Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

Hello @sondrals, I've been following around BS, keeping track of you and others, I have to agree this is a surreal time for most of us. I keep trying to relate it to some other "unknown" that I've experienced in life so that I have something I can relate it to, which will help me process this. Well, I am finding that I don't really have anything to relate it to...there are too many what if's for me to even think I can wrap my brain around it!

I am sorry to hear about the postponement, yet it is for the best of course! So many people posting a postponed surgery because of this. I hope your boyfriend's job will be ok during this challenging time, and that your work can give you some safety since they are requiring you to come in still.

Oregon is between 2 hotspots (Washington and California) they moved quickly with closures as precautionary measures and yet...as a state employee, we are all still working too. I've been putting in a few hours here and there of vacation time, just to limit exposure. The worksite has been very proactive with no meetings, hand sanitizer everywhere, and hand washing reminders, plus we all are learning social distancing at this point.

Take care and be safe!!
 
Last edited:
@Macknit things have gotten really scary here. My brother has been laid off. I’m not sure about my job. My boss is traveling right now and can’t get back. We closed our lobby and are doing appointment only and sending things by mail/email only. Outside of grocery stores and delivery only restaurants, everything is closed (which is a good thing it just feels so weird).

They’ve suspended all elective surgeries for at least 3 months, so at least I know where I stand and can stop hoping.

I’m honestly having a hard time kinda holding it together most days. It seems like the number of cases doubles everyday. I have people I thought were friends blatantly posting pictures of their hoarding. Other friends who have travelled out of state recently and are obviously sick still going out into public, shopping and visiting other friends. No one is allowed at our house right now. Just us and the dog. In a way I feel lucky to still have a job but I don’t know how long that’ll be for. Some days I feel like I’m on the edge of my sanity and I’m sure I am not the only one.
 
sondrals
We are all in this together, glad you are taking the necessary precautions to protect your household. Sorry your friends are reacting the way they are, they are probably just as scared as the rest of us.
Very sad to hear about the friends who are obviously sick going out in public.
All we can do is take care of ourselves, and our neighbors as best we can, even if all we can to is text, or visit over the fence (in nice weather).
:console2:
 
Sondral we are all world wide in the same boat where there is no understanding fear, sets in unfortunately it's happening everywhere, being isolated short term due to an illness/operation is one thing but this is quite another- you are doing the right thing x Portugal declared itself a state of emergency and although we are not in total lockdown our lives are strictly limited with police on our streets monitoring all our movement and the over 70ties totally confined to their homes, we are able to shop but only 1 member of the family is allowed out, restaurants are only allowed to make takeaways and deliver other than chemists,(pharmacy) everything else is closed.
People living in towns are allowed short walks with their pets/children, again 1 adult at any time and a distance if 2mts from anyone on the street/stores etc.
I'm fortunate I live in the country with no neighbours so pretty much used to self isolation I also have the benefit of a garden and countryside and so far my husband and I are getting on haha we are not used to spending 24/7 together.
Towns come alive at 10pm daily people sing from their balconies and early mornings there are group gym glasses from their balconies this helps the solitude and creates good community spirit.
All my foreseeable consultations have been cancelled, try n keep your spirits up if you want to just chat I'm available on here or by message, try not and worry xxxx
 
You're definitely right to keep people out of your house, particularly when you know they've been sick. I
 
You're right @sondrals, it is a scary time and it is sad to see the hoarding, as this "lock down" continues, I hope more people will start to understand how to be kind and supportive of others, even if we must stand 6 feet away from each other. This time has been quite an eye-opener to see human behavior at its best and at its worst.

I hope you stay safe and comfortable while awaiting some normalcy in your life!
 
We’re doing alright up here. Our city and state has been out on “hunker down” status. All non-essential businesses are required to close and everyone is to stay home. My job is technically exempt from that but I need to talk to my boss tomorrow to verify. We did close our lobby and aren’t dealing in person with anyone. My boss has travelled out of state so he’s supposed to self-quarantine for 14 days. Right now I’m just thankful to even have a job. We tried to get groceries but we’re really limited as the stores are low on stock of almost everything.

I’m frustrated because my knee seems to be getting more unstable, I’m hoping it’s just me imagining it because of everything else going on.
 
You are smart not to let anyone in your house! This is serious stuff. We take some walks around the neighborhood and I go to the grocery store but that's about it. Limiting exposure is the key. It is rather depressing and overwhelming hearing constantly about the virus- I then try to limit the media I see or read and seem to not be able to help myself. Hang in there sondrals!
 
Thought I'd check in, nothing much has changed here really but I did tweak my left knee pretty good last week (for some reason when I went to sit down on the bed it folded up under me and I sat on it, twisting it and bending it a lot farther than I'd of liked to). So much so that I called my surgeon, he doubts I did any damage but I had so much swelling and pain I'm back on Celebrex again for a bit. He offered me a hinged brace but said most likely I wouldn't like it and wouldn't wear it, so I passed for now unless the instability gets worse. He's frustrated, I'm frustrated, we have a total of like 21 people hospitalized in our entire state. But they have closed all the hospitals (except one hospital if you're well-connected enough, you can still have your surgery there, touchy subject) to elective surgeries, leaving a lot of people in pain, he says he hears the same story everyday from his patients but he has no control over any of it other than to make them wait. I get the reason they shut elective surgeries down, but... it's a little frustrating to be stuck in a unknown waiting time situation. Especially since our system is very far from being overrun, and they even set up two off-site treatment centers which are sitting empty. I'm also now faced with if I lose my job, I lose my insurance, which means no surgery. And even if I don't lose my job most likely I won't be able to do it until August or so because that's when my boss thinks I can take some time off. So another summer gone.

So far we are faring well, though I had to admit this is harder mentally, possibly because I'd been in "quarantine" for like 8 months prior to this because of my previous surgeries. I want to get out of the house and now it's just not possible or smart to do so. Winter is still hanging on here, snow again yesterday, we're below our normal temperatures for this time of year, so I'm sure that is not helping either. Groceries and supplies are hard to come by, there seems to be a lot of hoarding here. Grocery delivery and pick up are running a week to a week and a half out.

I hope everyone is staying safe and healing well.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sondrals’ Revision
Hang in there, @sondrals ! This has to come to an end eventually.
We're with you in thought, even if we can't visit you physically. :friends:
 
I got a phone call from my actual surgeon, all but unheard of, they've opened up some elective surgeries here again. They're trying to get my revision approved for either the 5th or 12th of May. Fingers crossed.

Two questions, has anyone ever done a revision "awake." I talked with my surgeon about it, he said he has no problem with it, but it's ultimately up to the anesthesiologist. I guess in a way I'm trying to prevent being intubated again.

Also my right knee... the one from December, still kinda hurts. I'm assuming that's somewhat normal? It seems to pop/clunk/something a lot. Also I'm having hip problems on that side too, so that's fun!

Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Wow - well done on getting a surgery date soon!
I guess in a way I'm trying to prevent being intubated again.
Can you have a spinal and sedation? I would not recommend being fully awake. It's very noisy surgery. But a spinal with sedation means you won't need a breathing tube.
 
I had a spinal and sedation and would choose that way any day over a general. I knew nothing at all and didn't wake up nauseous.
 
They actually called me today, I'm scheduled for the 7th at 12:30. I have my pre-op on Wednesday. I have to get a Covid-19 test within 48 hours of my surgery.

With the spinal would you need to stay overnight? And with it being a revision would it be as noisy?
 
With the spinal would you need to stay overnight?
I would imagine with any revision surgery you would need to stay overnight - especially since your surgery is at 12:30. It's not anaesthetic dependent. It is how stable you are and how well your pain is controlled. You will also need to be able to move around on your own before leaving the hospital.
And with it being a revision would it be as noisy?
Yes, it's "carpentry" as they say. But with a spinal and sedation you are in a nice, comfy sleep and you won't see or hear anything.
 
ok, I just wondered since it's a spacer exchange if it'd go fairly quickly. I'm fine with me staying overnight if need be. They talked about doing it day-surgery style and sending me home the same day. But I assume since it's so late in the day it'd less likely that'd be an option.
 
There is a possibility they could do this day case. But I wouldn't want you to be disappointed if you had to stay.

They will discuss all this in your pre-op assessment.

I'll update your signature and get you added to our May group.
 
I think you'd be much better off staying overnight to make sure everything is OK after completely waking up from your surgery and that your pain is under control.
 
@Jaycey Thank you! I'm just hoping for no more hiccups.

@sistersinhim I agree, but I'd also like to be there as little time as possible and still be sure everything is under control. I think it's still considered day surgery as long as they release me before 24 hours is up
 
Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
 
Back
Top Bottom