Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Smrt2run's new hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
smrt2run Wow, for somebody who's going through what you're going through, you are extremely resilient and upbeat! I commend you very highly. I think of my 2 sons, who bracket you in age, and try to imagine how either of them would handle your life-- NOT SO WELL let me tell you :) :)
 
ByGosh go write a limerick for us-- one that starts "down", and we will bring it "up" :) make sure you let everybody know that's the purpose..... :) :) chris
 
zauberflöte You'd be surprised when you had no other choice perhaps. I used to almost faint at getting a blood test. Now I've been in remission for leukemia for almost 2 1/2 years. I'm just finishing up my maintenance therapy which ends in October. I do have a lot to be thankful for, starting my masters in Social Work in the fall...hoping to pass off some of the things I've learned so far. My goal is to help children and teens suffering with cancer. I hope it allows me a chance to "get" what they are feeling.
 
@ smrt2run I'm in Conn. and the weather is gorgeous. It's about time, isn't it?
There is nothing saying that you will need your knees done, too! I don't even think that dexa hits the knees like the hips, anyhow. So don't go there. You'll just drive yourself crazy for nothing. Let's live in the present and try not to get too down about what won't happen anyway. (I'm reminding myself too.)
 
smrt2run You've been in remission for 2 1/2 years? Congratulations! and you have a nice plan for the future. You'll be the BEST social worker because you've been there and you can relate. You've got a lot to look forward to! It's all gonna be good for you, I can feel it!
Now off to the social room like Chris zauberflöte says, to write a happy limerick! Here goes.....
 
smrt2run 2 and a half years-- wow! Congratulations! And social work-- I respect social workers and the like more than almost anybody. You will indeed be the best, having btdt. Getting what they are feeling will be a piece of cake for you. What's your undergrad field?
 
smrt2run That's interesting that you studied playwriting. You must have read quite a few plays, too. Any favorites?
How's your Easter day going? Things are pretty good here. I was on my feet too much, and my right leg is hurting now. That's what I get if I overdo it, especially walking around without my cane. It's better when I rest and ice.
Hope you're doing better! There's a "sad to happy" limerick we wrote yesterday. I think a pub is in there someplace...That's one way to brighten things up!
 
ByGosh I'm a huge Tennessee Williams fan. My Easter was good, stuffed of course (and never eating again until breakfast tomorrow haha). I am feeling a little better, thanks! Hopefully you're as stuffed as I am! Just used some heat because I did a lot today myself. Too much fun haha
 
smrt2run playwriting! How did that ever lead to social work? Just recently with the cancer? What the heck would you have done with a degree in playwriting? Ok, I know, write plays....get them staged,,,, get rich and famous...:wink:
Happy Easter to you too! :)
 
zauberflöte No ironically, pre-diagnosis I had wanted to do Social Work but everything got put on hold after I got sick. I had planned on commuting to school this semester but my hips had gotten so bad that I put it off ANOTHER semester to have the surgery.

My parents were great about letting me explore my creative side, cannot fault them for that. I almost wish they would have not been. Should have gotten a degree in something like psychology. Hope your Easter was great as well!
 
smrt2run Thanks! We did have a great Easter, and as I said in my limerick line, we did drive 200 miles-- every Sunday like clockwork. I left ALL the chocolate there, so i wouldn't have to tell myself that somebody had t eat it, may as well be me LOL
I have a cousin by marriage who is a playwright, fairly successful. But I think they live off her husband, who is a very successful lighting designer. She has a sister who is a social worker-- so, the two do go together :)
 
zauberflöte Oh that's awesome. I just went to my moms for dinner. I'm much more of a Christmas guy myself (which doesn't seem all that far off to be honest). I sometimes think about writing. It's what I hear first from people, how come you don't right about it. I don't think its possible until I put some distance between it, you know?
 
smrt2run We don't do big Easter dinner, because of it being Sunday and we always travel to "Granny's" for lunch on Sundays. Neither of my kids could be there, ah well. She is deep in dementia and frail to boot, so since we moved away in 2007 we've been bringing Christmas to her, and Thanksgiving as well! Talk about logistics haha.
Are you a "I have to write because I'm driven to" writer? (I'm that way about music) You could journal now, and write a children's book when you start knowing what it's like to work with them? i see you as a Patch Adams in the making -- srsly! :)
 
zauberflöte No I never felt the need to right. I do wish I had some musical talent in me. Do you play an instrument? I'd love to try and learn guitar. I'm the kind of guy that has so many interests and wants to try everything! I thought Patch Adams was so sad :boohoo:

The poor friend!
 
Josephine I was wondering if you had any idea about getting a tattoo in the future when I'm done with my chemotherapy treatments? Would it be the same idea as taking antibiotics pre-dental work? My blood counts would be normal after the medication would stopped. Do you have any ideas?
 
So long as the tattooist runs a clean establishment, sterile needles and all that. But that's just common sense, nothing to do with the implants!
 
So long as the tattooist runs a clean establishment, sterile needles and all that. But that's just common sense, nothing to do with the implants!

Oh absolutely. I would follow that regardless. Wasn't sure if there was a specific protocol like with dental work. Thanks!
 
smrt2run yup-- I'm a retired orchestral 2nd flute player! Loved my job till it became no fun any more when they offered a buyout for "old" people. Heh. 50 is apparently just as old as 80-- that was the age range!
You can learn guitar any time you want-- probably get free lessons on Youtube! I say go for it :)
Actually all I remember about Patch Adams is that he is/was a doctor who used humor in children's wards....that was what was thinking of.
So....whatcha gonna tattoo on you? Inquiring minds and all that. I'm with Jo-- make sure it's a truly reputable establishment! (older son got a tattoo at 18+oneday LOL.)
 
smrt2run How's it going? Am I missing something, or have you not posted lately? I also haven't been posting much, too. I hope all is well, and you're up and about, doing good. Let us know what's happening.
I've been more active in the past 2 weeks, and now have more pain. Must have done too much too soon. I hope that's all it is! I liked being able to do things, clean a little, run an errand, but don't want to become limited by pain.
Hopefully, it's a minor setback and I'll get over it.
Take care
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom