THR So Much Easier Than I Expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks HHH for describing all the details of your Preop experience. Reading it will be very reassuring to us all.
Sending Selin lots of luck for Monday. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Dear HHH,



İ loved your flight analogy. İt is so inspiring for those of us on the way to surgery.

İ was amazed how you were able to write so long after the surgery. Dont you feel dizzy with the meds?

Some quick questions:

-how was the spinal injection? Did it hurt much?

-did you hear any noises during the surgery?

cheers

Selin

Thank you, Sansabosa. (Selin is a pretty name!) Sometimes, a simple frame of reference helps strange things feel more familiar. This surgery really did feel a lot like a plane trip to me.

I don't feel dizzy at all. In fact, I feel terrific! It's 2:30 am local time, and I awoke after drinking lots of water (that's a good tip, by the way, drink lots of water as soon as they allow you to, especially when you still have your catheter in, to flush out all the *stuff* from your body). Anyway, I woke up this morning, and having had the catheter removed yesterday -- I don't miss it -- I called the nurse, slid off the bed in the correct way, and walked to the bathroom easily with crutches. The only problem is that now I'm wide awake. I weaned myself from the morphine during the first night, and I'm taking a wonderful drug called Torodal that is like super-Motrin and really doesn't have any dizzy side effects with me. They also gave me Neurontin, which doesn't seem to bother me, either. My pain is still zero to 1-2, and that's only when I walk a lot, which I did today. Right now, it's zero. I should also mention that the nurses leave an ice bag on my hip all the time, only removing it when I feel I've had enough.

The spinal injection sounds scary, but it truly wasn't. The anesthesiologist had me sit on the table, and lean forward with bad posture, bowing my spine like an angry cat and then relaxing with a deep breath. The OR nurse held my shoulders and we talked about our local sports team. The anesthesiologist numbed the area and then I felt a tiny prick and a little pressure. It was over within about 10 seconds. I should also mention that he had just given me the happy medicine to make me feel all nappy and woozy prior to this, and the green giraffe cavorting about the room kept me entertained while the injection was going on (kidding about the giraffe but the woozy anesthesia took effect very quickly and felt great). Once again, something that sounded so scary and that I just dreaded beforehand was really no big deal.

Did I hear any noises? Not really, until they started to bring me back around to consciousness at the end of the surgery. I heard jovial laughter and conversation among the team members, which was a pleasant, welcome sound. And then I heard my surgeon saying how well the surgery went. No pounding or knocking sounds were heard, thank heavens! But, I'm still glad that the anesthesiologist told me beforehand that hearing those sounds was a possibility. Can you imagine how awful it would be to rouse just a bit and hear such noises, not knowing about them ahead of time? :yikes: You'd think it was the end of the world.

I joked with my OR nurse before the surgery, and told her we needed a "safety word." If I felt anything below the waist during the surgery, I would say, "Spumoni," and she'd know to stop everything. (The term is from an old Will Ferrell film, Semi Pro, in which he wrestles a huge, "tame" bear. Look up Youtube Will Ferrell, spumoni on Youtube. Funny stuff!)

To Sansabosa or anyone else who reads this thread, I'm sorry about the long posts. I'm a writer who's stuck in a room with four channels on the TV and nothing much to do. While I'm on a rambling spree, I'll just add another observation, and I won't be hurt if you just close the window without reading it...

When my fiance came in to see me last night, he got all woozy looking at the IV in my hand. That's funny because it's been there for two days and now it's not attached to anything. They leave it in only as a precaution so they don't have to prick you again if you suddenly need some drugs. Poor guy, he turned quite gray and threw his dinner in the trash. I let him win our chess game quickly (shh!) and sent him home. The nurse who came in says this happens sometimes with husbands and friends. Sometimes, the poor blokes even pass out.

Well, good night and good morning to all. I am eagerly waiting to hear your stories too, in the coming days.

HHH
 
Sounds like you are doing just great HHH! I too had mini posterior and was on crutches leaving the hospital. For me it really wasn't a longer healing in terms of the incision. It think you will do just fine! Thanks for keeping us updated!
 
Thanks HHH.
You are progressing great!
Thank you for sharing your progress in detail and in such a nice way. İ enjoy very much reading your journey.
Keep well and keep us posted as well. )))
Selin
 
Thank you, Jaycey. I read some of your "Trailblazer..." recovery thread, and it really helped me to see that your experience is similar to mine, at least in the type of hip surgery and all the trials and emotions of going home. It looks like you did great and really are a trailblazer, so I'll take your word for everything. I don't have any cats like you do (allergic, and it just kills me not to have them!) but I will be so happy to see my dog, Joe, again. :puppysmooze:
 
Latest update...the occupational therapist came to give me my shower before going home, and asked me what kind of shampoo I'd like. I begged her not to include hair washing in the routine because my fiance offered to wash my hair at home today, and that's the first time he's ever done that! She laughed and informed me that he also needs to learn grape-peeling techniques. So, we skipped it and she gave me a shower cap.

I asked the nurse if she could remove my IV thinggy that's still in my hand but not attached to anything, because my fiance almost passed out, looking at it last night. She refused, very nicely, and then told me why. They had a TKR patient some time ago who was dressed, released, and ready to go home. The nurse went down the hall to get her papers, and was flagged down by a panicked orderly on her way back. The poor patient had fallen in the bathroom, hit her head, and broken her ankle! Poor thing. Can you imagine? They were glad to still have the IV available so they could treat her immediately. 'Another sign for all of us to take it slowly, huh?
 
Congratulations, HHH!! I was looking for your earlier post, the one in the "pre" side. Then, doing, realized you'd be on the "post" side, and you are! How wonderful to hear how your experience has been! And you've recounted everything so clearly and so well written, I am printing it out. I and I'm sure everyone else really appreciates your sharing the nitty-gritty, and so detailed and so soon after the operation. You answered questions I've been worrying about: the spinal; and "will I hear them while they operate?"

I'm so thrilled for you! Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. As you said, too, take it nice and easy.
 
Thank you, Jaycey. I read some of your "Trailblazer..." recovery thread, and it really helped me to see that your experience is similar to mine, at least in the type of hip surgery and all the trials and emotions of going home. It looks like you did great and really are a trailblazer, so I'll take your word for everything.

Thanks HHH, but really I was only the trailblazer for my month - May 2010. Believe me - I was just as concerned about it all as everyone else here.

Sounds like you are really doing well! Give that puppy a big hug. I am sure he will be a great comfort to you during your recovery.
 
What a great experience you have had hiphip! Best wishes for a great recovery period also. Love your detailed accounts of your experiences, it really helps us pre-ops have some idea of what to expect. I'm going to try to report on my experince in the same manner.
 
Hi HHH

Great to hear you got through everything ok remember and take things slowly when you get out and do all the sensible things, have a great recovery.

Billy
 
Hi HHH,

9:30 am is when they'll start on me. Only when they're done, I'll be half done. I'm channeling all that I've read here and I know I'll be fine. I'll drop you a line when I get settled. Thanks for the support.
 
HHH, like most have already said, thanks for your total account of your surgery experience and hospital stay. Your analogy as going on a trip....what a great way of comparing it!! We have all gone on a vacation and the prep along with being at the airport on time and once on that plane you are truly in the hands of the flight attendants. I have a long trip to the hospital and thinking of it in this way will help me make it through. How was your days of PT? Did you experience weakness in the your operated leg? How long did you stay in the hospital?
 
Hi sandybeach. I am also in MN and had a LTHR on Jan 9th. I went so well. It was late afternoon on a Weds. Had a spinal and it was just like HHH described it. The hospital stay was very good. It was at Abbott NW. All the staff was super. I agree with drinking lots of fluids, the cath was nice for that. The meds were good. The stool softeners were too much. The P.T. was very relaxed and not difficult. I was independent enough to shower on my own, big shower chair with a little spray of water. I did not need all to see me in my naked glory :D I left on Sat about noon and getting in the car and the ride home was just fine. I could bear weight right away which helped a great amount. I live in a 2 story house. I used a walker for the first week and am using a cane now. I also had my legs evened out so I still feel a little off kilter. My husband took the week off and then I was on my own. The 3 kids helped (some) and my dog was the best helper... At home we have a walk in shower and I brought my walker in with me for the first few days and a fews days I brought my cane in with me.
The first week was lots of resting in the bed, and the leg was very sore and sometimes restless.
I am like many others with the not sleeping well, a little stiff when I get up from a chair which is when I like to have my cane then.
I was lucky as I was cleared to drive after 2 weeks.

Sometimes I forget how much pain I was in for so long. I make myself remember because it is so good now to feel good. I have so much more energy just for the little things that a person does day to day . It is great. All will be good for you.
 
TJB..Abbott is a good hospital. My husband had surgery there several years ago. I'm having mine done in Chanhassen area. The OS I'm seeing does his surgery there. It's a drive for me, I live in the central part of the state. After reading all these posts yesterday from the people who have just had surgery recently I felt so calm and so much better about my upcoming surgeries. Thanks for all the good advice.
 
Hi, Sandybeach. I'm glad you liked the travel analogy. It really is like that, in terms of the waiting, the trust in your flight crew and the lovely bag of peanuts (ice bag) they bring you. I was in the hospital for 2 days. They almost let me go the day after surgery, but they wanted me to do all the in-hospital PT, such as bathing, dressing, stair-climbing with crutches, etc., and couldn't schedule it all in a day.

I wouldn't characterize the feeling in my operated leg as weakness, per se; it's more that I can just feel something's a little different, and have to adjust. Also, as others have noted, my superstar surgeon evened out my leg length, so that's also an adjustment when walking.

Here's wishing you luck with your upcoming surgery. It will be here and over before you know it. I'll keep checking on you.

Cheers,
HHH
 
Inimeg, you are probably in LaLaland right now, and I hope that it's a pain-free, happy one. Say hi to the green giraffe who flitted about my room and kept me company. I told him to visit you in between your two surgeries. Sending you prayers and only the very best wishes. Halfway there, now!

Hugs,

HHH
 
Hi Hippo

Will you please go look at my thread as I have some questions that I need answering. I can't hang around in suspenders any more!(that's suspense in earth speak).

Thank you kindly

The Queenmeister xxx
 
Hi Queenie, I'm browsing through your 26 Days... thread, now. Is there another one where I should be looking? I have a tendency to wander off in the wrong area....
 
Hi HHH! Your experience is exactly what I want! Your posts are so encouraging! So happy you are having a great experience!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom