THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got around to taking a picture of my scar after 6 weeks and posted it in the Scars thread. The scar is a bit itchy from time to time, which I guess is normal. The only annoying part is where it's still scabbed at the bottom end. I guess there was a tube there.

I go for another outpatient PT session today and I'll see if there's more new exercises for me. So far I haven't been allowed leg lifts or unassisted lateral movement of the leg. I'll also ask if I should be weaning myself off the cane. I can walk up and down stairs leg over leg now with no discomfort.
 
I got back from today's PT with four more exercises to strengthen my abductor muscles. Had me walk up and down with and without the cane and I had a slight limp without. The new exercises will fix this. The therapist wants me in shape for when I see my OS on the 29th.

I did ask about the use of ice. She said they mainly use it for knee patients and agreed that I shouldn't be taking the exercises to the point where I would need ice to alleviate pain or swelling. Next appointment next Tuesday.
 
At today's PT session I was evaluated on my current exercises and learned (knew) I was still a bit wobbly on my operated leg, so no ditching the cane yet. I was also given additional exercises which were actually variations on some of my existing ones. Now I have to alternate legs so the operated leg muscles get to work in a supporting role while moving the "good" leg. When I go back in a week she will be drafting an official letter to my OS that I've successfully completed the first 6-8 week PT protocol.

Getting up the last couple of mornings and during the night, I've actually been feeling like I haven't made any progress, even going backwards. Feeling a bit achey and unsteady. However, things improve during the day, so I think it's just my abductor muscles complaining since being called into action over the last week. The one where I lay on my side and raise the operated leg was especially gruelling at first and I was only able to do 10-15 reps per session, but now I do 30, but it's still the hardest.
 
Hi John, I know sometimes it seems like two steps forward and one step back. Some of my best days have been followed by a not so great day, and I've learned not to have two really strenuous days in a row. And not to do more than I feel like doing. And to stop if it hurts.

It sounds like your PT is pleased with your progress, and you've gone from 10 reps to 30 on the side leg lifts. That is awesome:egypdance:
 
Thanks for the encouraging words, Sissy. I can only dream of achieving your level of fitness post op. While we've had some really nice weather lately here in the Great White North, it can't last. I can't wait to get out more.
 
oldyellr, I found that sometimes it feels like one step forward and two steps backword. But the best news you will get to the end. It will be slow sometimes and days will be fast. A day will come when you can put the cane away. When I travel I still take my cane just to be safe. Please keep posting because we want to hear how you are doing. Take care. Tashia
 
I needed to read this because I feel like I'm in a bit of a slump...good to not feel so alone. But I find the best way to gauge profess is to look backwards. Keep your chin up, and I'm off to take my own advice.
 
It's funny, but in the early stages of my recovery I had no real pain or discomfort after I was off the pain pills. Now I have aches and pains in my shoulders, and of course, in my lower back, which has always been a problem the last few years. This morning I decided to start taking Tylenol to see if it helps.
 
Just got back from this week's PT session, the one before I go back for x-rays and to see my OS. Nothing new except I'm now to add a little ankle weight when doing the abductor side leg lifts. I walked around a bit without the cane and there was still a bit of swagger, if not a limp, which was to be expected with one weak leg.

Anyway, the therapist wrote a note I'm to give to my OS stating I've made excellent progress and a bunch of other stuff I can't decipher. Josephine, is there some place on this board with all the medical terms and acronyms you folks throw around?
 
Actually, no there isn't. But good suggestion - we might start compiling one!
 
The PT's writing is almost as bad as a doctor's but I deciphered "mild trendelen-something without aids" and googled it. That's the sort of thing I mean, as well as all the abbreviations they use. It took me a while here to figure out what "OS" was and now "LLD".
 
I just got back from my x-rays and 8-week visit with my OS. Everything looks good and I've been progressing better than expected. Next appointment in 3 months. I stopped by at my PT in the outpatient department and gave her the OS's reply to her note and she wants me to come back in 3 weeks.

Now I'm officially cleared to drive, so on the way home I stopped in at the license office to get a new plate sticker, which expired while I was laid up. I even got a new sticker for my '85 Camaro in the garage to give me incentive to get it fixed and on the road in the spring. It feels great not to have to depend on others for rides!

So, unless something important happens, I'll post in this thread again in three weeks.
 
I had my THR on October 3rd and was out in 4 days. It's been 5 weeks now. I do my PT exercises at least twice a day and have no significant pain, just a dull ache sometimes. I tapered off the pain pills (Tramacet) before they were all gone and have a few left just in case. I go for x-rays and to see the surgeon again at the end of this month and when I saw him 2 weeks ago and asked when I can start driving he said at 8 weeks. I'm currently walking with a cane, as instructed, but can manage short hops around the house without it.

I just found this forum today and see there's a wealth of information, but I don't want to spend hours looking for it and neglecting my PT :wink:. In searching the web I see some claiming they could drive after just 4 weeks. What's the consensus here? (I also have a friend, 79 years old, who was riding his bike after 4 weeks, but he had the minimally invasive procedure, but my hospital doesn't have one of those million dollar tables and surgeons who do that.)

Okay, my winter beater car is an automatic that requires little skill, strength or coordination and it's my left hip that was replaced. It's just that I hate relying on cans or getting rides from others for hospital visits and the occasional trip to the store.


One more question: I tried to get copies of my x-rays but everyone gave me the runaround. The best my surgeon could do was let me take a photo of his computer screen. Seems it wouldn't be rocket science to email me the pictures. Is this standard procedure that they guard their work like this?

(If there's any information I've failed to give, please don't hesitate to ask.)
 
deeceek you quoted me, but what did you want to ask/say?

BTW, now that I'm cleared to drive, I have a new problem. My winter beater car is broken :boohoo:
It's a 1992 Volvo wagon and I had an appointment to get it oil sprayed yesterday, but the gas line blew a hole when I started it. I really don't feel like crawling under it in the snow to fix/replace it. I'll have to get it towed to the shop and pay the big bucks. Meanwhile I'm still bumming rides. The Camaro needs a head gasket and I wouldn't take it out in the salt even if it were running. With 20/20 hindsight, I could have had the Volvo fixed a month ago.
 
I am now nearly five weeks post op , I spoke to my PT re driving as my car is an automatic so don't need the leg, the problem I have been having is that the cars I have had to use ie cabs have caused me to break the 90 degree rule more than using my car would as mine is a coupe with loads of leg room. I have been told I am OK to drive , I'm only planning to drive short distances to PT and Dr appointments.
 
Not sure what kind of cans you use in the UK (minicabs?) but here in Canada the cabs are full size cars and most drivers "swarthy" with the seat well back. I ride in the front where there's more room.
 
Well, I have to share another milestone. This morning I put my socks on without the sock aid!

Better still, I just cut my toenails. Lately this had never been an easy task and one I'd put off. The operated leg took a bit longer I got the job done. I was beginning to fear I'd injure myself with my toenails getting too long.

OTOH, I now have another concern. the last couple of days when standing up and doing the knee lift exercise, I sensed a sort of "clicking". Not in my hip as far as I could tell, but it seemed like it was at the bottom of my rib cage, but I could be mistaken. I checked the "Noises" thread and didn't really see anything to explain it to my satisfaction. My joint is not cemented, so naturally I'm worried if it's movement where there isn't supposed to be any. Maybe Josephine can pop in and offer some explanation.
 
Well you are moving forward , sorry that your carbroke. I certainly wouldn't want to take out the camaro in bad weather
Cutting your toenails is quite afeet, I maneged to do so holding the clippers with pliers, because I did not anyone doing it for me, Isnt it good toget more back to normal:yahoo:
 
I want to see what Josephine has to say about your clicking. Several times I have felt a painless sort of pop somewhere in the vicinity of my hip---haven't been concerned as long as it doesn't hurt. Just curious.
 
Exactly, sissy! I noticed the clicking after about the 10th knee lift, so I stopped. I was doing 30 knee lifts, then knee lifts with the opposite leg were added, so I was doing 20 and 20. Now, the last time today I started doing 5 and alternating until I had 20 on each side and no clicking. I just don't want to be clicking if it could be the symptom of something loosening. I don't mind driving a car with clunking balljoints because it's something I can fix when it becomes necessary, but this is more serious. :sad:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom