Guest viewing is limited

THR Sometimes peachy, sometimes the pits

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same over here on the Northumberland coast so when there is a sea mist and its sunny inland we go west for a few miles and the sun comes out after a few miles.However most of the time its cloudy both inland and at the coast but I must stress that we were very lucky in Northern Europe this summer and what a difference.I feel that we actually had a summer so can cope with whatever autumn and winter throws at us.I am sure it will be nice to visit Beverley Hills where all the stars hang out !

I am having a blood test tomorrow to check renal function as well as a urine test.I don't think I drink enough water as I drink a lot of tea,
 
Kim22 Have a good drink of water before you go for the tests.
Nice that you had a good summer. Ours was rainy in parts, and in July amazingly hot, but it could have been worse.
 
Peaches Kim22 I have the test results. The numbers have gone down, but are not yet within normal limits. I need to be retested in a month. Thanks for your concern.
 
LeeApril26 ...SO happy the numbers are going down! Easy for ME to say "hang in there," but i know you know that's all you can do for now, till the next test. And it sounds like "drink lots of water" is key. I hope this enables you to enjoy your trip to La-La Land. Will this be your first post-op flight? That's pretty exciting. I'll be eager to hear all about it, if you have time for any details. It sounds like a fabulous trip, especially seeing your son and his wife.

Kim22 ... fingers crossed for your tests. Please let us know if you can. I am having some forum troubles this a.m. First, there is a block of text running vertically down my page; it's words from another thread. Weird.
I also stupidly don't know how to go back to the previous page and reread what all you said about your mother. But I am sorry for what's going on. Kim, I think there should be in the "amazing stories of recovery" thread pictures and posts about people who have survived surgeries and are dealing with the important stuff in life, like taking care of elderly relatives, parents, doing all the unglamorous but essential day-to-day stuff. In my book YOU guys are the heroes. Not everyone cares to use their recovery time to train for a marathon. Except the marathon of life.
 
Peaches I'm having the same problem with the forum and have since last night. Other things have gone haywire with my computer -- like going to a blank, black screen -- so I thought it was all tied together and was my problem alone. This doesn't sound nice, but I'm glad at least this one isn't just me!
 
That vertical print overlay is occurring to a lot of people, but the tech experts know about it and are working on it.

Peaches, I like your marathon of life analogy. Couldn't agree more!

Sharon
 
I am having the same problem with the print overlay and Peaches I totally agree with you on your opinion of the marathon of life.You explained it so well and made me feel better so thank you.My mother has been shaken up by the fall and she has lost her confidence.She is in a lot of pain from the bruise but the double Tramadol seems to be helping now.It is such a worry.

It's my 6 month anniversary today and have managed without any Ibuprofen for the first time in a while but still taking paracetamol
 
Kim22, congratulations on month 6! I am right behind you. I'm glad you did okay without the ibuprofen. I want to find your update, so I will go find your thread.

sharonslp ... I have had marathons of all kinds on the brain lately. :)
 
Drumroll ... un-bate your breath ... here's my

6-Month Performance Review, aka my State of the Hip Address

[SPOILER ALERT to all our Pre-Hip pals: Maybe you shouldn't read this: It isn't going to be one of those "hallelujah! back to bungee jumping with nary a thought about my hip!" my life has radically changed!" reports ... And to anyone who doesn't want to read anything that isn't a "success story," maybe you shouldn't read this either. Nobody is sorrier than I am about this, but that's the way it is.]

No changes forward since my last report (4 months ago? I don't really want to go back and reread everything.) in the sense that I haven't tacked on any new things to challenge me (yoga, Pilates, chiropractor, acupuncture, massage, water exercise, cycling, or bungee jumping). I haven't tried these things because I am frequently sore and worry perhaps neurotically about doing anything that is going to inflame things and make me so sore I can't easily get to/from work. What I continue to do is this: I still just go to work every day, do subways stairs and a steep stair once a day during work (for practice), walk frequently at the office, as I get stiff very very quickly (even sitting only 15 minutes), walk a little at lunch, walk a little after work, on my way home. My pedometer frequently says 9 or 10,000 steps; but on a particularly sore day when I want to cut down on these brief, frequent walks, it can go down to 6,000. But that is it. I am still in general very sore much of the time, though the operated hip is not. In fact, the op hip seems to "function" quite well; when I put weight on it, or lift it up to go up a step, it does not hurt. I'm thrilled I had the hip done. But I am not a pain-free person by any long shot.

Oh, as for what I take for pain. I haven't taken any prescription painkillers since the early weeks out from surgery, when I took Norco. Prior to surgery I never took any prescription anything. I only took Advil. Then, since surgery, I have taken mainly Tylenol (regular; then switched to Extra-Strength). I stopped that completely; but the soreness came back so bad that I started taking Tylenol again a few weeks ago. I added back in Advil for about a week, but stopped it again. On average, I guess I have taken usually 4 ES Tylenol/day; maybe on some days 6. The Tylenol helped a bit, but not a lot. It really doesn't touch the back pain. This past week, just as a test, I stopped all Tylenol and of course was not on the Advil. I was miserable all week. This morning I took 2 Tylenol and will take 2 or 4 more today, as I need to do laundry and some housework.

But I still have near-constant pain in my lower back and now constant pain in my other hip, so my life has not changed really too much from the 5 or so years prior to surgery. It's just that this time, the op hip is doing good.

I force myself on weekends to go out and take a subway, bus, and do walking around for shopping and errands and end up probably putting in a good 10,000 steps overall and through sheer persistence, keep myself moving. But it is with constant pain in the lower back, and now, this weekend, I had to do steps toddler style ( a real setback) because of the other hip. It is fatiguing. Yesterday while doing my errands I felt like a car with one really bad tire and drags along.

I have been very down in the dumps and weepy off and on all week about this. I'm just bloody sick and tired of pain. And now that the one hip is done, I feel there is an expectation from people who do not know but who think they know that I should be all better. I'm sure too that people who know me have to be sick of this saga not ending. I still feel like I let people down by not being able to go out and do things like I once could.

Now, if this all boils down to the left hip needing to be replaced, then I'll take it from there. I don't know yet if that's the story behind the pain. I hope the back is related to the hip.

Meanwhile, a mucky-muck (isn't that a great word?!) from work who told me months ago prior to surgery that he was certain I would be back at work at two weeks said the same thing to me Friday!!! I could have spit nails. It was like Groundhog Day, this conversation. And it came out of nowhere. I got stuck next to him at a work function and he started to tell me, AGAIN, about his sainted sister. Needless to say, I was annoyed. He claims that his sister was back at work in two weeks because she is just so devoted to her job. And because he's a mucky-muck, I had to really hold back with what I really thought. I did tell him that it would have been impossible for me to do that, and gave him a few reasons. And he said he assumed my surgery must have been really difficult and that that's why I couldn't come back in two weeks. I informed him my surgery was routine, no surprises, and I had no serious problems at all in recovery but, having said that, it would have been inpossible to jump back into work after two weeks.

As it turns out, his sister is also a mucky-muck, has a husband who drives her everywhere, including work, and she only worked a few hours, anyway. Had the luxury of no boss breathing down her neck. Has assistants, etc. Had the anterior approach and had no restrictions. ALSO ... the irony is that she has to have the other hip done, but is going to retire and then have it done. Well, Mr., if the THR was so darn easy-peasy for your sister, WHY IS SHE WAITING TO RETIRE BEFORE TACKLING THE OTHER HIP????! Well, I could not interrogate this guy about his sister. But .... all of this is just to point out that part of my resumption of another trip to THR Land is going to mean battling with these bone [pardon the pun] headed comments from people I work with or for. I really dread that.

I am also going full circle these days by having so many people at work talk about how they too have "aches and pains" and doesn't everyone our age have them? In other words, minimizing what I'm going through. Which is exactly what my former doctor did when i first tried to figure out years ago why I had hip pain. And friends who were convinced that all I needed to do was find a pool and swim and voila, my hip pain would disappear. (I should tell them LeeApril26's horrible pre-op swimming experience and maybe that will shut them up.)

So ... this is what I'm at, at six months: the same commentary about "everyone has aches and pains"; the same commentary about knowing so and so who returned to work in two weeks after a THR; and the same pain that inhibits me from fully getting out there and enjoying life. I don't mean bungee jumping. I just mean, going out of town for a family thing; or attending a friend's booth at a crafts fair ... stuff where you are standing and walking for a long time, taking mass transit to/from, lugging bags .... stuff that I just still cannot begin to do.

I know others on BoneSmart have had one hip done and then found the other one went down, so if you could find the patience to enlighten me about this weird twilight period "between the hips," I'd appreciate it. I especially worry about not impeding the progress of my new hip because the other hip is too painful. For example, should I cut down on stairs since they make the un-op hip hurt so much? Or am I endangering the strength of my new hip if I stop stairs?

The jury is out, of course, as to whether having the other hip done (and I will do that--it's just a matter of waiting to spring it on my bosses and figuring out how long I have to wait till I have vacation and sick days built up again, which as of now won't be till spring) is going to solve my chronic pain problems. I have hope that it will. But there are no guarantees. So I'm trying to figure out how to manage things and retain my sanity and keep the blues at bay. It has been a LONG time I haven't been able to really do much physically because of the pain. So I am weary of it.

But as for the operated hip, I think it's doing fine. It feels strong and carries me well and surely. No regrets at all. Just diappointment that it wasn't the life-altering miracle I'd hoped.

Thanks for listening. Sorry it's more peaches and bitter herbs than peaches 'n' cream.........
 
Yikes. I have to repost that thing I just posted as I forgot to clean it up and it is riddled with errors.
 
Never mind the errors, Peaches. The emotion will do!

So many of us can identify with you. My own hip surgery was as the result of an accident, and I hadn't had years of pain, as many of you have had. I did have the disappointment of a late-onset infection, and two further surgeries to correct that, and there are still many things I can't do: but I can honestly say that in all these 3 years - nearly 4 now - there has never been a period in which I have suffered tremendous debilitating pain or distress.

Further, I have not had to work full time. I do some work at home, pro bono, but fit it into my own schedule.

I have had plenty of the general remarks which belong in the category of "Why aren't you better yet?", but I reckon the best thing to do is to just let these idiotic comments fly right over my head.

Who cares what anyone else thinks? One of the - very few - good things about getting older is that other people's remarks tend to lose quite a bit of their importance or interest. Were it possible to use profanities on this site I would be able to put that remark in a clearer context.

There are a number of very articulate newish regulars on this forum - yourself, ByGosh, LeeApril, Songlady and Kim, to name a few - who bring a very real resonance to the reality of hip surgery gone not exactly wrong, but then again not exactly right. I find it so frustrating and difficult that I know exactly what you mean, but I am just unable - despite a 40-year career in writing - to come up with anything meaningful to say.

I can't even say I am praying for you. I don't believe in God - certainly not the one in the Bible. If this entity did exist, I think it would have had ample opportunity to sort out a lot of things on the earth it created.

But now I'm getting a bit maudlin.

Back to reality... Hang in there, Peaches. You are obviously a strong and intelligent woman. And a New Yorker...
Wow! That's pretty cool, by this country bumpkin's reckoning.

Keep on keepin' on.
 
Oh Peaches I can so relate to you. My low back is bad too...has been for years. I strained it back in 2001 and the pain never really went away..just got a little worse each year. It is primarily on the right side. I am hoping that the RTHR will give me some relief. I have already been told that the left hip will probably have to be replaced also due to the hip dysplasia. I need hand surgery too...but I digress...I have pathology, as the doctors call it, in multiple joints. I just wanted to offer my support. Chronic pain is life draining. I don't think people who have not personally experienced it can really know the true impact it has on one's life. <3
 
Hi Peaches As you know I can relate to everything that you have said.At 6 months after surgery I thought I would have my former life back but every day I have pain which actually swaps sides from left to right and back again.I have arthritic pain in the left side but actually the right (operated) side is worse now with soreness in the groin and front thigh in the muscles.I am trying to walk short distances on the level only but although today I was virtually pain free when walking later the soreness kicked in and now it is bad again.I really don't know what to do for the best as resting does not help and the slightest stretch or exercise seems to make things worse.I would also like to hear from others who have been through the "Twilight Zone " between 2 THRs It would be good to hear about their symptoms and how they got through this period.Like you the jury is still out on whether a second THR is the answer.

It must be very tough dealing with a full time job,commuting on the New York subway and dealing with an insensitive colleague who insists on comparing your recovery with his saintly sister.I think some people gloss over the truth about the details of their recoveries which is not helpful.We are told on here not to compare our recoveries with others but heck we are only human and it is part of human behaviour to do so.I think it is totally ridiculous to expect anyone to return to work 2 weeks after hip replacement and I don't think many GPs would give approval either anyway most of us are still on prescription painkillers at that stage.

I am so pleased that your new hip is good and that side is no trouble.Do you get any muscle pain in the operated hip or has that settled down now? Sorry that your back is still a problem and I hope you can find a practitioner to help you get some relief very soon.Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you and let's hope we can both be more positive about our recoveries very soon.
 
Peaches I'm sorry you are in so much pain this week. Hope it subsides. I do find the line between okay and way too much is very thin, and when I cross it I have pain, mostly on the right (non-operated) side, in both my hip and knee. I think I will eventually have to have surgery for both, as well as my right hand, which got really bad while I was using the cane. So, no bungee jumping for me, either. I really fear the rapid deterioration of the other hip and the transition from pain into agony. As you alluded to in your post, that happened to me very quickly the last time, and I am terrified of doing it again. I did not have lower back pain with the left side, but am getting in now on the right, but not constantly.

Your mostly daily 9,000-10,000 steps seems admirable to me. I dropped and exploded my cheesy pedometer, and have yet to purchase a new one, but I know I am not walking that much regularly. I take the subway to the pool 2-3 times a week. Last week I combined the pool with a walk around a couple of stores, looking fruitlessly for a new winter coat, and then rode into deeper Brooklyn to visit a sick friend. That was a really heavy day for me and I felt it the next day.

I am also sorry that you had to sit next to your insensitive colleague throughout that meeting, and listen to him talk about his saintly and amazingly quick-healing sister! As glynis said, if we could use profanity it would be a far more satisfying way to express how I feel about this moron. And, I'll bet anything his sister did not return to work after two weeks, even with an anterior approach.

Hope you have an easier week, and can avoid you know who!
 
Peaches Nothing more I can add to what others have said really. I think a lot of us know where you are coming from. And as for the muck-mucker (I love that ) , I don't know how you kept your temper to be honest. My op hip is great, but I would really like something done with my knee. I'm getting palmed off with cortisone injections at the moment, which are ok for a couple of weeks, then it wears off, so here's another one in the twilight zone. I hope spring comes quickly for you.
 
Thank you for your support, everyone. I am having trouble with the forum. I try to tag you and it doesn't show up. I will come back and write back soon as I want to talk to all of you. Hang in there, everyone. You guys really cheer me up. I'm grateful to you, more than I can say.
 
Peaches I am SO sorry you are having so much trouble. I totally identify with you and the mucky-muck (my mother said "muckedy muck") who keep telling stories about his wonderful sister. I simply cannot imagine coping with all you do -- including commuting to work on New York subways, even without pain.

You've been so kind to me all along, and so helpful, especially during my dark days of panic before my surgery. I'm 8 days out and am still neurotic about it, and I still have the one bad hip also. You gave e huge hope about dealing with the surgery alone, and I can't thank you enough for that.

Don't leave us, you are such a kind and courageous person.

Peace and love to you.
 
Hi Peaches Thank you for all the support you have given me over the last few weeks.I would have felt so alone without your kindness and I really appreciate that you know what I am going through.Of course I wish we were both in the yippee club and I am sure at some point in the future we will be paid up members.Thinking about you.
 
Hi, Poppet ... I went to your thread, but didn't see any updates. How are you??
Your countdown to the big day is getting closer and closer. We will all celebrate with you when you retire!
Thank you for commenting on my current pain predicament. Until recently I thought my back pain and the pain in the other hip were all part of the recovery process from my right hip replacement. But now I don't think so at all. I think they are their own little nightmares independent of the operated hip. Which makes me grateful that I had that right hip replaced! I need it now more than ever. But you are right that the road to recovery for the operated hip is a long one. I still get pain sometimes on the operated side but am not worrying about it. Thanks for stopping by.

Hi, everyone: I hope you had a good week. My computer is acting up and needs to see a doctor. Ditto for my land line. Ditto for my back and other hip. I did see a back specialist finally, recommended by my OS, and he wanted an MRI and xrays, so I'm waiting to hear about that. Pretty sure scoliosis and arthritis are the gremlins. Will be seeing my OS for xrays of the other hip, which is now giving me groin pain and what seems like bone spur pain like the other hip had. Deja vu!

LeeApril26, I feel like i see you from a distance sometimes, as if we are at cocktail hour at the BoneSmart Bar and Grill, but across the room, so I don't always get to say hello. So thank you for dropping by. I am always interested in how you are doing. It sounds from what you say that you are doing very well, and your pain is really mainly from overdoing things? (Which is not the case for me at all. I'm not overdoing things. I'm just treading water.) But you have been able to add to your activities--yoga, and being in the water, swimming or exercising or both. So i hope that's the case. That seems normal. I am very sympathetic about the arthritis elsewhere. The hands especially. What about PT for the thumb? Does that exist? I hope the herbal remedies are giving you some relief from the inflammation.

Butterfly ... thank you for stopping by. I know you are in the early early days and have so many things to deal with. The early days are hard, that's for sure. I will visit your thread soon and see how you are. I appreciate your support very much and your kind words. I didn't mean to say I wanted to leave BoneSmart. I just feel bad hanging around six months after the fact, when I don't have a glorious report and I also don't have the expertise that others have. But I frankly still get a lot of support here, and feel my recovery story isn't finished. I hope to offer any support I can to others as well, even if it's just "hang in there."

Hi, kim ... how are you!?! I hope you are able to enjoy the less painful moments. I'm sure you do. But it is hard to live in this twilight world. We aren't on walkers and have "invisible" pain, so people don't really get it. But like you say, we will someday be in the yippie club (I love that!). Yes, I do still have pain in my operated hip. I didn't mean to imply it is all perfect. It is not. Sometimes it's in the back of the butt. But it seems to function very well and when I stand on it or use it for going up a stair step, it is not painful. Unlike the other hip. When I "overdo" things, which for me just means more walking and standing (I have still not yet added other exercises), the operated hip is sore. But it doesn't really worry me. What about you?

On the other hip, I now have groin pain just like the other hip had. And I imagine I am feeling bone spurs. Just like I did before. I'll have it xrayed soon and will find out the status. I will also sneak in a few "as long as I'm here, can I ask you about the operated hip" questions to my OS. Sneaky me! And I am waiting for test results from the MRI and Xrays for my back. So maybe the upcoming knowledge from all these tests will give me some power to fight back. It occurred to me recently I am taking the Extra-Strength Tylenol and sometimes also (but rarely) the Advil for the lower back and other hip. Not the operated hip..... Thank you for all your help and support and for listening to me. We will go through this recovery thing step by step, and have each other's back ... er ... hip.

Hi, glynis ... thanks very much for stopping by with your support. I read elsewhere you are on a trip to France with Texans? Somehow I am conflating France and Texas and I am assuming you aren't in Paris, Texas, but maybe in Paris, France, with Texans? Sounds interesting. I am sorry for the horrible experience you had, but am glad you are able to travel and hopefully you are bouncing back to everyday life somewhat. You went through the wringer--an accident, not in your home country, infection, surgeries after that. Unbelievable. You have paid your dues. I don't think I would have the starch and stamina to go through all that.

I know what you mean about not caring about what others think. At least dunderheads in my real life--not friends, but friendly-ish acquaintances who have been so certain that aggressive PT right after surgery would have prevented all problems, wars, famine, etc. I do worry, though, about this person with his saint the sister, because he works over me and I really need the powers-that-be to be on the same page I am. From the beginning they all thought I should be able to come back to work much more quickly than I did and I was sorry to learn that he, anyway, still seems to think that way. Oh, well. Nothing I can do about that now.

TeeEm, I have missed you and am so sorry about the knee injections. Do you know yet what's going on? Are you headed for "the knee side" of BoneSmart? And how about your Zumba classes? Still able to do those, I hope? I always smile when I see your avatar. Please keep in touch when you can. i've missed you and I still think of you when the word "tap dancing" comes up as i will forever link it to "off the operating table."

I will be back shortly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom