THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a lot of other postings where people complained about their PTs having them do exercises they weren't ready fore and it hurt. I've seen where people were struggling to do leg lifts, for example, when according to what I was told, it was too soon. The surgeon may provide a protocol to be followed, but not always. For reference, here is my OS's protocol. It's for lateral THR and may be a bit conservative, but it's working for me.

[Bonesmart.org] Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8
 
And that's the main thing John, that it works for you.. :)

My OS just told me to build up my walking.. [Bonesmart.org] Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8
 
I think walking, bike riding, and stair climbing (a necessity in a second floor condo) worked as well for me as any of the scheduled exercises.
 
Absolutely sissy46 I faithfully did my exercises, but being a consummate lazy thing.. Decided all the walking I would be doing at work and in life in general was going to be enough for me...

p.s. you will stick around for the Xmas/New Year party we have online... Gather the warrior girls it will be fun.. Hippies and kneesies all are welcome :)
 
walking and stairs are my go to. i do do the pt exercises too. my doc clears for driving after 2 weeks. but he is unusually good at the minimally invasive procedure. all the staff at maine med say if they ever need to go in for a THR they are using him over the other surgeons in his group.
 
My surgeon said I could drive as soon as I was off Percocet, so I drove exactly one week post-op. Just short trips---store, library, grocery, all within a couple of miles of home.
 
Yes, I don't know why mine put it at 8 weeks for a left hip, but maybe it was due to the 90 degree rule. He's just a young guy too.

Anyway, I just got back from my final physio and on Jan 10 I'll be going for x-rays and to see my OS. All the PT said was to ask him what I should avoid doing.
 
you want to follow any and all restrictions that the OS tells you about. there are at least a dozen differing ways to do a hip replacement and then factor in learning curve and there are a wide variety of timetables for recovery based on procedure chosen/skill of the surgeon with that procedure.
 
Thanks for the sage advice, George. I'm sure there are a lot of aspects to hip surgery we patients don't know about and the surgeons don't explain the exact reasons for their restrictions. I had to literally pry information from him about what materials he used and whether muscles were cut, etc, while others will spew more information than you want. He wouldn't even give me my x-ray files, just let me take a picture of his computer screen. When I Googled him I found nothing but good reviews and I have to agree. One happy customer!
 
Well, seems like I had nothing new to report. That's all changed.

I'm back in the hospital! Not directly hip-related, but sort of.

About 3 days ago I switched from Tylenol to aspirin for my routine analgesic. It was working great and that's what I've always used for years before. Then, yesterday afternoon while sitting in my recliner, I fell asleep. That doesn't usually happen, so I think I passed out. I awoke sweating profusely and dizzy and had to go to the bathroom. I threw up blood in the bathroom, so I knew something was wrong I couldn't fix. My stools had been dark, almost black the last 3 days. Not a coincidence. Anyway, I got my son (who lives here) to drive me to the hospital and threw up blood out the door once before I got him to slow down on the corners because it made me nauseous. I threw up 3 kidney dishes of blood in ER admitting until no more would come. Spent the evening in the trauma unit with saline and antacid IV before going to my room about 11. Used the bathroom before getting into bed and noticed my stool was no longer black. The worst part was the taste in my mouth, not being allowed to drink anything, other than sucking on ice chips. This morning I got a gastro scope which the surgeon fitted in ahead of a couple of breast cancer surgeries. I haven't spoken to her yet, but the nurse said she took some biopsies. Now I'm on a clear liquid diet and maybe going home in a couple of days. Humbug, Christmas was a hassle anyway!

So, Josephine, I mentioned to someone in another thread try substituting aspirin for Tylenol if that wasn't working (but it didn't work for them). I have never ever had trouble with aspirin in my life until now, but I think I'll stay away from it. Perhaps wa warning would be appropriate. I don't know that I've had ulcers, other than the occasional heartburn I quench with baking soda.

(BTW, I'm in the room next door to where I was with my hip 10 weeks ago and even met one of my old nurses. Still no free wifi in this wing of the hospital, but I found public wifi at the truck stop across the street I can see from my window for $5/24hrs.)
 
John, thats rotten luck I wish you a speedy recovery and that every thing is OK.
 
John, that is just awful luck. I'm so sorry. It sounds like you're getting the medical attention you need, and hopefully they'll get you squared away quickly.

Too bad about the no wifi, but $5/24hrs isn't too bad for a day or so, to keep your fellow warriors updated and keep up with the world.
Hoping this will just be a bump in the road and a quick recovery :bicycle2:

Damn! dede62 bellaroma nerdgrrl Warrior Down!!
 
Whoa, John! That sounds very similar to what my mom went through last week. She had an ulcer that she was unaware of, probably from taking some Aleve for new-ish back pain. Her hemoglobin had gotten very low, which caused the dizziness. Luckily you got to the hospital quickly and if that is what it is, it is something that can be resolved fairly easily. Were the biopsies to check for H. Pylori?

Glad you were able to find some wi-fi. It makes the hospital so much more tolerable.

I hope you are fully on the mend soon! :flwrysmile:
 
When the surgeon stopped by later today, she said she didn't find any obvious ulcers. Didn't mention biopsies at all, so maybe the nurse spoke out of turn. I told them I had a colonoscopy 2-3 years ago and she's not decided on that yet. I'll keep you hippies informed.
 
I'll be reading that. It doesn't mention aspirin. It must be out of fashion nowadays. When I told the doctor on duty in ER about using aspirin since I was "old school", he compared it to using a baseball bat as an anaesthetic, but I thought ether would have been a better comparison. Anyway, now that I've seen what can happen, I'll avoid using ASA.
 
Oh John, I am so sorry to hear you had to bounce back into the hospital. I hope they get you all fixed up. Great job finding a wi/fi so you can keep us up to date.

Be sure to ask the nurse to provide you with some milk and cookies to leave out for Santa!

Tammy
 
Hey John, at least things appear to be getting better now.

Hope you can have yourself a Merry Christmas tomorrow and you get home ASAP. 2013 is gonna be a good one!
 
Keep us posted, okay? you are very much in my thoughts on this Christmas Eve.:xmascandle:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom