Guest viewing is limited

THR Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, this is from the last article in the thread about noise issues, and mine is a sensation rather than a noise but this sort of describes it:
"Clunking, popping and clicking noises tend to be caused by a temporary separation of the ball and the socket in the total hip replacement. It can be created as part of the surgical exposure and its accompanying trauma to the local muscles and the encapsulating tissues of the hip. Stretching, cutting, separating and or other types of necessary surgical trauma to the tissues that provide stability to the joint can temporarily create looseness in the articulation. In addition muscle tone may be less than ideal because of the badly trained muscles of the preoperative condition and all the fluid around the newly placed joint. The noises created under this type of conditions generally are painless and can subside once the capsule and muscles around the hip are fully healed. It occurs in the first few months after surgery and typically disappears progressively.
If this condition persists after 6 months or so, will not improve or has become painful it is important to consult your surgeon as it may indicate other conditions that may require his intervention or additional treatment."
 
Not had the clicking rib cage, have clicking in both knees but have had that for a few years , but no strange noises from my hips.

The problem with UK cabs are some a standard saloon cars and some others my way are cabs that require you to climb up into the vehicle so can't sit and spin your legs around, I can get into my car quite easily and it will also save me a £40 for a round trip to the PT once a week.

Re the toenails have a local chiropodist that charges £25 for home visits and have used her once a month since first op, I believe your GP can also arrange a chiropodist free on the NHS ( if in the UK) if having problems.
 
If it's that high up, yellr, then it's more likely some air moving around in the muscles or a ligament snapping. Definitely nothing to do with the implants.
 
Well, I guess the clicking is not actually from my rib cage, but "somewhere in my body". Maybe it resonates through my bone structure. Obviously there are no nerves i the actual hip joint, so I can't pinpoint it as coming from there.

Dingbat, I don't know if here in Canada a chiropodist would be covered by our health care system, but it it sure sounds like a good idea! When I think of British cabs, I think of those tall boxy things that you climb up into. That's probably what you mean. Here in North America SUVs, pickup trucks and minivans are very popular and you have to climb up into all of them. Many cabs are now minivans. (Minivans here are like a large van would be in the UK.) The Ford F-150 pickup truck is the best selling vehicle. People are "large" and women like the "safety" of a truck. I hate SUVs (Stupid, Useless Vehicles). My first car was a 1958 Austin Healey Sprite sports car.
 
It turned out that my Dodge Charger, with apparently infinitely adjustable seats is the ideal post-surgery vehicle. Hoisted the passenger seat up to the sky when I came home from the hospital, tipped the front of it down, slid it back--voila, a handicapped transport! I've moved the driver's side all around now, in fact I have the seat up so high that I have to scrunch to see traffic lights! Can't beat it...muscle car on the outside, ambulance on the inside!
 
Now that my car is fixed, I went out for a shopping trip this afternoon and to get a much-needed haircut. I needed a haircut before I went in for surgery a couple of months ago, but never got around to it and it was really driving me nuts. Altogether I hit half a dozen stores. I happened to get a cart at Walmart that pulled to one side, which turned out to be a real ordeal. By the time I got home I was pretty stiff and sore, but it was mostly my bad back, not the hip. Thought I'd had enough exercise, so I decided to forego my afternoon PT exercises.
 
Carts like that are awful when everything on you works right. You did enough!
 
Now that's a cool minivan taxi.

[Bonesmart.org] Some allowed to drive after 4 weeks, some after 8


Now that I'm driving again I have no trouble getting in and out of any car or van and I don't even have to move the seat. Quite a difference from my trip home from the hospital!
 
It turned out that my Dodge Charger, with apparently infinitely adjustable seats is the ideal post-surgery vehicle. Can't beat it...muscle car on the outside, ambulance on the inside!


:rotfl: Now that's funny!!!
 
Now that my car is fixed, I went out for a shopping trip this afternoon and to get a much-needed haircut. I needed a haircut before I went in for surgery a couple of months ago, but never got around to it and it was really driving me nuts. Altogether I hit half a dozen stores. I happened to get a cart at Walmart that pulled to one side, which turned out to be a real ordeal. By the time I got home I was pretty stiff and sore, but it was mostly my bad back, not the hip. Thought I'd had enough exercise, so I decided to forego my afternoon PT exercises.

Hi John, I too have back issues (unrelated to my RTHR) and find that I have to come home and ice or use heat packs and rest for an hour or so.. have you tried heat for the stiffness?
 
I find heat helps the back a lot. I enjoy my hot showers in the morning. The next time I see my family doctor I'll ask again if there is anything that can be done with my back. The last time he prescribed some pills (generic Celebrex) but they didn't do a thing. I'm thinking something more in the line of PT to strengthen back muscles. It seems there are reliable fixes for bad hips and knees, but bad backs are more elusive.
 
For my back which has scoliosis, cogenital fusion and arthritis throughout heat is the best. When my cervical acts up and gives me headaches the only thing that works is heat, Ikeep thermacare packs in my car. When my back is bad, I get the most relief from flexerill. Exercises have also helped inthe past
 
Love the picture John. Gave me a good giggle.

Congrats on taking your show on the road. Can't wait to see where your cars take you in your recovery journey.

Tammy
 
John, that picture is a hoot! Thanks for posting it.
 
Well, Saturday I picked up the memory foam mattress topper I'd ordered from Sears and put it on yesterday. It was quite a struggle turning and flipping the mattress, so I was hoping for a good night's sleep in the "new" bed. I was right. My mattress is a firm California Queen size (replacement to fit a water bed frame) with a thin pillow top both sides and not a lot of give. The 2" foam made just enough difference so that my hips and shoulders would sink in and not take all the load. I highly recommend memory foam if your mattress is now too firm for your old aching bones. Yes, they're pricey for just a piece of foam, but the whole bedding industry is a racket. Here's an interesting article on mattresses.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom