appointment this week and strangely I feel more anxious and unsure about this surgery than either of the other two. I have more questions about this surgery than the previous two, so I've written them all down to take with me. I feel like my leg has gotten a little worse, I notice the shifting more and I have to be really careful with it.

My right is still.... painful? I hesitate to use the word pain but it's just stiff or sore, in the back, like hamstrings or something is pulling. I have times when it's more clunky/clicky than normal and I have to fight really hard not to let it get into my head that there's something wrong with it too. I have pretty good bend and straight, the last time anyone measured it was 120/0, and that was weeks ago. The good news is it feels stable to me. I had my 3 month post-op appointment for it last week and my surgeon said everything looked and felt fine. He said my legs were "messed up" and it's going to take a while for stuff to feel normal again. I had a concern that my ankle started clicking when I walk and that sometimes when I first stand up I want to stand on the outside of my foot until things loosen up. He thinks it's just everything adjusting to a new way of walking.

Still very much winter here, I can't wait for spring. Our winter has been alternating dumping snow then the temperatures dropping below zero. Today it's dumping snow, by Wednesday it's supposed to be -7 at night again.
 
Hi @sondrals . I was wondering you you're getting on. It sounds as if your check-up appointment went well.

It's good to hear that your revision surgery is now confirmed. I've added your name to the March Musketeers surgery list.
 
@Celle - thank you, I had my pre-op yesterday which went fine as well.

I am a little bit concerned that the covid-19 might delay/cancel my surgery. Has that happened anywhere that we know of?

As of right now we have no confirmed cases here but everyone is on high alert. I imagine if there were to be an outbreak here, things might change rapidly.
 
I've not heard of any cancellations because of the virus.
 
There was a statement from Bonesmart about the COVID-19, which had a link to the Skin repair stuff on it, can someone point me in the right direction for that? I thought there was a coupon lol and I'd hate to miss out on saving a little bit
 
I was sent an email. Did you get it?
 
It hasn't yet here, but most likely it will be. Which is hugely disappointing for me since they're recommending 3-4 months, which means I have to live with a knee that doesn't work for at least that long
 
@sondrals
I am in Ohio and no elective surgery here now. We just spoke to a man whose wife is having a TKR right now, and she might be the last one of the day for the foreseeable future here in Northeastern Ohio. We are ground zero for wonderful health care with the Cleveland Clinic, but they are really preparing for the outbreak, and elective surgery is not in their protocols. We are under total self-imposed semi-isolation in our house, as we are over 70. I was hospitalized for sepsis last year, so I am a bit concerned about immunity. I am really not alarmed in general for my health, and hanging out in the house with my knee recovery has gotten me quite used to not going out. It would be very frustrating for you to have to put off knee surgery, but in this situation it may not be a good idea for many reasons. Even at six weeks post surgery as I am, I can't get physical therapy and can barely reach my doctor for questions. Any kind of complication might get sidelined for you and that would not be good in the early weeks. Ugh. I know how awful it is to keep postponing this and keep enduring the knee pain, and having a surgery date is sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep well!
 
@aperture they're recommending hospitals eliminate all elective surgeries here, they've not actually done it but I figure it's only a matter of time. The hospitals are holding a press conference tonight.

Today has been hugely stressful, our city shut down all restaurants (dine in, you can still do pick up/delivery), bars, theaters, gyms. My boyfriend works at a restaurant so now we have no idea if he has a job or not, what kind of hours he might be working, etc. So far they've said nothing about how these people are to survive with reduced or no income.

My office is very small, but I have to walk into a mall to get to it. My boss won't let us work from home. So I'm forced to go into public every single day and expose myself. And the looming potential for cancellation, just kind of all crazy
 
I’m sorry about your boyfriend’s job, these are unsettled times, for sure.
 
I got a phone call this morning that my surgery has been cancelled because my insurance only covers the hospital and the hospitals here are now not doing elective surgeries. They're going to attempt to see if my insurance will extend coverage to one of the surgery centers and reschedule but I'm not super optimistic about that. So I'm cancelled indefinately and with my coworker leaving end of April, I don't know when I'd be able to do it because we have no coverage at work.
 
So sorry to hear that, globally very uncertain times at the moment here too all non urgent surgeries are cancelled too as hospitals needs the beds.
Can the doctor give you something to help in the meantime?
Hopefully a vaccine soon found and we can all get our lives back to normal :prayer:
Sending virtual hugs to you xxx
 
They tried a brace but none of them fit me, they either slid or cut my leg off to the point where I couldn't move it. I can (or could of, not sure anymore if I still can) get a custom brace but they cost about 2-3000 dollars which my insurance won't cover. So I'm stuck with "use your walker and don't fall." I'm not in pain and not going to die from it so I understand the delay. It's just emotionally exhausting because we'd put everything in place to do this a 3rd time and now this.

Plus everything's just kind of scary right now. I was unsure about being in a hospital but we have one confirmed case in our city (3 total in our state) so I felt relatively comfortable with going forward with it. Our city has mostly shut down (except my work, they still expect me to work!), so everything is really surreal.
 
Back
Top Bottom