TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

Your PT is absolutely right about the other knee deteriorating after them first one heals. When l had my left tie in 2013, I was surprised when the nurses said 'see you soon for your other knee to be done', admittedly it had been playing up after I fell downstairs and had an undiagnosed patella fracture for a couple of years, but no way did l think I'd that knee replaced. I'd never had an op on it or trouble before my fall. My OS confirmed deterioration was due to supporting the other knee for so many years!
 
Well, the oddest thing happened. Apparently at some point in the last week I really put some stress on my left toes and ended up with a blood blister under my big toe. This is my non-surgery side, and I guess I put too much weight on it. It ballooned up to an impressive degree and I went to visit my podiatrist today, as I could just imagine a broken blister in my future with infection around the corner. He punctured, cleaned, and bandaged me up. I am supposed to change the dressing three times a day and take Augmentin three times a day. I am to stay off my feet and see him in a week. So I cancelled PT, and I guess I will be sitting around a lot. Sure hope it heals up well. Infection is my big fear.
 
Glad you got it checked out. Follow the doctor's orders and I'm sure you'll be fine. Hopefully you haven't read all the books or watched all the movies yet you had queued up for your recovery.. If you have, guess you'll need to find some more... I know this great website called Amazon.com and they deliver! :rotfl:

Hope you feel OK!!! :friends:
 
Hope it heals quickly. Try not to worry, hard though that is.
 
Not looking any worse.:) He really dug deep, so will take a while to heal. I am being good and staying off my feet. Just watched a show on drama fever. Might watch another. More boring to be sedentary when one is not taking pain meds!
 
Six weeks out today. Am over having to baby my left big toe. Walking on the heel of my fused left foot and then putting most of my weight on my new right knee is not a graceful sight. Poultry in motion is what it is.

The 500 mg of Augmentin is killing my appetite, which has its benefits. Down 17 pounds today since my surgery. Second knee scheduled 6 weeks from today, so hope toe all healed and a couple of more pounds shed by then.

Enough with the whining. My knee is fantastic and more than able to be leaned on, it seems. And the weekend is almost here! So now, off to work. See ya'll later.
 
Is the Augmentin doing a job on your stomach? As soon as I started on antibiotics I began taking a probiotic. It had helped tremendously! Not only have I stayed healthy (despite coughing & sneezing students), but it helped my stomach handle the effects of doxycycline.
If it's not one thing it's another. I can walk on my TKR just fine, but my right heel, not so much!
 
IMHO, walking gracefully is over-rated. Hope the blister heals soon. I think your 2nd and mine are the same week (Mine is the 14th) so we'll be surgery buddies!
 
Hi, @Slainte. Sorry to hear about that toe. We should all be given a pass on other complications while recovering from TKR, but that's not how the world works. You continue to impress and inspire the rest of us. Thank you and hoping you are having a peaceful weekend.
 
Aw, thanks. I am having a boring weekend. I showed my husband my toe this morning - he said I should have showed it to him sooner, he would have been more sympathetic! My podiatrist really cut away a lot of callus that was around the blood blister and it has a lot of healing to do. I am supposed to stay off my feet, so have spent the day lounging around watching korean dramas. My small world just got a lot smaller. Less than six weeks to go until my LTKR, so am trying to be the perfect patient. My new knee is being a star, though. So I should not whine!
 
Saw my podiatrist today and he is very happy my toe is healing well. Gave me another week of Augmentin, still have to stay off it, still have to change the dressing 3 times a day. BUT he said it should be all healed up when I see him next Tuesday. Thank goodness! I walked into the store to pick up my prescription, and pushed a shopping cart slowly around the perimeter in my poultry-like fashion. My knee didn't seem any the worse for my as-nonmobile-as-possible past week. We will see how it is doing at the end of this week.

Things that I don't like: difficulty sleeping, twinges from IT band, new knee feeling like it is buckling once in a great while.

Things I like: no pain whatsoever in knee, have never felt like my knee is hot or felt the tight band I hear others mention. I also like working. I absolutely forget about my knee at work. No longer icing or elevating. And then I stand up and the little man inside my knee says " Whoa-kay! We are standing up!" And I grab the front of my desk and stretch both legs. Then I mince around my desk holding on... and then I am fine. And the little man is happy because I have remembered who's the boss. So far he is a benevolent dictator.

I am ambivalent about swelling. My knee was swollen for so long just from deterioration that it looks pretty good to me now. Until I compare it with my other knee. So I try not to do that.

LTKR scheduled for 5 weeks from Thursday. Hope I am able to get moving a bit more before then.
 
Back
Top Bottom