Guest viewing is limited

THR So Much Easier Than I Expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you believe it? All that great hip progress and walking on only one crutch, with very little pain after five days and now I'm sneezing my head off and feel like utter doo doo. My fiance caught this illness the day that I came home and has been hacking his head off, ever since. I tried to avoid catching it from him, but oh well. I am at least thankful that the hip is as good as it is. Having major pain there would really be just too much to take, now. I want to put my head down and die.

Mods, please forgive my posting a second post-op thread. I didn't want to sully my otherwise brilliant recovery and positive message with this thing.
 
HHH, did you make it home yet? If so what are they doing to prevent blood clots? Do they have you wearing the socks? My surgeon said I will be wearing some kind of leg things that keeps contracting in my legs. I have to wear it for 10 days....something to do with this way will keep me from having to take blood thinning drugs. For the first day in the hospital did you get out of bed? You said you had a catheter.
 
HHH, so sorry you have the flu [Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected! . You know that means
[Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
.


But I think you deserve at least an
[Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
. Get well soon.
 
Hi Sandybeach. I came home Saturday (two days after surgery). To prevent the blood clots, they gave me blood thinners while in the hospital, and now I have to give myself a series of daily stomach shots (Enoxaparin Sodium) for five days. Sounds freakish, but really it's no big deal. It's the tiniest needle ever -- smaller than the ones they use for diabetes testing -- and you can get all sorts of sympathy out of doing it because the syringes are big, yellow, and imposing, heehee. When I run out of syringes (two more), I'll take an oral dose of aspirin daily for about 2 weeks. Note to anyone who may be self-administering the stomach shots -- don't push the plunger down so hard that it snaps the cover closed whilst the thing is in your stomach. (Don't ask.)

I wore the compression socks for a day and half in the hospital, before they removed them. Don't say "have to" about them! They were lovely, giving a constant leg massage, and I actually missed them when they were gone. 'Not sure how I'd feel about ten days of it, but the possibility of a pulmonary embolism is one to take seriously. It's a game-over proposition.

I did get out of bed the first day, with my catheter hanging on the walker and believe me, the Paparazzi were there in full force taking pictures for New York Fashion Week! They removed the catheter on the second day, which was good because, well, no one really wants a catheter for long but bad because then I had to get up every time that I needed to "go," which involved the whole royal entourage of nurses, walking aids, etc.

Hope this answered your questions. So many of the things you'll deal with will turn out to be truly minor in the end.

Cheers,

HHH
 
You were all kind to give hugs... But, ewww, you're right. Maybe I should have asked people to lob chocolate bars my way. Bottomshollow, can you please change the thread title to "Have flu, need chocolate" ?
 
So sorry you have to deal with the flu on top of recovery, at least you didn't get it before and have surgery delayed. Sending healing prayers your way.
 
Mods, please forgive my posting a second post-op thread. I didn't want to sully my otherwise brilliant recovery and positive message with this thing.

Awwww.....hhh......so sorry that I had to merge your two threads, but.....we MUST let everyone know that you are human and you can have unexpected little setbacks in that sterling recovery. This is life, you know!!! Here's hoping you are over the flu quickly.

And since you are recovering from both a hip replacement AND the flu, I officially authorize DOUBLE doses of chocolate for you.

[Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
 
Hey Hippo,
Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Can I suggest you purchase some Olive Leaf Extract. It is antiviral, antibacterial and has lots of antioxidants. Totally natural and 10x better for your system than any antibiotics. I swear by it and have had it in my medicine cupboard for years. Check it out on the Internet.

Hope your feeling better soon.

Queenie xxxx

Ps Did the boyfriend get to wash your hair? I'm dyeing mine today........should be interesting!
 
Thank you, Designergirl. The prayers are working. They always do! Today, I am over the fever, breathing again, and dealing with only a few sneezy, snuffly remnants.

Jamie, now THAT's a chocolate bar! Yum. No worries on merging the two threads. 'Easier that way.

Queenie, I didn't have the Olive Leaf Extract on hand, but I will try it next time. I agree with you that there are better remedies than antibiotics. Here's what I used to knock this bug out in only a day or so:
  • Liposomal Vitamin C - This type of Vitamin C is molecularly structured so that it can transverse the cellular membrane. The bottom line is that, instead of absorbing 10-20%, the body absorbs >90% of it. I credit this vitamin with much of my bounce-back capability.
  • Vitamin D - I load up on it when I first start feeling ill. People swear by it.
  • Echinacea/goldenseal - long-known for healing upper respiratory issues
  • Ice cream - don't make me explain it
Queenie, what color are you dyeing your hair? Will it be vastly different from the previous color? I'm always tempted to dye mine blue or something outrageous, but usually just end up with my blonde highlights. Please let us know how it turns out.
 
Part B of the response to Queenie: the answer is, "No, the boyfriend/fiance did NOT wash my hair." Nor did he fetch me meals or drinks or prop me up with pillows the first few days after I came home. My first night home from the hospital, I ordered Chinese takeout while he sprawled on the futon I that had set up with pillows as my recovery spot, moaning aloud because he had the flu. Poor baby [/sarcasm]. I consider myself lucky to have seen what he's really like under circumstances where I was able to manage without his *help.* I will be doing some serious re-evalution in the coming days. When you see someone in a certain light, it's difficult to unsee them that way, afterward.
 
Hi Hippo

Your reply to my hair washing question has really surprised me. I'm lost for words and not sure what to say...........seriously, this hardly ever happens! I want to say sorry but its not my place to apologise. I wish I could come and plump your cushions and bring you meals and drinks..........I would if I could. Sorry but having 'man' flu is no excuse for not pulling your finger out and helping someone fresh out of hospital. I've said too much. But I guess you can see where I'm coming from.

Breath deeply and count to 10.

I'll be thinking about you. :friends:

Queenie xxxx
 
Thank you, Queenie! I was rather at a loss for words myself. No, you didn't say too much. I thought the same -- "Man flu" hardly trumps having one's hip replaced -- and told him so. I appreciate your being so kind, and your thoughtful words.

On a more positive note, woman's best friend has more aptly proven himself. I initially had to banish my poor dog, Joe, from the bedroom for fear that he would trample my newly renovated socket with 100 lbs of over-exuberant dogginess. Last night, I let him cuddle alongside me, where he normally sleeps. Joe jumped up very carefully, nosed around my hip for a bit, sidled down beside me and then rested his "arm" across my shoulder as if to say, "You're not going anywhere." He's been walking and lying gingerly around me as if I'm eggshells today, which is not his usual rowdy style.

I'm off now to have a lovely shower with orange-honeysuckle soap and finally shampoo my Medusa-like hair in an aromatic fruit extract. Tomorrow, I'll order a sushi dinner from my favorite restaurant, and guess which of my two co-inhabitants will enjoy a lovely Valentine's Day feast with me?

Cheers!

HHH

Now, tell me about that hair color of yours!
 
Hey Hippo, how's it hangin'?

Lovin' the two separate stories we have going on in our threads. I'll apologise now if I get them mixed up. Don't be surprised if you find yourself scratching your head thinking ' what the Dickens?'....................Dickens........Similar in meaning to what the heck, what the hell, etc. Is most commonly used in a state of puzzlement and awe. Dickens is a euphemism for 'devil' from Shakespeare's 'Merry Wives of Windsor',(Act III, scene II). "I cannot tell what the dickens his name is". NOT as many people mistakenly think from Charles Dickens.........But I digress......
What breed is your pooch? Dogs are great aren't they? He obviously knows that something is up with you and is treating you accordingly. That is so adorable. I've got a cream/rust 5yr old Cocker Spaniel called Archie. He's often giving my scar a little sniff. Funny that. Only trouble is, 6wks down the line and he thinks everything's back to normal and often jumps up on my side of the bed and hits my sore rump!! The poor chap doesn't then understand why he's getting a ticking off. He's a bit nuts and fits in well with the rest of the family. He's a rescue dog so goodness only knows what he went through in the 18mths before we got him. He's very needy and anxious but a gentle soul who's 'all mouth and no trousers' as we say over here. Do you have that saying? I grew up with dogs but my husband didn't and we had to work very hard at convincing him that a dog would complete our li'l family. At first he wasn't happy but now he regards Archie as his baby. He even picks up the dog poop!!
I was always pack leader but since I've not been able to walk Archie his allegiance has turned to my Husband(Husband secretly loves this). Another reason why I'm desperate to get back on track. The cheek of it! He's forgotten that I was the one who rescued him. I was the one who walked him everyday. I was the one who sat up with him all night when he was sick. Rotten turncoat!............I still love him though and when I'm back on my feet again he'll remember who's boss. :puppysmooze:

Hope Valetines Day will be better than you think.

Queenie xxx

Ps I've been colouring my hair since I was 16 and have pretty much been all the colours of the rainbow(I'm a hairdresser by trade.....Gentlemens Barber actually). In the past 10yrs I've become rather conservative with my choice of dye, but its generally deep red, mahogany, chestnut or just plain brown. I have loads of boxes under the bed in spare room and haven't yet decided what colour to choose. Was too tired in the end yesterday but as I need cheering up I think I'll do it today. Watch this space..............
 
I love our dual threads and also apologize in advance for mixing them up, as well. Your Archie sounds wonderful.

Joe is also a rescued dog. I found him online through a great website that shows pictures and profiles of the available dogs at all the area shelters (1000's of them). The picture and the description of his ears drew me to him. The blurb went something like, "He bounces when he walks and his ears flop forward most of the time." Imagine a 100-lb. lapdog, not very bright, but very sweet and sensitive, who looks like someone stuck nine different breeds together.

When people began stopping us on the street and asking us, "What IS that?" we decided to have a DNA test done on him. The results were: (up to 20%) Rhodesian Ridgeback and Akita, (up to 10%) Golden Lab and Dalmation and (up to 5%) Beagle and Yorkie. Needless to say, he doesn't resemble any other dog that I've ever seen. He has the big body and massive head (and the lion-chasing courage) of the Ridgeback, the guard dog instinct of the Akita, the coloring of the lab, the up-and-forward shaped ears of the Dalmation, the short, stubby legs of the Beagle and the absolute sofa monarch personality of the Yorkie. The odd thing (as if that weren't enough) about Joe is that he's a true empath. Once, I was in another room and I clipped a toenail too short. I didn't utter a sound, but he came running from the other room and looked down at my foot. I can only imagine how this surgery and my recovery have assaulted his sensitive nature, and I hope it hasn't been too traumatic for him. He slept in the bed with me again last night, and woke up acting as if all is right with the world.
 
hiphiphorray I just read you post on another thread about in home PT. I have to agree with you. I don't think I've ever really benefited from a PT visit. My OS will not allow PT to visit for the first month and he wants his patients to just do the exercises we were shown at the hospital pre discharge and walk around the house. My dear old dad had in-home PT and it never seemed to benefit much. Of course I think there is a place for them, adding more exercises and making sure you are doing them correctly. Other than that, I see no benefit for atleast the first month or so. I'll probably go for some outside PT next month after I start walking and can get outside.
I'm going for my first follow up tomorrow, it's been 1 month and 4 days since my surgery. My OS told me I had a 75% wb restriction, that is just enough to hold me up a bit on my activity. I'm just trying to follow the rules but sometimes I would like to get rid of this walker and live like a normal person again. So I'm hoping he lifts the wb restriction tomorrow then I should be getting around like everyone else at this stage recovery. I tried to use a cane but it's a bit ackward trying to keep 25% of your weight off your leg with a cane. A cane seems to be more of a extra means of stabilizing yourself once you can wb 100%. Considering my doctor's appt is so close I just hung it up and thought I would see what my OS says.
You sound like you are doing great. One crutch sounds great. Hopefully tomorrow I will be a one crutch woman too.
Continue improving! Sounds like you have a exciting life. Are you in the downtown area of SF? If so, that must be a blast. I love SF
 
WOW! It sounds like you're doing great! I've got 13 days more and I'm so excited. Thanks for the very complete description of what your surgery and post-op has been like.
 
Here's the official one-week post-surgery update. If you're on the pre-op side, this should cheer you up...
  • Pain is still 0-1, and that's only when I walk around A LOT or accidentally start to turn or move in ways that I shouldn't be moving
  • Walking on one crutch, sometimes with a cane, for few steps here and there with nothing at all
  • Only taking Advil, as needed, during the day, and I'm going to try sleeping without the stronger pain med tonight (will have one on the bedside table, just in case)
  • 'Slept through the night last night, only waking once and awoke at precisely 6 am without an alarm clock (which is my usual routine, since forever)
  • Took the last of my blood thinner stomach shots today (YAY!) and tomorrow, I start a once-daily aspirin regimen for about 10 days
  • Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but anyone who's had the surgery and meds will appreciate this -- I went #2 three times today!!! I feel like an excited toddler.
  • The swelling in my lower hemisphere is down substantially (80-90%)
  • I'm planning some brief outdoor walks this weekend with the fiance or a friend. My marching orders are "weight bearing as tolerated."
So, it's safe to say that all is going well. My advice on what worked:
  • Take as much of your pain meds as you need for as long as you need them
  • When you need a nap, take one
  • When you walk, post-op, walk with good form (good posture, heel-to-toe). It's better to walk properly with more aids, more slowly or a with a shorter stride than to practice a limp or develop bad habits. I'm happy to only need one crutch around the house but you'd better believe I'm taking them both along on the longer walks.
  • Ice, ice, baby
  • Take a daily probiotic to keep your stomach bacteria happy and a good multivitamin for overall energy
  • Look into Liposomal Vitamin C. You can buy it or make it at home, but the idea is that it delivers much more of this essential vitamin to your system with antioxidants that you'll need.
  • If you have low beds or futons, raise them with frames or palettes underneath before the surgery. The memory foam toppers I bought are comfy, but they don't give the actual height that you'll need to lift yourself off the surface. I really wish I had done this one.
  • When they offer you the big ridiculous foam wedge to take home from the hospital, take it! It's great for converting kitchen chairs into the proper angle.
I'm so interested to hear from all of you, your own experiences and any thoughts or other viewpoints on the advice.

Cheers!

HHH
 
[Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
Great post HHH! Lots of good info and points. You are doing really really well. Keep up the good work.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] So Much Easier Than I Expected!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom