THR So Much Easier Than I Expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ok:
Thank you, Sansabosa. (Selin is a pretty name!) Sometimes, a simple frame of reference helps strange things feel more familiar. This surgery really did feel a lot like a plane trip to me.

I don't feel dizzy at all. In fact, I feel terrific! It's 2:30 am local time, and I awoke after drinking lots of water (that's a good tip, by the way, drink lots of water as soon as they allow you to, especially when you still have your catheter in, to flush out all the *stuff* from your body). Anyway, I woke up this morning, and having had the catheter removed yesterday -- I don't miss it -- I called the nurse, slid off the bed in the correct way, and walked to the bathroom easily with crutches. The only problem is that now I'm wide awake. I weaned myself from the morphine during the first night, and I'm taking a wonderful drug called Torodal that is like super-Motrin and really doesn't have any dizzy side effects with me. They also gave me Neurontin, which doesn't seem to bother me, either. My pain is still zero to 1-2, and that's only when I walk a lot, which I did today. Right now, it's zero. I should also mention that the nurses leave an ice bag on my hip all the time, only removing it when I feel I've had enough.

The spinal injection sounds scary, but it truly wasn't. The anesthesiologist had me sit on the table, and lean forward with bad posture, bowing my spine like an angry cat and then relaxing with a deep breath. The OR nurse held my shoulders and we talked about our local sports team. The anesthesiologist numbed the area and then I felt a tiny prick and a little pressure. It was over within about 10 seconds. I should also mention that he had just given me the happy medicine to make me feel all nappy and woozy prior to this, and the green giraffe cavorting about the room kept me entertained while the injection was going on (kidding about the giraffe but the woozy anesthesia took effect very quickly and felt great). Once again, something that sounded so scary and that I just dreaded beforehand was really no big deal.

Did I hear any noises? Not really, until they started to bring me back around to consciousness at the end of the surgery. I heard jovial laughter and conversation among the team members, which was a pleasant, welcome sound. And then I heard my surgeon saying how well the surgery went. No pounding or knocking sounds were heard, thank heavens! But, I'm still glad that the anesthesiologist told me beforehand that hearing those sounds was a possibility. Can you imagine how awful it would be to rouse just a bit and hear such noises, not knowing about them ahead of time? :yikes: You'd think it was the end of the world.

I joked with my OR nurse before the surgery, and told her we needed a "safety word." If I felt anything below the waist during the surgery, I would say, "Spumoni," and she'd know to stop everything. (The term is from an old Will Ferrell film, Semi Pro, in which he wrestles a huge, "tame" bear. Look up Youtube Will Ferrell, spumoni on Youtube. Funny stuff!)

To Sansabosa or anyone else who reads this thread, I'm sorry about the long posts. I'm a writer who's stuck in a room with four channels on the TV and nothing much to do. While I'm on a rambling spree, I'll just add another observation, and I won't be hurt if you just close the window without reading it...

When my fiance came in to see me last night, he got all woozy looking at the IV in my hand. That's funny because it's been there for two days and now it's not attached to anything. They leave it in only as a precaution so they don't have to prick you again if you suddenly need some drugs. Poor guy, he turned quite gray and threw his dinner in the trash. I let him win our chess game quickly (shh!) and sent him home. The nurse who came in says this happens sometimes with husbands and friends. Sometimes, the poor blokes even pass out.

Well, good night and good morning to all. I am eagerly waiting to hear your stories too, in the coming days.

HHH

Thank you for sharing your very good experience - I have a week to go - and a little on edge - but trusting it will be the best thing for me in the long run. Sounds like 1/2 awake is the way to go - I have my pre-op on Tuesday, so maybe we'll discuss it then. My legs are the same length, but when I walk they are not - because my hip is displaced and that makes it act like it's shorter than my right leg. Looking forward to getting beyond the first few weeks after surgery, as I should be able to move back to my place. I plan on staying with my mom because she has a 1 floor home - not as many stairs. Will see how long I can take it - haven't lived with my mom since I was 17; then again it will be nice to have some take care of me for a while. :giggle:
 
Hi HHH-

I'm all done with all the surgeries and reading the gospel according to HHH. I couldn't have said it better.
 
Hi Hippo

Great advice for anyone waiting for a hip op. You sound very positive and looks like your recovery is going really well.

#2 three times in one day!!!............I'm lucky if I go three times a week! :rolleyes:

The Queenster xxxx
 
Luluohio, I'm interested to hear how your follow-up doctor visit went. Are you off the weight-bearing restriction? If not, I wouldn't worry. Sometimes, I think we (actually means "I") tend to place too much emphasis on lifted restrictions and how much or how little equipment we use. It's like we're desperately trying to return to a state of walking without any tools or restrictions, and consider the lack of these things to be a sign of healing. Thus, we turn our trusty aids into our foes. But healing doesn't seem to work that way. Anyway, I wish you the best and I know you're making great progress.

We lived in a downtown SF high-rise for the last seven years. It was great in so many ways, and I'm glad that we had the experience. Union Square was a short stroll away. Now, we're still in the city, but we've recently moved to a house in a quaint neighborhood with little shops and restaurants. It's a 7-minute BART (subway) ride from our old place, so it feels like the best of both worlds. Our 100-lb. dog is happy to have a small back yard, and I love the outdoor deck and fruit trees. My love affair with SF started at first sight. It's a special place.

AnnBanan, you're very welcome and I love your name.
 
HHH,
Great recovery, great inspiration for all of us who are at the pre-op stage.
I wish that your recovery continues with this excellent trend.
best.
 
hiphiphorray I had my post op appt today. To my surprise the OS removed all wb restrictions and hip precautions and said I could even get rid of my toilet risers and sit in a normal chair. All I need to do is make sure I keep my knees apart when I bend down and reach between my legs and not to cross my legs over the center of my body (ever) He said one patient reached to the outside of her leg and pointed her toes inward, 4 years post op, and dislocated her hip putting on boots.
I am so happy but a bit sore. I find it easier to walk with my cane without the wb percautions. I took a long nap when I got home and woke up in pain because I did more than usual. I took my first few steps in the office and when I got home I practiced with my cane. I found I could get around really well, I didn't do much but my body can tell the difference, I guess and it doesn't like it much. I will keep going and will eventually things will get easier, I hope. My OS kept me on my pain meds but wants me to decrease them over time. I have my next follow up in another month. So I will be walking with care, he actually told me to walk and start bearing wt on both legs using my walker for the first few days. I'll probably use it most of the time tomorrow and just start using my cane a little and progress in a day or so. I just was so happy to be free of the walker I wanted to park it for a while. I am going outside rain or shine tomorrow for my first walk probably with my crutches. Thanks for asking. I'm so happy!!!!
 
Hey hiphiphorray, how's it hangin' ?

Just wanted to check in on you as you seem to have been off radar for a while. I'd love to know how you're getting on. I'm hoping that you've been up and at 'em and just been too darn busy to post anything............Great!

Don't be a stranger lovely girl(no pressure!!). I really miss your posts.

Queenie xxxxxx
 
Hey, Miz Queenie, thanks for the nudge. It has indeed been a busy week. I returned to working full-time this week. I telecommute, so at least I can sit here with my hair sticking up in 40 different directions, wearing pajamas and work, without having to leave home. If only the people on my conference calls knew the sight to which they were actually talking! It's not pretty, believe me.

I have also really experienced the energy drain this week. Maybe it's because I had an active weekend and I'm getting around pretty well with a cane, now, but every so often, my body just says, "Ahem!" If I ignore it, it says, "AHEM!" I'm learning to give in at the first nudge and just take a nap. Yesterday, I slept 10 hours at night, and then took a 1-1/2 hour nap during the day. (What is it that you guys call a nap -- a "lie down?") Well, I had quite a lie down. 'Dreamed I was on a passenger train being pursued by Rob Lowe to do all sorts of unspeakable things... 'Had better stop that line of thought before I get into trouble. Anyway, when I awoke, I was hugging the dog. I hope I didn't act out too much of my dream while sleeping -- horrors!

For me, week 2, going into week 3 is the hard part of recovery. I feel so well and want to do so many things, but I'm trying to hold back and take it one step at a time. How's it with you? How was your auto expedition down the lane? Are any ducks the worse for it?

Luluohio, sorry for the late response, and I am so glad to hear about your post-op visit and that you're doing so well! Yay to the lifting of restrictions! I long for the day when I can sit in a regular chair and no longer have to sleep with piles of pillows between my legs like giant maxi pads. I also look forward to putting on socks (it's the little things!) without that darn sock tool, BUT I will probably require my fiance to continue "socking" me for a long time in retribution for letting his man flu strand me on my own when I first came home. :heehee:

Cheers!

HHH
 
HHH, thanks for the update with all the good advice. You are answering questions that I didn't even have. What a great way to be prepared to the fullest. I will take all of them to heart. Keep posting.
 
Hip hip hooray HIPPO is back!!

You're back working......Mmmmmmmmm.......me thinks this might be the cause of the energy drain. Just chatting can still bring one of those on for me. Mind you, it does often depend to whom I am speaking. Well, now that I know you're back to work I shan't worry quite so much if I don't spot a regular post from you.

You are doing so well. You must be really pleased. I'm certainly chuffed to bits for you(know that one?.......chuffed to bits? Chuffed means pleased and chuffed to bits means really pleased. I don't think I've heard any Americans use that expression).

Rob Lowe eh? I used to love him on Brothers and Sisters. One of my favourite all time tv shows that came out of the old U..S..of A. That and of course Dexter. I love Robert Downey Jr. Unfortunately he is a bit too short for me as I'm 5'10" and therefore my head is not turned by a vertically challenged personage of the male species. I do find him really funny though.
As long as your li'l pooch didn't have a big smile on his face or a fixed horrified glare then I think we can safely say you're dream passed without incident.

10hrs kip you lucky girl. I'm still desperate for anything more than 3. Yes we say 'going for a lie down', having forty winks, nap, kip and going up the apples and pears to Noddy Land(love that one). We're a funny bunch us Brits ain't we?!

So pleased everything is ok with you Hippo. Keep smiling.

Queenie xxxxx

Ps Your Significant Other will be paying for that little faux pas for many moons yet. It's a great trump card which of course you'll be able to play from here til eternity. Tee hee hee .
 
Good to here from you HHH. You have a great sense of humor about all the indignities that come with the territory. Let me know how your working is going. i'm planning to try to work a few house from home after three weeks. Better pay than state disability. I'm a designer and can lie on my couch with legs up, ice packs in position and work on my laptop which will be perched on an overbed table. I can access all my files at work remotely. I figure I can work a bit, then nap a bit, I may get used to that schedule.
 
designergirl
Hi dear
İ agree with you. As long as you dont push yourself physically and you are not drained out mentally as well, why not start slowly working from home...
 
Roses are red,
And, Queenie is chuffed.
Plateaus are gnarly,
But setbacks are rough.

Sorry, but that was the best attempt at poetry I could muster, given how I feel right now. For some strange reason, the BoneSmart website only sends me notifications for some posts (and not others) so I am just now seeing your posts on this thread from last Friday,
Queenie, sansabosa, and designergirl. I wish I had read them and taken them to heart.

Today, I am three weeks post-op, and I'm a mess! I overdid the work, the housecleaning, the cavorting around without any walking aids, (and even broke into the Cabernet one night out of sheer boredom) and now I'm paying for it. My leg is quite swollen again, including my foot. The skin even feels tight. My hip aches and it's stiff. I'm back to hobbling with the cane or crutch. :gaah: On top of that, my allergies have gone haywire and every time I sneeze, it hurts. As if that wasn't enough, it's *that time* of month and I am cramping badly and all that goes with that. I want someone to take all the non-working parts of my body, shove them in a wheelbarrow and cart them away to the dump!
 
hiphiphorray

What a shame! İm so sorry that you are suffering 20 days post op after such a smooth period. Try some ice for the swollen part of your leg and just rest. Are you taking NSAİ tha would also help with the period cramp?
 
Oh no HHH, I hope you feel better soon. I think setbacks come with the territory. We get all excited about progress and try to do more. It's our body's way of saying whoa, slow down. I'd get to icing and elevating as soon as possible.
 
Thank you, Sansabosa and Designergirl. Yes, I'm taking NSAIDs, which should help with the cramps and overall inflammation. Today will be a light work-in-bed day with my leg up and hip iced. It's really humbling to see how quickly your body rebels when you don't treat it well. We like to think that we're in charge, but...

Designergirl, I'm glad to see you're moving along. I've been reading you thread and will continue to visit it.

Sansabosa, I woke up in the middle of the night the other night, and watched a travel documentary on Istanbul. What a beautiful city! I never realized that it was chunked into three pieces like that. You must enjoy living in such an exotic place.
 
Hi dear,

Yes it is a wonderful city but our bridge is not reddish :) İ also think that san francisco is my favorite city in the US. İ used to work in a pharmaceutical company based in Foster city and travelled to Sf several times. The nappa area, oh my god, i loved it.

You wont be offended if i say that your soul is 29 but the body is 49! :headbang:

İ wish you will be much better by tomorrow

Cheers
Selin
 
hiphiphorray
sansabosa
If I was 49 again, I would really overdo it too. It seems that most people on this site, do tend to overdo it, unless they had other joints replaced and lived through it before. I kept telling myself I wasn't going to overdo it either but air and life is going on and it looks and sounds so good compared to sitting on a couch forever........
hiphiphorray, you didn't serve your time on the couch. You need to walk before you can run. You were awfully active for 3 weeks post op.
I walked a mile with my cane at 5 weeks and had quite a bit of pain. I'm backing off and letting the healing process take over. I'll walk half the distance but no more for a week or so. I guess we all mend in time, so why rush the process.
I hope you are feeling better after your rest and ice!
 
I think it's wonderful that we can help each other from all over the world. Bonesmart is quite amazing. Take care everyone.
 
Actually, Sansabosa, I love your 29 soul/49 body comment! :) So true! It would be nice if you could visit me someday and we could take a walk in the Napa vineyards with neither of us limping. And I would like to see your beautiful, non-red bridge and the amazing mosques. Designergirl, I agree that it's nice to have our world village with so much in common.

Luluohio, you are SO right! I tried to leapfrog ahead and wound up with my froggy rump hitting the ground. :snork:

I believe the reason that many of us tend to overdo it, especially at first, is this: when we're recovering from what -- no matter how easy it seems at the time -- is a traumatic experience, we tend to focus on what we can do instead of what we should do. I think it's a psychological self-reassuring mechanism, as if we're saying to ourselves, "Everything must be OK now. I can walk, cook, whatever... the ordeal must be almost over!" We like to believe that everything is returning to normal as quickly as possible. Then reality comes in. It is actually the people who have come to terms with the pace of the healing process who can admit that it takes a while (much longer than anyone would like) but it will still be alright in the end and it's OK in the meantime.

Joyce Meyer, a famous speaker and minister, has a saying that applies very well here. "I'm not where I need to be but, thank God, I'm not where I used to be. I'm OK and I'm on my way." Words to live by.

All of this was typed with my feet up and my dog Joe snuggled next to me. The floor needs sweeping and my next assignment is due, but everything can just WAIT! 'Feeling better already.

Love from

HHH
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom