Guest viewing is limited

THR So Much Easier Than I Expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who thinks that the Universe has no grand design must read this post. The short version of my post-op homecoming story is that my fiance (let's call him "A"), who was supposed to be taking care of me, suddenly came down with the "man flu" :mcoffee: after picking me up from the hospital, and then he spent my first two nights @ home moaning on MY recovery bed, leaving me to fend for myself in the back room. I ordered Chinese delivery and made the best of it.

Fast forward ~4 weeks, to yesterday, when A's mom just had partial Achilles tendon repair surgery. She lives nearby, so A is her designated caretaker. (Do you already see where this is going?) She's 60 and otherwise able-bodied, but refuses to do anything for herself. She keeps repeating, "I can't! I can't!" and calling him every five minutes to do something for her. He's had to carry her around, take her to the bathroom (which is a 20-minute round trip from her bedroom next to it), put her on the toilet, stay over at her place, take care of the cats, etc.

After 24 hours, A is losing his mind! He keeps saying things to me like, "I SO appreciate you!" "I can't believe how easy you were to take care of..." etc., etc. Meanwhile, I am biting my lip and trying to be gracious. The coup de gras was when he had to Hoover her house at 10 pm last night, just to be able to sleep there (a scary thought, considering that A's standard of cleanliness is much lower than mine). I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that he is developing a healthy appreciation for our clean home and what goes into keeping it that way.

If you're like me, you believe that such incidents do not happen by accident, and everyone eventually gets what they need from Life. As some say, "the chickens come home to roost."

Queenie, I agree with everything that you said about Rugby. They play it in the park here, sometimes, and I enjoy watching it but I'm glad that none of my family members play. Very rough! Your hubby sounds like quite the weekend warrior -- good for him and good for you, wink, wink, nudge, nudge. And oh yes, I'm an admitted nut job, and darn proud of it! Thanks for noticing.:)

Cheers,

HHH
 
Will write more on this subject later as it is now bed time and I've been on my lap top for hours, but.............

YEEEHAA!!!! And TEE HEE HEE all rolled into one. Now that little story really made me smile.

Xxxxxxx
 
Heehee, Queenie. Thought you might like that one. Better late than never, huh?

BarbaraR, yes, it sure is good to be appreciated. (BTW, I admire your 13's. It was always a lucky number of mine.)
 
hiphiphorray it's just so darn wonderful when SO recognizes what we do. I really think my husband is already doing so, I see the pained look on his face when he has to load the dishwasher, set up the coffee maker, clean countertops etc. At this point I could jump in on the countertops, but hey, I want to milk this a bit more. Good luck on all your progress.

-Susan
 
Thanks, Susan! I think there are some aspects of this whole journey that are good for all of us. Case in point, as the medical bills started to roll in, I was astonished at first but today, it dawned on me:

I have a $70,000 derriere! :egypdance: Now, that's something to be proud of!
 
Dede62, :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

Susan, I might as well be proud of it. I stopped at trying to figure out what it was worth per square inch. It was too big a project. :)
 
Mine was free (courtesy of the National Health Service). But then again, it certainly looks it at the moment...
 
I haven't gotten any of my surgery bills yet. I am doing this twice so I will be carrying around the most expensive thing we own other than our home. Now that's something for me to brag about:egypdance: The smaller my behind gets after this the more my square inch value becomes too.
 
My medical insurance bears the most cost, I'm only responsible for a $500 copayment. Also I pay for all the goodies like the sock aid, grab it etc. I will get a statement that tells me the cost though. I'm curious. I'd love to brag about the cost of my butt.
 
Obviously, California cost of living is included as well. Mine was a little over 56K for the surgery (parts, labor, and accommodations). I couldn't get a definitive part cost because of generic labeling on the hospital statement and the way it was billed to insurance. I'd be curious of what the real markup is for the parts. Additional costs included pre-op appointments/labs, home healthcare (nurse, OT, and PT) and last lab for anti-coagulants.
 
$70,000?!!!! WHAT THE.............?!

Is it diamond encrusted solid gold?

I had my hip replaced privately, not NHS(I'm covered by hubby's work insurance), but the whole experience was under £5000. My surgeon helped develop the world famous Exeter Hip. I'm really shocked at the cost of health care in America. Really shocked.

Sorry to cut this short but husband hassling me to go for a walk with the dog as we both have minging hangovers!(hubby's birthday yesterday)

Laters

The Queenster xxx
 
You've got that right Queenie I'm sure the hips, drugs, physicians, etc. in UK are the same as here in the US, so why do they cost so much. It's really out of control here.
 
When I read your posts from the US I am so grateful to our NHS.Just wondering how people who have no insurance manage if they need a hip replacement ?
 
I'm afraid that they probably manage with a cane, Kim22. If they are very low-income, there's a few programs they might be able to use. But would probably go without.

And these are often the same people screaming about how they don't want government in their life, taking money that would be wasted on entertainment and **** food. Then there's the very well to do who can afford health private health insurance, who also protest any program that looks like "socialism." It's tough for people with no insurance.
 
I'm so glad we have NHS..... or I'd be still broken, by the time I saved that kind of money. Wow. Our hospital even supplies special toilet seat and long handled helping equipment. Although at least in the US and private, you can decide when to get it.
 
Our health care costs are out of control. Those who don't have insurance or good insurance and have a medical emergency will lose what they have spent a lifetime to get. Our niece's husband just had a major heart attack. He spent 10 days in the hospital and now he's back in again I heard that they don't have health insurance, he worked for himself and is a fairly young guy, early forties. His bill will be in the 100's of thousand's.
Kim22 every state is different with what they offer for medical and food subsidies. It's income based. In the state I live in they are very generous. If people don't have medical insurance and they go to their local government office that deals with those programs usually they get help if their income guidelines fall into place.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom