TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

@Celle , yes ma'am. I am going to absolutely wrap myself in cotton and take it extremely easy. I think I have elevation sorted out, and will ice a lot. My printer is in the next room, so will have to get up every once in a while so that should keep the blood moving. I will have an RN working in the office (I work at a home health agency), and she will make sure I am doing all right. I was thinking about taking periodic strolls down a 100 ft. breezeway in front of my office door, but today am not even doing that. If I get tired, I will have my son take me home. But I must say I am really looking forward to getting back in the office! Thank you so much for your concern.
 
Best wishes to you, Slainte! I hope you enjoy being at work. Do you have a way to ice and elevate there?
 
Hope it goes really well. Post later if you can to update us.
 
Read through your recovery thread, it sounds like you are doing really well. Your recovery sounds almost like my first knee. I worked from home and went into the office on and off during my recovery. I went back full time at six weeks. Just go home when you get tired, I found the first two weeks were hard but then after that it got better. I retired by the time I did my second knee and was kind of glad, as this knee was not as easy as the first. It has been over two years for my first knee and it feels great, just waiting now for the second one to catch up. It is so totally worth it. Hope your day goes well for you. Looking forward to hearing how your OS visit went also.
 
Had my first post-op appointment with my OS this morning. They took x-rays and he showed me the "before" view of my poor knee. Was tilted, bone-on-bone toward the inner side. My kneecap had slid way over, and there was a huge bone spur. I jokingly said he could tell I wasn't faking the pain and he heartily agreed. My new knee is a thing of beauty. Perfectly straight, kneecap exactly centered. He suggested I see his partner who is a foot and ankle man about getting some othotics. I am pretty flat-footed, and my fused left ankle makes my left foot even more askew. I talked to him about my other knee. I have pretty good space in the joint, but my kneecap is horrible, just like its former mate. He said that he preferred to wait until my new knee fully blossoms, since I am really having no discomfort on my left side at present. So unless that changes, I think I will wait until the same time, next year for my left knee. He was happy with my extension and flexion, and wants me to get to 120. He said I should try to do it in the first four months. I did not explain to him that I can improve up to a year. :heehee:
He said I can swim :yes!:.

And gave me a return-to-work release.
I went into the office to find flowers, balloons, and a cake awaiting me. My co-workers are so sweet. I babied my knee all day, icing and elevating, and moving carefully and slowly. I was a little worried around 1pm, when I felt a little queasy, but soon ascribed that to the slice of cake I had. I have been so careful with my diet since the surgery that my body was in shock from that serving of sugar. That feeling passed quickly.
I had piles of work waiting for me, and I did not get it all done, but made great progress. Am now home icing and elevating. I don't see any swelling, but my knee was tighter getting in the car to come home, so I know some exists. My husband and son are heading off to the gym and when they get back we are all going swimming. My pool light was checked out and found not to be a death trap.

So a great first day back. We will see how I sleep tonight and feel in the morning. The only thing that hurts right now is my fused ankle - it has not gotten a workout in 3 1/2 weeks, and needs a good stretch. And I am not going to swim, really. Just float around draped over my noodle. Life is good!
 
Wow!! So glad for you! Sounds as though it was a fantastic first day back!! You are always so cheerful and optimistic and certainly as to why this went so well!! Carry on!
 
That's amazing! And I thought going back to work (not a desk job) at 12 weeks three weeks ago was hard.

Don't over do. :)
 
Go, Slainte. What a positive doc visit and also return to work--and it sounds like you have coworkers who care about and value you. That is great. The trajectory is headed toward better and better. You might feel tired on this or that day, or have knee soreness here and there--don't let it get you down. You're so obviously going in the right direction. Congrats, and have a lovely swim. :-)
 
Scroll up a bit and you'll see, @celynda . Since then have floated in the pool watching the bats fly around gobbling up mosquitoes. Lots of rain has brought about a hatching! Now comfy in bed with pain meds kicking in. So nice.

Did you get your dogs? I'll have to check your thread.
 
Great update, you're doing so well. Mosquitoes - aargh - they love to feast on me :yikes:
 
Wow! Supper day for you! Hope you were able to catch some sleep after a busy day
 
Not a bad idea to investigate orthotics once your knee is a bit more healed. I know I've found them helpful.
 
Orthotics have been wonderful for me. I had to remove my left orthotic the first time I put shoes on after my TKR. It felt too weird. I need to get a new one. I'm going to try to hold out until after my right TKR and get a new set at the same time.
 
I bought two pairs of Vionic sandals. They have a built in orthodic. It took me two weeks of just wearing in short spurts for my knee to become comfortable and not ache. They totally straighten your foot which messes with the knee. I'm good now though, but will need to get an orthodic for my tennis shoes.
 
@Slainte - So glad you had a great day back at work! I am so impressed with your progress (and bravery!!). And glad you were able to enjoy your pool with bat entertainment to boot!!! ... I can't remember.. are you still using a cane??

Hope your coming days go as smoothly!! We are all pulling for you! It's kind of like you graduated, now that your are back at work. :yes!: Congratulations!! I know my day will come.. just not sure when, but probably faster than I think. You are an inspiration!
 
Thank you all. I am still using a cane, but am real bad about leaving it hanging on a counter or leaning against a wall. I try really hard to use it all the time, in keeping my my "less is more" philosophy. I want to support my knee as much as possible. I am being so careful. I have come so far and do not want any setbacks. I wore my smart watch today. It tells me I walked 1290 steps or .58 miles today. That would ordinarily be sad, but that is exactly what I want. A slow start and small but steady progress.

I did get tired today at work. I interviewed, hired, and oriented two new caregivers. And I found my desk under all the piles of papers and made sense of things. At lunchtime I closed my office door, propped both legs up on my comfy pillow, and leaned back and closed my eyes for 15 minutes. Was wonderful. Then had a cup of tea and was able to get through the rest of the day. Came home to find my sister is back to visit! This means my house is clean and dinner is ready. My husband and I love it when my sister comes. She is a dynamo. She will be here through Saturday, unless I can find a way to disable her car.

Went for a short swim. Did slow bicycle movements and just gently stretched. I hope sleep will get easier. My smart watch says I was "motionless" for 5 hrs and 50 minutes last night. But I repositioned and checked the time at least every hour. The nights are long. Maybe I will try and find some benadryl tomorrow. I understand that has worked for some. Upward and onward, fellow bonesmarties!
 
Tylenol PM along with my pain meds helped me sleep. It is vital when you are getting up and going somewhere, especially work. Are you icing while working? Being a teacher, I was up and down a lot, but had ice packs for my drive back and forth.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom