Guest viewing is limited

THR Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, calikat ... thank you for visiting and for your helpful words. I will visit your thread to see how you are coming along. Hip dysplasia is the source of all the evil in my hips, too, though it was mild compared to what most people go through. I was terrified of a PAO and too old for it, anyway. I read in a book about "what your hip surgeon wont' tell you" that a THR for someone with hip dysplasia is considered "difficult" and I worried unnecessarily about that. My current OS said mine wasn't bad enough to create problems for the surgery. So I was lucky.

You are right about chronic pain. People just don't/can't "get it" if they haven't been through it. I think living with invisible chronic pain for so many years has been harder than figuring out the surgery's recovery path. I had a lot of good years being able to walk long distances without batting an eye and never had back pain at all till the hip dysplasia demons ruined my hip, so I sometimes tell myself to shut up and be grateful the first 50 years of my life were pain and drama free. That is not the case for so many people. Especially with hip dyplasia.
 
Peaches I think we hang out and the BS Bar and Grill at different hours-and I don't seem to be getting alerts reliably. Glad I got this one.
Sorry to hear about your computer and land line. You don't need that when you are dealing with back and hip pain. Please let us know the results of the MRI and other tests. I wonder if your back pain is related to the unoperated hip? If you are interested in a chiropractor, I know of a good one in the Union Square area. I haven't seen her in a while but she has helped me in the past.
I am also grateful that my operated hip is working well, and in general may get sore if I am too active but usually works. My expectation was that once I recovered from surgery I would be able to do what I did before my hip started acting up in 2012. I am not anywhere near being able to do what I was once able to do.
Well, as we progress on this healing continuum, maybe the new hip will take up more of the effort, and the other pains will subside. Hope so, anyway.
 
Peach where I can do the things I need to do, and resting is optional! So I have no further excuses for not doing them....

I'm gathering you're still having pain in other joints-- I am sorry, and hope you can get to the bottom of that soon! I am very very fortunate that the better my new hip gets, the better my old, "now the bad"hip gets. I know that won't last forever, but I enjoy it while I can.

I would love to pick your brain on ideas for running a nice wedding rehearsal dinner cookout next summer-- if you're game for some freebie consulting, PM me?
 
Peaches I am so pleased that you are having investigations for your back pain and your left hip which should give you some answers and more importantly some solutions. I have noticed on here that a lot of people seem to have back pain which turns out to be hip related,same as knee pain which is referred from the arthritic hip.It would be great if this was the case for you and having the left side replaced would also solve the other issues. Before I had my op the right knee was very painful that it was worse than the hip so much so that when I needed crutches it was for the knee and not the hip but the knee pain disappeared as soon as I had the surgery.

My operated hip has improved and was actually pain free last week for a few days.I coped well with the car journey to my daughters but made sure that I stopped every 40 minutes to stretch my legs which seemed to help.We managed to look after Jack overnight and he was a little treasure as he slept all night and he is now 11 months so he is at a very interesting age.Our 2 night stay in Liverpool was a big success and I managed to walk for hours including inclines and cobble stones.We visited the childhood homes of Paul McCartney and John Lennon which involved a lot of standing around and still my hip was good.Some aches in the left hip but the right side was pain free.I was fine the next day too so yesterday took a long walk along a level disused railway line near to our home which was obviously too much as I am in a more pain today in both sides The left knee is particularly bad and it reminds me of my right hip before my op.So no chance of discontinuing the paracetamol just yet.I really thought that I had left the roller coaster ride behind but I am back on the ride.However,looking back I have had some good days and can only hope that I will have some more very soon as when the pain subsides I feel on top of the world.I am seeing a physio in the morning which should be interesting.

Take care and I hope your computer problems are resolved very soon.
 
Hi Peaches

Thanks for taking an interest in my holiday plans. We are setting off on Friday for a Mediterranean cruise, with US friends. However, despite your speculations, we will not be in Paris, Texas, with Texans, nor indeed in Paris, France, with Texans. The cruise starts in Rome, and ends in the South of France.

We met this couple two years ago on holiday in South America, and, quite apart from them being a very likeable, fun, and entertaining couple, we were fascinated that they fulfil for us most Brits' stereotyped image of true Texans. They say "y'all" a lot. And when they sent us pictures of their ranch...

I imagine that for them we meet their picture of English "country bumpkins". Unfortunately, we let them down big-time when we said we have no interest whatsoever in Downton Abbey, and have never watched an episode. We'd much rather have a US cops'n'robbers movie, with car chases.

"Two nations divided by a common language," eh?

I really wish the GoshCruise stalwarts were coming with us on this cruise. That was a really fun thread.

As for any suggestion of me being brave about my accident and subsequent infection... let's get one thing straight... No, I wasn't.

They were just things that happened, and things that had to be fixed. I am thankful that I am loads better now. My one-year appt after my second revision surgery should be in November, and I will be very scared that the X-rays might show the first tell tale signs of another infection. (I still have no idea how the first one came about.)

I wonder if any of you New Yorkers know anything of my old college chum, Ric Davies? Of the 20 or so of us on the Journalism course in 1970, he was definitely one of the ones Most Likely to Succeed. I believe he is now on a major New York radio station, doing mostly money and consumer affairs pieces.

All the best to all of you who have not found this surgery to be the easy fix for which it has somehow, mysteriously, gained a reputation. I'll check in with all your threads on return.

Glynis
 
Hi, glynis ... your BoneSmart compadres are cruising with you in spirit, making wisecracks about all the fun details for THR recoveries. It sounds like a wonderful trip and I hope you'll check in if you have time to let us know all about it. It is indeed mysterious how recovering from this surgery has often been described in such "easy peasey" terms. I suppose we can blame the orthopedic surgery world for some of that? But what I can't understand is when patients describe it that way. Take, for example, the comments that crop up whenever there's a glowing and glowingly underreported newspaper article about the miracles of THR and TKR (again, lumping the two in the same category--when we all know that a TKR is quite a bit harder than a THR). The comments seem to mainly run in the "I'm walking on water" camp, as if the patient either has no memory of the twists and turns in the recovery road or didn't experience them.

I had an unplanned six-month checkup with my OS last week. Thanks to the good thinking of LeeApril26, I think it was, I made an appointment with him about an "issue" with my other hip and scheduled X-rays for it. Which was all legit, of course. I really did/do have concerns. But he acted like I was there as well for a six-month review, of sorts, for the op hip. So it was reassuring. He had told me at six weeks that I needn't come back for a full year, and I was aghast at that. So LeeApril I think it was suggested that I cook up a reason to go back, since the OS said of course I could come back sooner than one year if I had "issues." Anyway, for any of you whose OS also said "don't come back for a year," don't take that as the last word.

The good news is that my other hip's joint space is well enough preserved that he does not think I need it replaced for now and maybe not for a while. When pressed, he did say he thought someday it would have to be replaced. He said he wants to see me in six months for both hips, so it will be Xrayed again at that time. I then asked him why I have persistent pain on the outer hip area, always when going up stairs. He said he didn't know, but ruled out trochanteric bursitis, though he did say it could be trochanteric tendonitis or tenderness. He also thinks my lower-back pain is stemming from the back and not either hip and I have to get the back problems resolved first and foremost. So I am seeing a back specialist the OS recommended and who is with the same hospital. MRI and X-rays. Hope to get some solutions.

On a much better note, the last week was a low-pain week and I didn't even need any OTC "pills" (Tylenol or Advil). No ice or heat, either. I did much more walking last weekend, over hills and dales--well, city hills and dales, that is; in the park--and achieved a walking milestone that made me quite happy. It isn't a straight road--I'm not walking miles nonstop with zero pain. I walked half a mile up a hill; stopped and sat; walked 1.25 miles around a gravelly path; stopped and sat; walked a half mile down a hill and stopped and sat; walked another half mile, went into several stores, lugged grocery bags home. Not pain free, but not horrible pain. That's how it goes. It feels pretty like a change in endurance and ability and strength, but with what I think are logical limitations of a 60-year-old overweight, out-of-shape broad who has "other hip" problems on the horizon and back problems.

I'm a reactor: If I have a good or better week, my spirits soar and THEN it is easy for me to feel up about things. When I am having a lot of pain and cannot "ambulate" well or for long, I do not feel up and buoyed.

I am feeling pretty darn upbeat and optimistic about things ... because I'm having a good, low-pain week.
Hope some of this helps someone, somewhere in their quest to understand the twists and turns of this recovery.
And understand that other factors that have nothing to do with your hip--such as a bad back that's bad because it's bad--can limit how euphoric and hopeful you feel about the recovery of your operated hip.

Poppet ... I tried but was unable to post on your recovery thread, so I will tag you here. I thought of you, anyway, wondering how you are doing with various things, your health, your husband's health, the weather, your job, etc. And I thought of you again because I saw three instances in one week of people walking around on city streets with what looked like Nordic poles. Wondered if that is now a new trend. One woman definitely had a pre-op pain look about her and I felt for her. The others looked pretty hale and hearty. I hope you are doing okay. Please let us know. It's hard to know where to post directly to you. I've enjoyed reading your health and nutrition articles, too. Thank you for all you do.
 
Gid'day Peaches, thanks for tagging me honey, anytime and I will come chat :)

I am pleased that you are mostly upbeat, recovery is a marathon, you are doing well when one considers your time frame. I am pretty much the same, back pain prevents me from walking very far without my Nordic walking sticks and working gets in the way time wise.. My other hip needs replacing, but I like you may be able to hang into my native hip a little longer. So just general living movement, walking around buildings at work and added to that I have just planted my veggie garden, so that has been fun. Hubby is down with another chest infection.. He needs a "sea change" = retirement! Still on our countdown.. I think if you often and the 'warrior girls'.. Miss you all heaps!

I am thrilled that you enjoy my articles, I have lots more to write.. So keep coming back and checking when you have time. Have you read the latest "Bone Health" there is a timeframe regards bone recovery which might interest you :) hugs from down under xx
 
Nice to see the half baked pie pic gone! Every time I saw that I wanted pie...

I had some intense back pain before hip one, all gone now unless I sit to long. I think moving helps. WOW! If we both start moving, walking, and doing all the right stuff we wont be overweight and out of shape...you start I'm getting a second hip tomorrow and will catch up with you later:whistle:

Have a great pain free, easy week
 
Peaches it is wonderful to hear about your low pain week. Here is to many more! :cheers:
 
Peaches So glad that your "good" hip does not need immediate surgery. That's great. The back stuff isn't, of course, but hopefully you will find a solution that does not involve surgery and weeks of recuperation.
Glad you had a low-pain week, and were able to run about.
I know what you mean about "hills and dales," though they are covered in concrete most of the time. I visited a friend at Mt. Sinai this week, and the hike up to the hospital from the subway was quite a trek.

glynis The name Ric Davies doesn't ring a bell. Will try to check him out. Hope you are having a fabulous trip with your Texas friends.
 
Ric Davies kind of rings a very distant bell, I think.
The Mt. Sinai hills are formidable, LeeApril26, but you did it! Amazing how not too long ago even the word "incline" could make the inner thighs scream. I'm glad you were able to tackle them and see your friend and hope he/she is out of there before long.

Thank you, calikat and flowergirl for your good wishes. Flowergirl, you will be on the good side of all of this tomorrow, and no more hips to replace! I'm glad your back pains have mainly resolved since surgery. Hope to get mine sorted out. Yes, that pie avatar was every kind of wrong: made me want pie, too! And yet was so unappetizing. I gave myself a reprieve from dieting these past 6 months after surgery; not at all sure that was the wisest move, but it's done. And now I am back on track and filled with resolve to slowly get the weight off. Have not found that the increased "moving around" after surgery has burned the calories like I'd thought since it's not "moving around" like we usually think of in terms of aerobic activity. But people can and do lose weight by just decreasing (sanely) their calories and eating those calories wisely, so I'm starting off that way. If I wait until I am really able to "move" to burn the calories, I'll be waiting way too long. All of this for YOU, on the eve of your second surgery, is not relevant. Just focus on keeping your energy up and don't worry about losing weight now. At least I think that's the right way to think about things. Sending loads of good wishes for your big day!
 
Hi, Josephine ... Am feeling a bit like a ninny about tagging you, but want to err on the side of caution. I had a routine physical exam with my primary care physician two weeks ago and only now got the results from the urinalysis. It said "small" amount of blood in urine (+1) and so I wondered if I should be concerned about it. It's been 7 months since my THR. My doc has not contacted me herself as of yet. I just got the automated email telling me results were in.

I also was planning to log in today specifically to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for Bonesmart. It is no understatement to say that I don't know what in the world I would have done without Bonesmart--you, Jamie, bottomshollow, Poppet, sharonslp ... everyone. I mean, I felt confident about my surgeon and his "team" ... but the info from them was bare bones compared to the treasure trove of information on Bonesmart. I will be eternally grateful to all of you.

A big hello and Happy Thanksgiving to those in the U.S. who are celebrating this holiday. And a big thank you to all my Bonesmart friends from all over who were so kind and helpful and patient with me.

Seventh-month report: The new hip seems to be doing really well. I am so thankful I had this surgery. I have moved on in the sense that I am tackling major back pain not related to the hip (and wish I could find a "BackSmart" forum) and should have realized months ago that this chronic pain in the back was not referred pain from the hip that would poof go away. I am now seeing a physiatrist at the same hospital as my OS and have had X-rays and MRI and a diagnosis (spondylolisthesis, impinged nerve, bulging disk, mild scoliosis, and eye of newt ....) and "plan": 2-3 months of PT; if that doesn't work (1 month in and $400 later, it has not helped one bit), injections (?).

But again, I am very grateful at how well my new hip is working. It's pain free when walking and doing stairs. Am amazed daily at what pain free feels like on that side. Amazing!
 
Happy Thanksgiving to you Peaches! I am sorry to hear about your back issues. I am kind of in the same boat. It is probably why I waited so long to do anything about my hip. I always thought it was all from my back. It turns out it was both. But the Ortho docs all said I should take care of the hip first and see where that would leave me. I have problems with my entire lumbar spine, but primarily L4 L5, L5 S1. There is actually a syndrome for us...Hip-Spine Syndrome. ;) https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/562667 I found forminal injections at L5 S1 AMAZING! I had 2. However, the pain comes back after about 6 weeks.
 
Sounds like I join the 'back pain' group! Sitting at work icing - it is a toss up between ice and heat... Think I will try both!

I feel for both of you dear Peaches and
calikat :(
 
It said "small" amount of blood in urine (+1) and so I wondered if I should be concerned about it.
It could be something or nothing. Generally a small amount of blood and/or protein can either be a minor bladder infection or maybe contamination from the perineum. A repeat urinalysis would be appropriate and would quite possibly be negative.
 
Hi, calikat ... hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Thanks for stopping by. Very sorry you too have these back problems. That syndrome and the article are fascinating. From what I read, it sounds like the people in the study who had a THR experienced decreased back pain after the surgery. Is that what you are experiencing? Hope so. I had a vacation from the lower back pain for two weeks after surgery, and was so happy. Then it came back and has never left. So I am clearly not experiencing this syndrome. But the operated hip seems to be doing fine. I don't know what I'd do without it. I'm glad those injections helped you. But maybe you won't need them anymore, if the THR takes care of the back problems? Keep me posted.

Thanks for responding, Josephine. I have contacted my doc and am having another test next week. My only concern this weekend has been if I should have started antibiotics right away, but since I don't have other symptoms associated with a UTI, my doc seems to think it probably is not an infection. (Now that I've had a THR, I tend to worry about any kind of infection.)
 
Peaches I have had a UTI twice since the surgery. Both times I was not given antibiotics. I had tests both times, and even my overcautious surgeon did not put me on antibiotics right away. Turns out I had elevated white blood cells but no bacterial infection. I consumed gallons of cranberry juice both times.
As you may recall, I was a wreck, but it seems like it had no impact on the hip.
Hope you are fine when you have the retest.
 
Hi Peaches. My take on the article and others that I have read regarding hip-spine syndrome was that fixing your hip could help improve your back pain. I have to say I don't really feel any improvement in my back, although I did at first. I think my back felt better from all the pain medication, rest, and ice...LOL. However I can now more clearly discern what pain is from my back and what is from my hip. Before my whole right low back/hip was just a swirl of aching pain.

ETA My spine doctor says it can take from 3 to 6 months to see if you have improvement in your back from a hip replacement. So I am still hopeful. I am just past the 9 week mark.
 
My only concern this weekend has been if I should have started antibiotics right away, but since I don't have other symptoms associated with a UTI, my doc seems to think it probably is not an infection.
I agree with your surgeon and think it is always unwise to use antibiotics 'just in case'. That's irresponsible use and what landed us with the evil of MRSA. There is also no evidence that such things are responsible for late onset peri-prosthetic infections anyway. None whatsoever.
 
Hi, everyone. @calikat ... I just wrote you on your thread about your thumb and hand surgery. Then I found your entry here on my thread from a while ago about the back situation. I do hope your back pain has turned out to be less so after / because of the hip surgery. Like those people in the article. (Alas, my back pain has nothing to do with the hip, so the hip surgery did not fix it even a smidgeon. I am now working with a PT who is trying to find the right exercises for my lower back that do not aggravate my other hip, which is now in pain most of the time. This has not been easy for her or for me, but I am hanging in there for now.)

I wanted to wish all my Bonesmart pals a Merry Christmas and tell you all what a gift it was to get t know you and to hear your comments and words of wisdom and compassion and support. You really made the recovery so much easier. I thank you all. I feel very touched by all of you and hope you are all recovering nicely.

I'm now at about 8 months out and my operated hip gives me no problems. I am so happy I did this surgery. Of all of the excellent advice I learned from Josephine, the thing that I think helped the most was to be aware of and "count" all of the little "activities" that we do while recovering: You know ... if you're going to stand there and cook dinner; don't also stand there and do dishes. Let them soak or get someone to do them for you. You can't do both activities and expect that you won't feel it. If you are going to PT, don't tack on a shopping trip right afterward.

The one thing I wish I had thought a lot about beforehand was this: Even if the hip surgery goes without a hitch and the hip is a dream ... which I believe is the case with me ... it doesn't mean you are going to be back to your old life of doing all you did with no pain and with nary a thought. My other hip has rebelled and wants to be fixed, and my lower back has problems that must be fixed ... so, no, at 8 months, I am not woo-hoo-ing that my old life is totally back and I'm walking miles nonstop and feeling no pain. I wish I hadn't expected that. But ... I'm now tackling the back and trying to handle the other hip so neither one gives me too much nonsense.

The other interesting thing I figured out, quite late, was that all this walking I was doing to strengthen the new hip was great for the new hip. But it made the lower back pain worse, and the other hip pain worse. So I am now rethinking all of that walking and modifying it and my expectations and my game plan for 2014.

I'll keep everyone posted. MERRY and HAPPY to everyone !!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom