THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm going home for Christmas sometime today, after I'm released! The surgeon just stopped by and told me and is informing my MD. Works out fine, since we were having our family Christmas tomorrow on Boxing Day anyway. And I don't have to stay on a liquid diet anymore either, just go easy on spicy foods and alcohol and NO ASPIRIN.

Earlier today my daughter and son with his wife and kids, including their 2-year-old twin girls were here visiting. Lots of fun blowing up rubber gloves for them. Some of them are now off to another family Christmas dinner and will pick me up later.

What I had was severe gastritis/duodenitis caused by the aspirin and possibly alcohol. No ulcers found. I'll get the biopsy results next week when I see the surgeon at her clinic. It certainly has been a "different" Christmas!
 
Oops! It looks like they haven't been able to get hold of my MD who left the hospital and is probably having Christmas dinner with his family, so I can't get signed out. He's always at the hospital first thing in the morning, so that's when I'll probably be leaving. On the bright side, I'm now back on a solid diet, so maybe there's turkey for dinner instead of chicken broth, apple juice and jello. I'm craving real food!
 
John, sorry I'm just catching up on things. So are there any new findings? I hope they figure out what transpired and you can get the heck home quickly. Sending you good healing vibes and hope you're feeling better soon! :console2:
 
The bleeding was due to gastritis or duodenitis, not any ulcer, the aspirin being the main culprit. She told me the biopsies were for a bacteria associated with the latter. If that's positive, I expect I'll get the appropriate antibiotic. Tonight I get one more IV dose of the antacid and then the needles and tubes are gone and I'll get some kind of stomach pills.

Did I tell you that this morning I got unhooked from the IV machine, my arm wrapped in saran wrap, and I got to take a shower? Boy that felt good! I could have stayed in there for hours.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8
John! Good to hear that things are looking up and you know what's been going on. Warm showers are heavenly--Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8
 
Thank you my friends. For dinner I was off the fluid diet and had turkey, mash potatoes, gravy and turnip plus all the fixins. A cupcake for dessert. Then my son and D.I.L. stopped by on the way back from her mom's and brought me some cherry cheesecake. I just watched Premium Rush on the laptop and I'm checking in on my hippy friends. Bustin' out tomorrow. Life is good. Have a good holiday.
 
Hi there John

So sorry, I was mostly traveling yesterday and missed your news..

So pleased you are getting better.. Sounds like NSAIDs are not your friend either.. They messed up my kidneys..

By the way, I know it was last month, but a belated Happy Birthday, 72 is the new 62 isn't it?

You take care, youngun!
 
John, so glad you're getting the king treatment that you deserve, and were able to eat your turkey and two desserts.
What are they telling you about ibuprofen now that you've had this bleed? Is aspirin the only med they're saying you shouldn't take? I ask because I have taken a boat load of ibuprofen over the last 10 months, with much trepidation.
 
Sissy, it was Tylenol (acetaminophen) I had been taking and switched to aspirin (ASA), not ibuprofen. But I do have some ibuprofen, and I'll ask my GP about it. I'm just waiting for him to show this morning and sign my release. I just had apple juice, oatmeal, a blueberry muffin and cheese and a coffee for breakfast and I'm getting my last dose of Pantoloc for the stomach before the IV comes out. Someone just came in and asked if a turkey sandwich will be OK for lunch, but I'm hoping to be gone before then. :egypdance:
 
A friend of mine swears by her water bed , I tried it once a few years ago and yes comfortable but couldn't get off of it , I had to roll off of the side onto the floor.:dancy:
 
No more water bed for me! I got one 20 or so years ago and I think it killed my back. Switched to a firm mattress, but by then that was too hard on my old bones. Just recently I put 2" of memory foam on it and it's much better. I notice all the beds and stretchers here in the hospital have 2" to 4" memory foam.
 
A friend of mine swears by her water bed , I tried it once a few years ago and yes comfortable but couldn't get off of it , I had to roll off of the side onto the floor.:dancy:

I can't wait to get back in mine. Sleeping in the spare room at the moment as the water bed is too low for my precautions. This bed feels like sleeping on a wooden floor in comparison. Think my bed is the thing I've missed most in these 5 weeks so far.
 
oldyellr, sorry to read about your complications but glad to see the docs got you figured out and recovering. Enjoy the remainder of 2012, and have a happy New Year.
 
Okay, I'm home at last! I'll be on Pantoloc pills for stomach acid for the next couple of months, but no diet restrictions. Also, no NSAIDs, especially aspirin, only Tylenol for pain. I specifically asked about Advil (ibuprofen) and the doc said no. Pretty good outcome in my opinion.

:cheers2: Happy New Year everyone!
 
Sosrry, I didn't respond earlier, but so glad it looks like you will be alright. Like you needed something else to deal with. Hope you enjoy the remainder of Boxer Day
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom