THR So Much Easier Than I Expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet once you're a few weeks out of surgery it will be easy to over do....I just hope I remember what I reading on here...."don't over do". Good reminder for all of us. Typically it takes 6 months + to heal after surgery. I enjoy listening to Joyce Meyer, she is funny but has a lot of common sense in her ministry.
 
I do think most of us overdo it. I did and boy did I regret it. Some days are just gonna be better than others.
Today was one of those days. Five weeks out for me and PT and breakfast at Denny's wiped me out. By the way I agree that the time between week 2 and 3 was the worse. Pace yourself! This surgery was a big deal
for our bodies.
 
Thank you, Sandybeach and Nessiepie. You don't know how comforting it was for me to read the line about the 2-3 week period being the hardest. I really rested up during the last day or two, and feel much better. (Queenie, if you read this post, I pretended I had the "man flu.") I will start to think of my body as a bank account and try not to overdraw it, from now on. Those overdraft fees are just too high!

I love Joyce Meyer, too. She's like your favorite, funny great Aunt who tells it like it is, in a spiritual sense. I believe the world needs a lot more common sense these days. One only has to watch people walking around with their baggy trousers belted around the mid-thigh so they can hardly move, to realize it.

Today is my 3-week post-op doctor visit. Please wish me luck. I'm so worried he'll say something like, "Oops, we put it in backward," or "Your overdoing it this week caused the prosthesis to migrate up into your derriere and we'll have to pull it out." :shocked:
 
hiphiphorray

Hhh hi,

İ'm sure your OS will say "all is on track"
As you articulated, we focus on what we can do rather than what we should do... You probably overdid some activties and your body reminded you" ooops, you had a surgery!"
At the end of the day, THR is a MAJOR surgery that all of us may underestimate from time to time.
Looking forward to your relief soon.
Selin
 
Be kind to yourself. I'm a little over 3 months and walked for a mile or so yesterday with no ill effects. Some heal quickly, some don't. But we all heal eventually. Hang in there.:flwrysmile:
 
Hi HHH,

I sent you a message on my thread commenting on how great you're doing so don't think I'm crazy. I just managed to find your thread. I'm so sorry that you've had a minor setback. I told you that I needed to grow up and show a little restraint because I want it right now. You've convinced me to stick to the rules, take it easy and go back to bed. :sleep: Got this advice from bottomshollow yesterday. I think I'll take it. I pray you're feeling better.

:)
 
HIPPO!!!!............Can't believe I missed your little melt down.........So sorry. How did I miss that? Only just spotted your post from Thurs.
Has one been over doing things, thinking one was Superwoman? And now ones body has swollen in protest. So sorry to hear that dear Hippo.
Fortunately it doesn't sound like you've done yourself any real harm.......this is just a little wake up call. You are only 3wks out Lady!......What were you thinking?
If you want to get back on that ice then you are going to have to treat that shiney new hip of yours with a bit more TLC. The housework can wait. Now I wouldn't normally dish out the following advice, but seeing as its you...............You need to milk this situation Mrs. You need some help here. You need to let people around you know that you've been trying to do everything and its WAY TOO EARLY! Look what's happened. You hear me?! Work that man flu girl! You've got to think about yourself here and yes it's absolutely ok to do so. Here endeth the lesson.
How funny that we should be having our mini meltdowns at the same time. My sister called to point out that on one particular night last week there was a full moon. I was in such a bad way emotionally that my husband wouldn't have been at all surprised if I'd sprouted back hair and pounced off howling into the night. It seems very unfair, that just as you are coping with one particularly trying situation, the Universe gives you a couple of dollops of something else on top.......just to see if it can push you over the edge. Which it inevitably does. Naughty Universe. Having said that, there is generally a lesson to be learnt during these melt downs so I guess The Universe is just giving you a prod.
Look forward to hearing that all is ok and no lasting damage done.

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxx
 
HHH, boy am I taking notes on this overdoing it too soon thing. I think as women we are programmed this way. Just this morning as I cruised through my house walker-style, I couldn't help but notice all the things that needed to be put away. Being only 4 days out, I didn't even think of doing anything about it. But as I feel better, I may be tempted to do more. It is a bit disheartening to see little messes when you don't have that occur in a normal time.

I've had major surgery before, but this by far tops them all. They had to go so deep down and rearrange muscles and the like, that this definitely needs more recovery time.

Queenie, dear you have a gift for writing, I look forward to your observations about your journey
 
My dear hippie friends, please celebrate with me? Now, before I share the good news, I must say that I'm glad I had my little "too much, too soon" overdo meltdown this week. Otherwise, I'd be sorely tempted to gallivant through the Alpine meadows like Julie Andrews on crack, today. I had a brilliant 3-week post-op checkup yesterday. Doc says everything looks great. I'm now cleared to (drumroll):
  • Relax on the 90-degree rule. (Do you hear the angels singing?) Specifically, I can sit in any chair, as long as it's not one of those super-low sofas that swallow you whole, and even use a regular toilet. I can put on socks and shoes (shhh...remember, we're not telling the fiance that one just yet, because we enjoy watching him kneel before us in penance for abandoning us to man flu). I can bend forward at the waist and/or raise my leg.
  • Drive a car or ride any of the lovely trains, trolleys and cable cars we have, here in SF. I'm mobile again!
  • Resume (slowly) riding my exercise bike and working out with free weights.
  • Sleep on either side, even on the operated side. I did that last night, and it was heavenly.
  • Reach down and pick things up off the floor. (Again, mum's the word!)
  • Engage in, erm, extracurricular activities.
  • Ditch my cane as soon as I feel like it. The doc seemed to think I would be tossing it within a week. He said that I can walk as much as I like, and that using the cane didn't provide any real benefit unless I needed it for stability.
:happydance: :egypdance: :dancy: :yahoo:

I hereby promise to contain myself and take all of this slowly. I really did learn my lesson. That said, I feel as though I've been let out of prison. The knowledge that I no longer have to treat myself like a China doll relaxed my body in a deep way, and now I'm walking much more easily. And, after two days' rest and ice, there's no more pain or swelling.

I should also mention what I'm supposed to avoid, in case anyone's interested:
  • Reaching down to pick up something from the floor on either side of the chair while ("whilst," for Queenie) seated.
  • Intense exercise (the HIIT will have to wait).
  • Crossing my legs
That's it! He wants to see me in two months, and believes that I can begin gradually getting back into figure skating at that time. Thank you, thank you to my buddies who wrote such encouraging words this week! :puppysmooze:
 
[Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
You managed to wait---and now the good things are yours. Now you must exercise patience---then even better things will be yours.

Congrats on being set free
[Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
! With "patience" next you'll be celebrating this:


[Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
Take care---we care. [Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
 
Hi HHH,
You must be delighted with how far you have come in only 3 weeks.Well done Keep up the good work and keep us pre op hipsters posted
Kim
 
Great news HHH, I must have missed you were a figure skater. My daughter was a competitive skater in her teens for 7 years. I used to skate also, but my abilities went as far as skating backwards and forwards competently, knowing how to stop quickly (this was key) and an occasional semi spin. I still have my skates, which cost a lot. I'd love to be able to screw up my courage and skate again. Being a "skate mom" was quite an experience (an expensive one at that)
 
HIP HIP HOORAY FOR HIPPO!!!!!

You must be over the moon. I'm so happy for you. Off with the shackles lady.........you are now free to cause havoc wherever you so wish. Absolutely marvellous news!

You do make me laugh....Julie Andrews on crack....hilarious. It was Friday dance night last night and my lovely Brother in Law, who happens to be a part time dance DJ, sent me a CD which he aptly named 'Back on your feet'. Well, I was definitely John Travolta on acid last night!!

Impressed to see you're milking the sock/man flu situation. Don't let the side down.......... A woman scorned and all that(poor chap).

Onwards and upwards dear Hippo.

Queenie xxx
 
Great to hear so many of your restrictions have been lifted! Isn't it wonderful to lose the toilet seat! I came home from my restriction lifting appointment and headed straight for the bathroom to get rid of the thing. Maybe it symbolizes the helpless feelings we have immediately after surgery and when it is not needed any more it means we are a little more independant.
 
Wonderful news! Take it slow and easy though. Young bones must help! Good Luck.
 
Hey everyone. I'll be doing "the rounds" and trying to stop by everyone's threads today, to see how you're faring. I beg your understanding, in advance, as I disappear for a few days at a time. I'm learning to schedule downtime after "up time" and the whole cycle seems to take a few days.

Sunday, after a great night of sleeping alternatively on my operated side and the other side (ahh....), I attended my fiance's soccer (futball) game. Sitting in the sunshine and drinking in all that lovely male competitive jousting was just heavenly. I walked in the park, for about half a mile, just reveling in the aromas of the blooming trees. Then, we went out for lunch and did some shopping. All of this was without a cane, and I had no problems or pain whatsoever. 'Came home and did some preventative icing, and promptly fell asleep at 7 pm, like a good "old lady."

I have to say to anyone who tries that first outing without a cane, don't be surprised if you feel a little anxious at first. But, you'll be amazed at what you can do!

So, the rhythm in this recovery phase seems to be rest, activity, rest, rest rest.... Hey, I'll take it!

Cheers to all. I can't wait to see how you're doing.

HHH

Beth (Short for Elizabeth a.k.a. Queen. See Queenie? I knew we had plenty in common.) :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected! Well, Your Majesty, I'm glad you had a great Sunday---that kind of activity makes for a happy monarch---and that 's the way we want to people who "lord" it over us to be :heehee: . Seriously, it's wonderful that you had such a great day---and that you've been smart enough to rest up after it--whatever works, right!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
 
Dearest Hippo

Sounds like you had a great day........A full, well rounded day me thinks.

I used to love watching my man play sports. Apart from me, rugby is the love of his life. Not sure if you've come across much rugby. It's like American football but a bit rougher and without any padding or protection. It's a game only a complete nutter would play. I love watching but find myself eternally grateful that I don't have a son as I could never watch any child of mine playing rugby.
Husband retired from the game 10yrs ago. He played to a very high standard then gave up when he realised that we relied on him as a daddy and made the correct decision to put us first............He was also getting too old and rusty and was in brave danger of doing himself some serious mischief!!!
Now he plays, 5-a-side football once a week and swims every morning(around 80 lengths), so he's still pretty fit but doesn't really play anything worth watching anymore. So we go and watch our local team Exeter Chiefs whenever they are playing at home just so that I can get my fix of gorgeous, muscly legs!!

Sounds like you are mending nicely and getting back on track to a 'normal' life. I can't tell you how desperate I am to sleep on both sides.....I'm actually turning a funny shade of green as I type!

So happy for you.

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxxx

Beth to Queenie.........I like how your mind works.....Nut job!! Xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom