TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

Aw, sorry I posted as you were writing that you're feeling lousy. Josephine is the true expert of course, but as crappy as it sounds like you are doing, you have plenty of time to recup from this before October, and it doesn't sound likely to affect your right knee. I don't mean to stick my nose in, just wanted to offer some possibly comforting perspective. Hoping you feel better soon!
 
No, please stick your nose in. Especially if you are saying what I want to hear! I just got off of 2 weeks of antibiotics for my toe on Saturday. Really hope to not have to go right back on them!
 
Sounds like things are great except for that nasty cold. Get better soon!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Eurgh, sorry to hear about the cold. Other than that, sounds like you are doing really well. Hope the cold clears up really quickly.
 
I would hope that a cold wouldn't have any negative on the new knee - and it seems certainly there is time to recover before the new knee. I do hope you feel better though, no fun feeling lousy, that is for sure!! :friends:
 
It won't and colds and sniffles are generally viral anyway. It will be cleared up long before your next surgery.
 
Thank you so much for the reassurance, Josephine! You are right about this being viral. My daughter came down with it yesterday and my husband won't come near me with a ten foot pole! Sore throat is gone, major sniffles remain. Going to use the holiday weekend to start getting my refuge ready for my Oct. 1 LTKR. For our non United States members, Monday is Labor Day, a federal holiday celebrating the American worker. Since I am one, yay me!
 
I felt really good when I got up this morning. I walked into the kitchen and saw how grimy it has become. I rolled up my sleeves and went to work on it. Did a pretty good job, and then my husband comes in and says we should go out in the world. So after a shower we go visit his mother, check out the current offerings at the Goodwill, do some grocery shopping and stop by a pool supply store for some chemicals. I was pretty tired when we got home, but after a short break I made some iced pumpkin cookies I had promised my kids, and cooked an early dinner. I could hardly finish! I was so beat that I didn't even want dinner. I didn't even want a cookie! That is seriously tired. So I have been lying down in bed for the last three hours and finally feel ok. I am thankful for this forum, because I know I am normal. So frustrating to not be able to do all the things I want to, but the knee definitely has an opinion and is not to be denied. Think I will venture out to the kitchen and see if there's a cookie left...
 
My gosh girl are you complaining that that is all you could do in one day?!!! Sounds like Superwoman to me!:yay: I am weeks ahead of you and am good for at most 3 hours at a time before I need a break.
 
Your recovery time is doing well for all that activity. Good job. Maybe a little too ambitious, but it sounds like you were ready.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hope the kids saved you a cookie!

I'm a week behind you, and got tuckered out just reading about everything you did. I could see myself doing the cleaning and cooking or the shopping and errands, but probably not both. I was out of the house from about 9:3- in the morning to 5:30 in the late afternoon, with plenty of rests during the day, and I have absolutely no energy left for anything.

Want to co-found a We Want To Hurry Up And Get Back To Life As We Once Knew It club?

I hope you're able to channel your energy this month into 1) taking care of Slainte, 2) creating a safe and comfortable nest for recovery for October and November, 3) earning a few bucks, and 4) enjoying time with your family and friends -- interspersed with lots of rest and relaxation.

Rest and relaxation are important, dear friend. No getting run down by running around, deal? No more colds allowed, OK? PS, FWIW, I'm with Josephine on not using antibiotics on viruses. They won't have any effect on the course of the virus, and the more we use antibiotics for minor or inappropriate things, the more we kill off minor bugs and create superSUPERSUPER bugs that will be resistant to anything we have to fight them. Stay healthy, and have fun.
 
And you told me that I did a lot with my 3 hour shopping trip!!!! I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate an iced pumpkin cookie right now..... I adore Fall flavours. I hope your family left you one and that you feel ok today.
 
@Slainte - You've been so active, and I hope that there were a few of your iced pumpkin cookies left for you to enjoy!

I remember that you posted that you'd planned a trip to Sarasota later this month. Maybe you, @Pescara and I could tentatively plan to meet for a TKR survivor celebration lunch in SRQ during your visit. I used the "tentatively" word because we know it's not our circus and not our monkeys, and that without any advance warning a part of our bodies could act up. Our bodies are ruling our daily lives and plans these days, not the other way around.
 
Well Jo, all this talk of pumpkin has me craving pumpkin crumb cake. I'm off to find pumpkin pie filling.
 
@Widget1 , I've been backing and forthing on that trip, wondering if I might not just end up lying around on a hotel bed missing the comforts of home. The weekend I wanted to go was all booked up, and the next weekend is the weekend before my LTKR. I just got invited to a wedding on Anna Maria Island November 29, at which time I will be exactly as far out from having my LTKR as I am today from having my RTKR. I think I am just going to wait. But I think your idea is nifty. Would be fun to meet.

And I am NOT so active. I am an absolute sloth and it is making me crazy. But I look not so far back and I see progress. We will make it! Maybe we can meet later.
 
@Slainte,

I understand completely! You are NOT a sloth - just re-read what you wrote about your activities this weekend!

My TKR was six weeks before yours and I'm still in pain daily. It is a long recovery process, but every time I start feeling discouraged all I have to do is remember that I can walk now and the bone-on-bone torture is gone. I just hope that I'll have more strength so that I can have my own holiday boutique at the City of Tampa winter village (Thanksgiving weekend and the three weekends following that). Most of my time now is spent making items so I can beef up my inventory for that month.
 
9 weeks out today. I tried the Tylenol PM for the second night in a row last night, and it worked! I slept so well. Good day at work today, and am now at my hair salon for a much needed touchup. Bought some granny smith apples yesterday and am planning on baking an apple cake when I get home. I feel so good that it is scary. Sniffles gone, and brain fog lifted now that I don't need percocet to sleep. I am not going to overdo it! So tempting to go for a walk or do something extra. But I have read enough threads to know that when you feel really good, that is when you have to reel yourself in. Other knee scheduled three weeks from today. Going to savor these three weeks.
 
@Slainte - Excellent update! I've been wondering if I should try the Tylenol PM.. My acetaminophen and naproxen don't seem to be doing ANYTHING for me.. I'm not taking them much anymore.. My knee feels the same with or without them, it seems. I don't have any problem going to sleep at night, but I wake up because my knee has a hard time getting comfortable. I'm wondering if the Tylenol PM will make my knee play more nicely at night?? :shrug:
 
Go, Slainte. That is so fabulous. You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing uplifting status report!

@Braunzie, I agree about pain meds--I am taking tramadol but it doesn't seem to do much--and like you, hard to get comfy. Blah!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom