Bilateral THR Smrt2run's new hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ zauberflöte He should be having fun, he sure deserves it! Besides, who wants to hang out with us biddies, anyhow? Except for us, that is! The biddies themselves LOL
 
biddies-R-us
[Bonesmart.org] Smrt2run's new hips.
 
Ah here I am. Yeah I'm not really sure where they days go considering each feels like it lasts 100 hours. I'm moving about pretty well. I did a lot today so I am feeling it in my hips. I took the car out (it will be six weeks tomorrow and I'm about to go crazy). I just drove to the mall and had some Starbucks and saw a few people I work with. I'm feeling pretty good though. I did start my chemo again, but it's mostly oral medication and I don't really notice any side effects. The problem is the steroids (which caused the hip problems) but I have a few more weeks off of them before my monthly dose. My next trip out with involve sushi though. That is something I miss a lot. Hope your all doing well.
 
Good for you smrt2run I took the car out for a run at three weeks. Considering you have 2 new hips, doubling the time seems about right. Do you still need to take the steroids? Is this part of your cancer treatment?I know too many questions. I had thyroid cancer 5 years ago and cancer is a b-otch. You are going through so much, a bit of normalcy like a trip to Starbucks is a good thing. Don't do too much, you may set your recovery back a bit. You have the fearlessness of your age which is a wonderful and fearful thing.
 
I watched an abnormal amount of shows on Bravo and TLC while recovering and I still don't know why. Fortunately this has passed.
 
designergirl I still need to take them I think 5 more rounds of 5 days a piece. So I'm coming to the end of it. For some reason the steroids are an important part of the treatment. So much so that they are routine despite the fact that my oncologist says they cause most young adults the need to get both hips replaced. She told me that it was more likely that I would have needed it than not. I guess the positives outweight the negative. I'm the kind of patient that does with they are told and doesn't ask too many questions. Just tell me what to do to get better I told her in the beginning. My boss had thyroid cancer she will be taking oral medication for the rest of her life as she had her thyroid removed. Is that the common treatment?
 
smrt2run, good to hear that you're out and about. I got hooked on Bravo shows like The Millionaire Matchmaker and HGTV shows like Love it or List It and The Unsellables. (Does anyone have trouble selling their house? I can help you stage it.). I had fantasies of reading lots of books and journals-- you should see the pile I brought home, but I watched garbage TV instead (and got hooked on chatting on Bone Smart). Back at work now, so less time. I'm glad you're doing well, and I hope the treatments aren't too onerous.
 
BarbaraR It's funny right, it's so much easier to loose yourself in really bad shows. The nurses at HSS used to laugh because I would be watching Jerry Springer and Maury like clockwork. I'd hate when the pt would come an in if they were on haha. I started like several books and got nowhere. I sat outside in the beautiful weather we had the past couple of days here and couldn't make it to chapter two in any of them. The treatments aren't too bad. I've adapted but the steroids do make me kind of moody. My family knows to stay away for those five days or i'll bite their heads off.
 
well smrt2run it's good to see you! Uncle Dr Phil was that really the best you could do? not even Jerry Springer? We don't hvae cable nor even digital, so I'm stuck with Netflix. May spring for hulu or amazon...
Starbucks is great, friends are better!
I'm sorry you have so much treatment still to go-- but you are strong and 'compliant" as they say of good patients-- you will finish with flying colors :)
 
well smrt2run it's good to see you! Uncle Dr Phil was that really the best you could do? not even Jerry Springer? We don't hvae cable nor even digital, so I'm stuck with Netflix. May spring for hulu or amazon... colors
Starbucks is great, friends are better!
I'm sorry you have so much treatment still to go-- but you are strong and 'compliant" as they say of good patients-- you will finish with flying colors :)
 
@smrt2run it is necessary for us to take thyroid hormone for the rest of our lives. The thyroid is removed and we have to swallow a highly radioactive dose of Iodine (about 100 millicuries). This kills the remaining thyroid tissue. It takes about a year for this to occur in a perfect situation. Sometimes another dose is needed. The treatment is very different from other cancers. I take a Synthroid (artificial thyroid hormone) tablet every night. Without this the body would, over a period of a few months cease to function. When everyone talks about their metabolism, they are talking about the effect that thyroid hormone has on every system of the body. Luckily I have only had to have one treatment, but I have to have frequent blood tests to check for reoccurance and annual whole body scans with tracer dosages of the radioactive iodine. Cancer is very complicated isn't it? Thank God there is treatment. You're on my prayer list.
 
zauberflöte I'm mixed about Netflix. I spend more time trying to find something to watch and even up watching nothing. I did really enjoy House of Cards (their original series with Kevin Spacey). I highly recommend it, if you haven't seen it. Maybe wait until your stuck home post-surgery.

designergirl It's absolutely crazy right? There is so much that just goes over my head. Thankfully there are people who are great at this kind of stuff. I honestly think that it's made me a better person. Certainly a more appreciate person to say the least. Cancer is just terrible and I fear that we ourselves are causing a lot of these things ourselves through pollution, poor diet and things like that.
 
smrt2run we probably have very different tastes in movies haha I have a queue as long as my arm! I will look up House of Cards...after I'm done with Dwnton Abbey, house of Elliott, everything Alfred Hitchcock ever did... LOL I think you are right about the cancer stuff too.... environmental causes are more and more common-- I hate that!!
 
zauberflöte Haha Ironically not really. I'm a huge Hitchcock fan. I just saw North by Northwest for the first time. My underrated favorite is Rope though. I took a few film courses in college where we saw that and Vertigo. The next movie in my queue is Hitchcock with Anthony Hopkins too.

I've also seen a decent amount of Downton Abbey haha
 
smrt2run Mr ZF and I have been watching Upstairs, Downstairs, we're in season 5 now. We watched the beginning of one episode of D'ton A and decided we couldn't watch them at the same time-- we are too hooked on the small cast and small house of U,D. So.....even tho everybody and his brother are watching the "new" one, we haven't seen any yet!!!! So behind the times we are.
You know WAY more about Hitchcock than me! I took a one semester "gimme" film class in school too, and all I remember is this horrible HORRIBLE old Japanese black-and-white where everybody in it committed hara kiri on cam. I had to leave. Sigh.
 
zauberflöte I had to watch that same Japanese film in class also. It was so depressing! They had us watch many foreign films that were considered on the cutting edge. I just could not get into some of then, especially the Japanese one.
 
heh designergirl that's the only one i DO remember, although I remember sitting in class being bored a few times.... I was having a hard time doing anything but music that semester LOL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom