Guest viewing is limited

THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you are home John, and improving every day.. Good news, we were concerned.

For anyone else reading this NSAIDs also has a little known serious side effect apart from the gastric bleeding.

It can affect one's kidney function, without any obvious symptoms and this is what happened to me. My kidney function deteriorated rapidly from 100% to %41 in the space of just a few months as a result of taking NSAIDs (this diagnosis was confirmed by my surgeon and then a renal specialist whom I am now under the care of). Hence the reference to Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in my signature block. My kidneys will never recover and I now have CKD for life.

So the morale of my story is for anyone taking NSAIDs make sure that your eGFR and Creatinine levels are being monitored regularly and then you will be fine.. If you want to read of my plight, the link is my signature block... Make sure you have a packed lunch though, it was a long journey :)

This is not meant to alarm anyone, or suggest that you go off your medication but it is all about empowering you with knowledge :)

Again, before you change any medication it is best to discuss your med protocol with your treating physician.

Here is a link to the library article which discusses this class of drugs - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...e-naproxen-advil-ibuprofen-and-tylenol.12858/
 
Things are pretty much back to normal. Tried to make an appointment with the surgeon who did the gastroscopy for a follow-up, but the office is closed until Jan 3. Those last few days back in the hospital set me back a bit in regaining fitness, but the hip has been healing. I now sleep on the operated side without even noticing it. We had a green Christmas (just a bit of snow left from earlier), but got a good storm on Boxing Day that came up from Texas.
 
Glad to read you're over that nasty drug reaction, John. Take care of yourself!
 
John, you are so cool. I love the way you've bounced back from the ASA mishap.
 
Yeah, it was quite scary when it happened. We debated whether it would be better to call an ambulance or let my son to drive me to the hospital. but I didn't want to get all the neighbours gossiping. I still need to see the internist for a follow-up in the new year.
 
Thanks, Beth and a Happy New Year to you too.

Things have been up and down for me since the hip surgery. First, I was disappointed that my OS made me wait 8 weeks before clearing me to drive. Then my 20-year-old Volvo wagon broke down the first day I drove it and I've been struggling with it ever since. I replaced the fuel line, then the fuel pump and finally the fuel pump relay. In the middle of all this I ended up back in hospital with a stomach bleed. It had me really depressed. Hopefully everything will be working okay in the New Year, both wheels and my body. :wink:
 
John, I think you have met the quota for health related issues in 2012....I bet that 2013 is so much better. You are already starting it off with less hip pain than you had in 2012.

Have a Happy New Year!
Tammy
 
John, you are so much fun! I hope this coming year is the best yet for you. Happy New Year!
 
John..You are a hoot...even when you are not feeling well, you manage to dig deep for that humor. May this coming year be the best ever.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8
 
Thanks for all the well wishes fellow hippies. I try not to take life too seriously. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

A couple of days ago I posted an animated gif image of a couple of girls in bikinis making snow angels to illustrate extreme abductor exercises :). Seems it didn't work for everyone and when I posted a link to it, some browsers linked to a website with inappropriate language in the comments, so it had to go. Anyway, for those of you who didn't see the animation, I found the video it came from on Youtube. It's from the Polar Bear Games in Edmonton Canada (obviously).

 
Well, today I lost my cane (or somebody took it). When I'm grocery shopping I often forget it in the cart and have to go back to retrieve it when I notice I don't have it getting in the car. This time I drove all the way home before finding it gone. I drove back, checked the cart corral and asked at the customer service counter, but no luck. (There was another one there with pretty flowers on it, so I guess it's a common occurrence.) I'll call later tonight to see if it's shown up. The thing is, I don't really need it all the time, except first thing in the morning and when I get tired, and of course when I can't find it. It's also handy for warding off pesky dogs and grand babies. :wink:

The good news is that my car ran fine after the last repairs, so I think I fixed the problem. :happydance:
 
Ugh, John if it's not one thing it's another with you! Glad to hear you and your car are doing better... bummer about the cane, though. Maybe the person with the flowered one liked yours better and switched them!! :heehee:
 
If nobody claims the flowered one, maybe I'll claim it and paint it. But not black, like I had. I could paint it like a candy cane so it's easier to find. :yes!:

I really should be weaning off the cane. I notice a lot of hippies newer than I have ditched theirs. But it's just as much my back as my hip that requires a cane and I miss it.
 
So I called the supermarket and my cane hadn't shown up, but I left my number. The lady suggested I call the department store next door because their carts often get mixed up and it may have been turned in there. I called and described my cane and, yes, they had one just like it. My son was going into town later, so he picked it up. Of course, it wasn't mine and it was older, but it works. I just hope it's one they'd had for some time and not one someone had just lost and is looking for it. :sorry:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom