TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

Yes and this time you'll be ahead of me! My OS insisted on waiting 12 weeks between the two. This time I plan on coming home and skipping rehab. The dogs will stay home and I'll have the dog walkers come in 4 times a day while I'm in the hospital and then 2 - 3 times when I come home. I should be able to hand letting them out a couple of times.

Hope Dr. J. agrees to the Sept date.!
 
Woah!!!! September 3rd!! That's pretty soon - good for you, I understand totally why you'd do this after the smooth recovery you've had - go you!
 
@Slainte - wow.. I never really thought of doing my second knee in the same year. Makes a lot of sense in many ways.. Obviously, the insurance issue is big, but you can get a jump on having two fully functioning knees and move on to a better quality of life faster. Not sure what my OS would say about that.. Maybe I'll ask when I go to see him.. On the other hand, for me, I'm not sure I could get the short term disability salary coverage that soon.. That would be a major factor for me.. Guess I'll have to double check that as well. :)
 
I ended up only actually taking a week and a half off work this last time since my boss came to my house to work 2 or 3 days a week and blew up my phone constantly. She has already told me to expect the same the next time, so should not hit me too hard in the pocketbook. I am supposed to fly to Indianapolis in late October. Wonder if my OS will sign off on that? I would be almost 7 weeks out. Such a lot to think about.
 
Five weeks out today. My husband has some big deal closing on September 3, so asked me to postpone my LTKR a week. Happy to do so! He was not thrilled about my having surgery again so soon, and even had the nerve to say "I just went through all that!". He then looked sheepishly at me and said, "Well, you went through it too." Really?!

I am doing great. I take a couple of Tylenol PM to sleep at night, but that's it. I am going to try doing without them Friday and Saturday night. I want a few weeks med-free before I go under the knife again. Last night was the first night that I did not feel the burning of the thigh (IT band, I think?). That was wonderful!

Work is going well, although yesterday I was really tired at the end of the day for no apparent reason. I am not good about elevating at work any more - doesn't seem to make a difference. I took my cryocuff home last Friday, and have not iced since. I have begun walking up and down the 100 ft breezeway in front of my office door a few times a day. Want to work up to 3 miles a day total - not even to 2 miles a day yet. My knee is not perfect yet, I still have stiffness when I first stand up, and I have to stretch and get my muscles going over the first few steps. I can walk without a limp if I put my mind to it. I don't do any formal PT, just roll my chair forward at work until I feel a stretch, do squats and "bicycle" in the pool, and rest my foot up so that I get a stretch to my hamstring. Tomorrow morning I go for outpatient PT evaluation. I hope I will not be disappointed in my ROM. Have not tried stairs yet. I am ridiculously careful not to overdo, and have not yet earned membership in the ODIC. Hope to keep it that way!

Hope everyone's Thursday is going great!
 
@Slainte
You are doing amazingly well for so early in your recovery.
Don't increase the amount you walk too quickly - your goal there is a bit ambitious for so early in recovery.

Do remember that a lot of your body's energy is still being directed towards healing your knee, so you are inevitably going to feel drained after a day at work.

Just a little word of caution - no two knees are the same. Your second knee could very well do just as wonderfully as your first one. However, you might find that you don't have quite such an easy ride the second time around. Don't be disappointed if that happens.
 
Yes, I know how lucky I was with this knee. And I will take to heart your warning about trying to walk more. This morning I go for my outpatient PT evaluation, and I guess will be scheduled for a few sessions. I am really worried that an over zealous PT will set me back. I am very slowly regaining my stamina. In the past I have found that the more energy I expend, the more energy I have the next time. But I can see how that equation might not hold true when healing from such an intrusive surgery. Thanks for your kind words of caution. I promise I will take them to heart.
 
I am really worried that an over zealous PT will set me back
That is something you can control. If it seems excessive or aggressive, if you are asked to do too many reps, if it hurts, then say STOP. They have to stop, because if they carried on when you had withdrawn your permission (by saying Stop) they would be committing an assault on you.

Remember that the PT works for you, not the other way round. You don't have to please the PT. He/she has to please you.

You've done wonderfully well with your knee so far, so you must already be doing things right. Listen to your knee and do what you have to, to protect it. It's your knee and only you have the right to say what will happen with it.
 
Doubling down on Celle's comments. Slainte, don't let any PT or anyone else stomp your buzz. You're doing so beautifully--just keep following your own sense of things. With admiration--j
 
Each time I worked with a new PT person I had that fear. Luckily, each time, they demonstrated pretty quickly I had nothing to fear. If you're not as fortunate, make them stop. If they start to lay hands on you, ask them what they are doing and why as well as any follow up questions you have before allowing them to continue.

My PTs only touched me for massaging, and they all asked me to let them know if it hurt. The massaging hurt them more than it ever hurt me.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, if you are sick of hearing how well I am doing, avert your eyes. This definitely strays into the bragging area.

I went to my outpatient PT eval this morning, and my extension is 0 and my flexion is 124 passive. My PT easily pushed me to 130, with no strain. He said that is what they consider the limit for the implant, so once I can do that by myself, I am there! He told me that he could count on one hand the number of knee replacement clients that walked in the door with that ROM. I will be seeing him a couple of times a week to work on gait and he gave me some simple exercises to do at home. I did them with him and felt no strain. He said if I did 15 or so reps I would begin to feel it. So we shall see. And I am thrilled!

Had to juggle my second knee replacement with my OS's schedule, and it looks like my final decision is to have it done October 1st. I really wanted it earlier, but that is the first opening after September 3rd, so I will take it. I did discuss the wisdom of doing the second knee so soon with my PT, and he told me that in his experience, once a client regains activity after the first knee heals, the extra load expedites the deterioration of the second knee. So that made me feel like I am doing the right thing. He checked the ROM on my still-to-be-done left knee, and I am at 0 and 135.

I drank wine with dinner last night. Was so delicious, and then I remembered I couldn't take the Tylenol PM with alcohol in my system. So I drank a second glass of wine and slept pretty well. So am off all meds for the moment.

I know I am blessed. Thanks for all the information about doing less. I really think being a total slacker is what paid off. Josephine is a wise lady. It's Friday! And I am so happy. Love you all!
 
I agree with your PT. My right (non-TKR) leg is not able to keep up with my left (TKR) knee, and I'm feeling the strain. My right knee is far worse than yours sounds, but I'm not going to get into a mine's worse than yours argument, because I'm pretty certain x-rays will confirm they are both bad. I know I don't have that kind of ROM in either of mine. (Just a teensy bit jealous of that. Smile.)

I can't tell you how many times I'm thinking to myself I shouldn't wait until April and should do it as soon as possible in November when we return from my husband's big trip. (I am not fond of this trip, but he really needs me to drive it for him for safety's sake. He got me an electric scooter to try to make it easier for me -- well, I paid for it, so I guess I got one for me, but he encouraged me to get it, and we researched and picked it out together.)
 
@Slainte Way to go!!!!! Well that is awesome news and must be such a great feeling! Would have a glass of wine to toast you but big no no with the oxycodone so I'll toast you with my glass of ice water!!!! Have a great weekend!!
 
:wowspring::wowspring::wowspring:

Congratulations on your recovery. I will be having sequential TKR's as well. First one is scheduled for 9/15/15. I'm going to re-read your recovery thread. Have a great weekend!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom