THR Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22, your walking and all the stuff you are doing sounds just great to me. I could not tie my shoes like that for all the money in the world! Isn't it a shame that a few little exercises and stretching, of all things, gives a person pain? I tried stretching for my lower back and it achieved nothing. I read somewhere here on BoneSmart that someone has said stretching is now not such a great idea. But I guess others think it's great. It's all confusing. And I never dreamed swimmming or doing anything in the water could be anything but beneficial. I was counseled many times by well-meaning friends (who don't live in NYC) that I should simply schlep to a pool after work around 8 p.m. and swim and my hip pain would go away. Eye roll.
You're right to count the good things you can do. I need to remember that myself. I now tend to have really good mornings and good afternoons, then it all falls to pot lower evening. But at least half the day is pretty good. So I am thankful for that.
I have heard such stories about arthroscopy and how difficult and painful it is. I'm so sorry you had to go through that and itdidn't work. But how could you know?

Fingers are crossed, ladies, that we don't have to go though all this again.
 
Peaches Do you live alone? i thought you might after reading your description of your apartment above. I live alone (with two elderly black labrador retrievers), and I think that may play a part in all the anxiety and awfulizing I am doing in this pre-op period. Too much quiet time to ruminate, etc.? I've lived alone a long time and generally speaking I prefer it. BUT, being unable to do much of anything at all, it gets to be a bit isolating or something. My DIL and grandsons come all the time to help me with stuff and take me shopping, so it's not like I live on the moon, but I think I very much miss the everydayness of doing stuff, going here and there, socializing with folks and chatting, etc. I can't even get up the steps to church anymore. AND I am struggling with trying to quit smoking. And of course I am newly retired and that's a big life change. Maybe I am just expecting way too much of myself to thing I'd just chug along and feel sort of OK now. Without this forum I would probably have been in the loony bin by now.
 
Peaches. It doesn't matter what the mileage is at all. The suggestion for health is to work up to 10,000 steps, whatever that is for you, according to this site that I've been using to guide myself, until my cheesy pedometer fell apart after it bounced off of my waist band. (Hope the Omron has a better clip than mine does?)
Here's the site: https://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html
Don't know if it is medical sound. Just seemed okay.
I did some hilly walking today and had the same lower back pain you describe. Not fun.
 
Peaches Im sorry. I didn't get an alert ! 11,000 steps !!!!!!! Even if you 'only' think that is 3 miles - wow that's a fair distance to walk anyway. I'm going to have to get me a pedimeter. I had one that came free with walker's crisps but it wasn't very good and the battery went. I'm going to get a proper one.
Yes, I do zumba twice a week and have done for a couple of years. I do an hour of 'proper' zumba and an hour of zumba gold - which is slower and less energetic. Zumba is one of these things that you can put in as much or as little effort as you like, so even though it might look really full on, you do it at your own pace and modify the moves to suit yourself or have a rest in the middle of the class if you feel like it.

That's good advice about considering injections as Songlady suggested if your hip has gone bad as you suspect . I had one in my knee 3 weeks ago. I didn't think it had done much, but seems to have kicked in now and is a lot more comfortable - not 100% but a definite improvement. Ive noticed that now my knee isn't so painful, Im walking better in general, so it might help with the pain you are getting elsewhere, plus will give you that breathing space to allow you time to build up your sick leave again. Definitely push for an MRI if the xray doesn't show much.
 
Hi Peaches I agree with the others - I don't think the mileage matters as much as the action of doing steps. My "indoor" steps are certainly different from my "outdoor" steps, and the length of my pace on a crowded sidewalk is very different from what it is when the coast is clear. Let's see.... I only put mine on this afternoon, (not morning as usual, because of a variety of things) and it says 4665 steps, which is supposedly 1.47 mile.
If you tap the "memory" button it should show you 1 day before, 2 days before... back for a week.

Sometimes mine will say I've done 250 steps by the time I've come down the stairs and puttered around the kitchen to make my coffee! Those are "little" steps, to be sure, as I reach into a cabinet or the fridge! But I find it fun to count.
LeeApril26 the Omron clips (I clip it to my jeans pocket) and then has a strap with an additional clip. This additional clip broke on mine this summer in my backpack in transit from our weekend away and I've used a big safety pin to attach it firmly to my pocket!:snork:
Kim22 I am trying to find your post about shoe tying.......
TeeEm your gold zumba sounds like my restorative yoga class. there were a few semi-pretzel moves today that I just ignored!:loll:
 
Songlady, Kim22, TeeEm, LeeApril26 and anyone else I've missed about this pedometer thing. I hope it doesn't matter that my "aerobic steps" are nothing. Looking back on this past work week, I've put in these regular steps: 9,000 one day; 6,000 the next two days: 6500 the next. Lost track of one day. One day I had a lot of pain and walked the minimum to/from work and at lunch. Two other days were low-pain days and I felt wonderful while walking. Some of these days that had the same steps were days where I walked more before/after work and during lunch; one day I walked half mile after work, yet the next day I walked half that. On the 9,000-step day, I deliberately added a lot of extra blocks on my lunch hour and then after work and before work, too. The other days not so much extra blocks.

As for pacing, quickness: Except when I am dodging long dog leashes, bicyclists, and kids and their parents on scooters and skateboards, I feel I am walking about the same as most normal people. I am not zooming around, but don't want to zoom around, unless I am trying to avoid getting hit. I tack on stopping into the grocery store, standing around in line, shopping, on top of walking a few blocks after work. When I have a day or two of that with low pain and can take long strides on occasion, I feel GREAT. So happy, I have tears in my eyes, thinking, THIS is what walking felt like five, six years ago. But in the same week I can have such pain in my lower back and sometimes the other hip, I am concerned. And I have to add, even on the low pain days, my non-op hip is painful when I go up stairs. So I don't know what to think.

I am still taking extra-strength Tylenol--four or six a day. It surely masks some pain, but doesn't mask all of it. I don't consider this the same thing as taking prescription painkillers, though of course am aware of and concerned about the side effects. I know that OTC stuff is for pain, but I think it's fine to take an OTC pill for pain sometimes. I have erratic pain regardless ofwhether taking Tylenol or not, but definitely feel overall better when the pain is kept a bit at bay by the Tylenol. Hope I'm not making a mistake. I really don't know what to think. but I am thrilled at the low-pain days I have had.

I highly recommend this particular pedometer. It works like a charm.
 
Hi, Butterfly. I hope this week has gone better for you, though i know how stressful the waiting time is.
Yes, I do live alone. I think I would wonder and worry about all the stuff I told you I worried about (in ref to this surgery) even if I didn't live alone. I think it's normal to worry about all of it, and anyone who doesn't worry about it is unusual or maybe has had lots of surgeries and thus fewer "unknowns." Just speaking for myself, I need a lot of space and time and like to try to find answers to thinks to quell my fears. Like i said elsewhere, once I read that nine out of ten or even ten people had no problems with the epidural, then I found I stopped worrying about it.
I know some people subscribe to the theory that if you are busy with other people, you will not worry about your own problems. I think that's true for some things, but for me, anyway, it doesn't work for all things. Like I said, I like to find out what others have gone through and possible solutions, and I like to have all my ducks in a row and have everything organized and ready to go ... then, once I'm all prepared, I get a lot of solace from that. The unknowns, and having no time to research them, drives me nuts. So working right up to surgery time, or going back to work early--all so i would be "too busy to worry about it" was not the solution for me at all. But that's just me.

I do think if someone has a supportive partner, that could be a world of good. You know, the kind of husband/significant other who in deeds and words lets you know you aren't alone and you'll have some type of emotional or literal assistance. I can't imagine how much of a load that would take off, as I just don't have that. I gots to do it all by myself, and probably dont' realize how much of a burden that can be.

BUT ... I am a firm believer that everything has a trade-off, whether we design it or not. It just does. If you have a supportive spouse in your life, that means you in turn support him during his trials. And that might be hard if you are recovering from surgery. So while I didn't have anyone in my corner 24/7, I also had the luxury of taking a nap when i needed to without worrying I wasn't awake and up to help my mate.

And not every mate is supportive, as we all know! Some of my friends live with little boys rather than men, and they are not helpful. Or can't be helpful because of their own stuff.

I have a friend on the other hand who lives with a man who defines the word "doting" and he adores her and would do anything for her. But she is highly neurotic about some things and no amount of support and sustenance from him can help her when she gets fixated on something.

So in the end I don't think it matters necesssarily if you live alone or not. But that's just my opinion......
I sure dont' have much figured out in this life!

I hope you're having a better week.
 
Peaches From what I've read, just walking normally for decent distances is good for you. I don't think I will ever zoom around on city streets again-too afraid of tripping on a broken sidewalk, or over one of those truly scary kids on skateboards and scooters. I do zip through the supermarket, though. And, it seems like you are doing lots of walking.
I am also having good days and bad days. No more NSAIDS because I had "slightly elevated renal levels" after my annual check up tests last week. Doctor said it could just be dehydration, so I am being re-tested this week. In the meantime I am continuing with turmeric, rose hips and tart cherry extract-all of which are supposed to reduce inflammation. Not taking them for my operated hip-just for the arthritic issues I have everywhere else-sigh.
 
@Peache, I still think you're walking a lot! Fours days ago I walked 9,898 steps, but since then I seem to have hovered around the 4,500 - 5,500 range. Most days I am taking 2 Vicodin (which seems just a little stronger than tylenol) and 2 tylenol. And some of my "Traumagesic", the natural stuff I have, if I wake in the night hurting.
I am beginning to not take the Vicodin.... depends on activity level and whatever it is that triggers the pain, which, like you all, seems to vary with exactly what the activity is and is sort of unpredictable. Some days there seems to be a lot of pain and others, not, and it seems random. A choir member greeted me at rehearsal the other evening by saying, "You're limping!!... and you don't have a third hip that needs surgery, so what's up?!" :gaah:

Peaches, I think you are so insightful! Your post about being alone and centered vs busy and distracted... yes!! :iagree: I have come to realize, over the decades of making music for an audience, that I MUST have "alone time" to think everything through, and to come to terms with my own nerves. I tried the "busy and distracted" thing a few times and found that the nerves just ganged up on me at the moment of performance!:shocked:

However, if I have a backache or something like that, (not a "facing into event" but just an annoying background issue) I tend to forget about it if I find myself occupied with helping or listening to someone else's issues.

I hope your renals levels turn out fine, LeeApril26. My mom's were screwy a lot in the rehab last spring, and although she has a bouquet of issues, her kidneys turned out to be fine. Hope that's true with you, too!!!
 
Peaches You are right -- I really NEED my alone time, and generally I love living alone. And you are sure right about non-supportive spouses -- I had one of those and wouldn't go back to that for anything. As you say, sometimes being involved with others helps me put things to the back of my mind, but not all the time. I kinda doubt it would work with the anxiety about all this either. I've just got myself worked up into what my mother would have called a "tizzy" and can't seem to break free of it. I like to have all my ducks in a row, too, and I so wish I felt well enough to line 'em up, but alas, my pain level doesn't allow me to do that. I am itching to get my spare room cleaned out, and have started it a couple of times, but had to abandon it because I simply couldn't do it, even hanging on to my walker. Oh well, all things in time I guess. I can work some on that when I am well into recovery -- or not until later. It isn't a crisis or anything -- I do wish I could do a bit more around my house. i have become totally sedentary and do not like it one bit. Perhaps I need to work a bit more on patience and acceptance, ya think?

Peace and love to you.
 
Songlady I can't remember where I posted but I as explaining that although I am still in pain and can't exercise without it exacerbating the pain I have very good ROM.I found that When I was trying on dresses in the Marks and Spencer fitting room I could tie the laces on my trainers standing up.I had to as there were no seats to sit on and I felt that was real progress.
 
Peaches I recognise those emotions of such extreme happiness when I can walk normally that I have a tear in my eye at those times too. What a shame they don't last.I still take both paracetamol with ibuprofen 3 times a day which helps a little.I have stopped all exercises as they lead to more pain and just do shorter walks on the level as well as the stationary bike for 15 mins twice a week.I agree with you that there are pros and cons of living alone or with a partner.I would have been lost without my husband in the recovery stage of this operation Monday you.I also agree that we all need time alone too.You are managing to do lots of walking which is good and I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not they are aerobic steps as long as you are walking LeeApril26 I hope your renal levels are ok I am going to ask for a renal function test from my GP tomorrow as I have been taking anti inflammatories for so long.
 
Kim22 sorry you are having pain when exercising. I will browse for your post about that. I just go bout my life, and sometimes it hurts. If I've been very sedentary during a day I'll walk around the neighborhood (Peaches about 2,800 steps.)
The yoga sometimes helps and sometimes make me hurt. Because the activities change from session to session, I haven't been able to make sense of it yet to make a correlation.
Today my work activities were unusual and had me standing at receptions for colleagues twice during the day (different work sites.) That made me hurt more than anything! But now, sitting here at my computer, it doesn't feel bad. So.... it comes and goes.
 
Kim22 Thanks, Kim. I'm taking a retest tomorrow, and hope it will improve. I'll be away for a week, so won't know the results til I get back. (We're visiting our son and his wife in LA)
 
Hi, Cookie42 ...

What you said:
he older I get, the less sure I am of anything.
Yep. But for me it's more like the less sure I am of how I'm going to handle something. This hip thing really threw me since it made me feel so vulnerable, not being able to get around well. I always told all the surgeons I consulted with prior to surgery that I really just wanted to be an able-bodied person who could be productive and independent and get through an ordinary day without big problems, feeling incapacitated, etc. That's all. Nothing dramatic or "big" like climbing mountains or running marathons. Just being an able, capable senior citizen.
How are you getting along, Cookie? (Cookie is one of my favorite names.)

Songlady ... what you said:
if I have a backache or something like that, (not a "facing into event" but just an annoying background issue) I tend to forget about it if I find myself occupied with helping or listening to someone else's issues.

THIS is what I aspire to! I want to get involved in more everyday things--volunteer work; being a more helpful friend; engaging more with the world--without being tormented / distracted by the screaming back pain. And so far it's really hard. I can't focus on others when the pain is bad. I do find that sometimes if I start walking a bit, it will settle down somewhat. But this is just like what pre-op life was like, for five years. So I get discouraged. This has been a huge challenge for me, finding out post-op that the THR did NOT resolve all problems.

I am rethinking "long walks" and instead am doing shorter, more frequent walks.

The value of the pedometer for me is that it shows me how little I am doing when I am home, not going out.
I'm not really using it the way a non-surgical patient is, trying for aerobic steps. Just wanting to gauge how many i'm taking. It's a been very helpful.

I'm sorry you needed to stand for long periods; standing is often a problem. And I've always thought your organ playing is a lot of exercise and can see why you might sometimes limp. That's a workout!

LeeApril26 ... I'm very sorry about the renal report, but hopefully it will not turn out to have been a problem once you have it retested. Hopefully drinking more water is what you needed to do. I can see why you'd be concerned, though. We are all worried about this. Please let us know what you find out, and try not to worry. I know that's easier said than done. And have fun on your upcoming trip to L.A.! I am reminded of a scene from "Annie Hall," where Woody's character is visiting her friend who moved there from NYC and Woody is criticizing L.A. right and left, saying something like, "No one ever walks out here! They drive from the driveway to the house." Maybe for us, at this point, that would be great if it's true. Did you have to get a card from your OS for the airport scanners?

Kim22 ... I can't fathom tying shoelaces while standing up! That sounds really great, to me.
Do people call Marks & Spencer "Marks & Sparks"? I read that in a British novel once, or I think I did. I had to go there when I visited London because I'd read about it in novels.

I'm sorry you are having pain upon exercising, but your walking and cycling IS exercise. I feel like we are all in the middle of a mystery novel, trying to solve the "crime" of unexplained pain. This is all so mysterious and frustrating. I'd go nuts without you guys.

Butterfly ... I wish I could help with your tizzy. I understand how crazy making the pre-op time can be. If you don't need to clean out the guest room--that is, if you don't need it for your recovery--then put it on your "to do--later" list. Having said that, if you do need to do things around the house that will help you during your recovery, such as have clothes ready and easy to reach, I suggest you really try to get some help doing that stuff. Because after the surgery, you wont' be able to. Of course I am not assuming you are not organized. I was NOT, and it was last-minute nightmare trying to get my house in order. I sincerely do think that you will find--as almost if not all of us have--that getting through the surgery/hospital time really is pretty much not a big deal like we thought it'd be.

I hope everyone has a wonderfully normal, low-pain, predictable week!
 
Peaches. I do have a card from the OS but from what I've read the cards are not much help as anyone can produce one on a home computer. We will head to JFK early and hope for a nice person. And you and Woody Allen are right. They drive everywhere, and distances that stun me. The first time we went to visit we drove 60 miles from the airport to our hotel, then back30 miles to his wife's mom's place, another 25 miles to the restaurant, and then back I don't how many miles to the hotel. Probably more than 150 miles in total, and in and out of the car countless times between our arrival at 3 pm and our return to the hotel at 11 pm. And, lots of this was on the 405, which makes the LIE look like a back road. I just close my eyes. People do walk along the beach, or at the many malls, but drive three blocks to get milk. Our son runs, bikes and surfs, but is surprised when I suggest we walk for milk. It is very strange for me, but he loves it.
Thanks for the good wishes. I'm drinking lots of water and will go for the test at about 11 am.
 
Peaches You are correct Marks and Spencer is known as Marks and Sparks.My daughter works for them but for their bank rather than in the retail section.She still gets the 20% discount which is great for us too.They are a good company to work for as they really look after their employees.

Yes this recovery is one big mystery and if we could work out what was causing the pain we would have some chance of knowing what to do and how much to do.I am baffled.Ordinary daily activities seem to be causing me pain now but I have been doing a lot more caring of my mother over the past few days due to her having another fall which has led to her loosing her confidence.Currently I just ache all over and the worse pain besides the legs of course is in my left side where I imagine my SI joint to be.So I ache when I exercise and ache when I don't.I can't wait to attend the clinic a week tomorrow with my list of questions

LeeApril26 enjoy LA with your son and daughter in law.I expect the sun always shines out there.
 
Kim22 When we went out for Christmas it was mostly cold and rainy-warmer and sunnier in NYC. That's because we were on the coast, and they get fogged in. A few miles away, in Beverly Hills, Hollywood and the suburbs, it is usually sunny and warm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom