Guest viewing is limited

TKR ski_bum's Recovery Thread

I've moved your post from Mary14's recovery thread to your own recovery thread. We can't have people talking about their recovery on another person's thread because that takes the focus off their recovery. Each person has their own recovery thread,
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

So please post any updates or questions about your recovery in this, your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?
 
I'm not sure if I have missed information about having Dental work, check up & cleaning after having Knee replacement.
But yesterday I went to Dentist for 6 month check up & cleaning.
Dentist asked if I had started my Amoxicillin Trihydrate.

When I said no, did not know. He panicked and sent a Prescription for Amoxi 500mg.
Take 4 Capsules one hour prior to Dental work.

Anyone have information?

Forgot to mention I have 2 Dental Implants
 
Last edited:
Taking anti-biotics before dental work is pretty old school and most Docs no longer prescribe them.
 
Both my OS & primary care physician say that pre-medicating for dental work is not necessary, citing how much ordinary flossing introduces bacteria. They said if my dentist insists, then the dentist would have to prescribe. I had routine dental procedures, plus sinus lift and 2 dental implants starting 9 months after hip replacement and it was all good. My dentist also agreed that I did not need to pre-medicate. But your practitioner's recommendations may differ.
 
Last edited:
My dentist said it was old school, and antibiotics no longer needed.They did contact my OS, prior to dental work 2 weeks ago.I now take an antibiotic pre-med I hour prior to all dental work.
Until June 2022.
 
Some dentists require it prior to any dental visit, some don't. Usually if the dentist requires it they provide the prescription. Some surgeons recommend an antibiotic prior to dental work, or anything where you would bleed. They each have their own reasons.

As for my dentist she insists on a antibiotic - if your not willing to follow her rules she simply won't see you, period. My surgeon insists on an antibiotic pre any procedure(s). Does it bother me, no. I know their rules and follow them.

The best way to know is to ask questions prior to surgery so you'll know what is or is not expected antibiotic wise.
 
@ski_bum I moved your question about dental antibiotics and all the responses, to your thread so as not to take the other thread off the focus of that member’s recovery. Please ask all your questions about your recovery in your thread.

As you can see, this topic is a matter of opinion between medical professionals. I did not want to take an unnecessary antibiotic, and I especially didn’t want to take what I personally consider an “overdose” (since I’ve had bad responses to antibiotics in the past) so I searched for a dentist who didn’t require them. I don’t take them and I’ve been fine.

My surgeon never mentioned this issue to me, but while reading my office notes months later, I did read that he put in the notes that I should take the antibiotic for the first year. I’m way past that now anyway.
 
My surgeon had my pre med for the first 2 years. So happy to avoid that now!
 
@ski_bum I moved your question about dental antibiotics and all the responses, to your thread so as not to take the other thread off the focus of that member’s recovery. Please ask all your questions about your recovery in your thread.

As you can see, this topic is a matter of opinion between medical professionals. I did not want to take an unnecessary antibiotic, and I especially didn’t want to take what I personally consider an “overdose” (since I’ve had bad responses to antibiotics in the past) so I searched for a dentist who didn’t require them. I don’t take them and I’ve been fine.

My surgeon never mentioned this issue to me, but while reading my office notes months later, I did read that he put in the notes that I should take the antibiotic for the first year. I’m way past that now anyway.
The booklet I received from Interior Health " Before, During & After Knee Joint Replacement Surgery" states antibiotics required during Dental Worker. I have 2 teeth implants but this visit was a 6 month check up & cleaning. Have plans for another tooth implant and second knee replacement. Thank you for moving my question. I am
not the sharpest knife in the drawer so will ask my wife to help.
 
No problem moving a post. :flwrysmile:

It’s just that sometimes when a member asks a question about their own recovery on another member’s post, it can get way off topic from what the original member was discussing, and we try not to let that happen.
 
My dentist does not require pre-meds but my orthopedist insists. Also, I had a new implant and the surgeon would not even schedule my TKR until he got confirmation notes from both my dentist and my prosthodontist that I was free from infection. My surgeon is ultra cautious, in general (at least from what I've read here).
 
ski_bum, can you tell me why you are hesitant about getting the 2nd knee replaced?
I saw where you were having you second knee done 6 or 8 weeks a part.
My surgeon wanted to wait 6 Months so I told him about you so he said 4 Months.

I downhill ski over a 100 days a season and I'm concerned waiting till late Sept. or Oct. I won't be able to ski. We have a Condo on the ski hill and can't see me in the Condo icing my knees while my beautiful wife is out skiing.
As it is skiing will be different this coming season.
I ski with many guys that have had knees replaced, some skied in 6 months, others 1 year.
Thanks for asking.
It took me more than a year before I could ski again. I got a LTKR in Sept of 2018, and skipped the following season, but did some snowshoeing. I had trouble with sideways forces causing pain, so skiing took longer to get back to than my other recreations (rock climbing, hiking, mountain biking).
 
Taking anti-biotics before dental work is pretty old school and most Docs no longer prescribe them.
My surgeon does. I am okay with it!
 
I am due for a cleaning appointment and dental office told me to contact surgeon first, for him to write first script. And it turns out he wants antibiotics but doesn’t want me to go to dentist until 6 months after surgery
 
Taking anti-biotics before dental work is pretty old school and most Docs no longer prescribe them.
My surgeon does. I am okay with it!
My ankle surgeon required them, my hip and knee OS didn't. :tada: Because my ankle was done first and the prescription was shared with my dentist she required them before treatment. Now that I have moved I need to take a harder look at the studies and make a decision for myself whether to continue taking them or not.
 
My surgeon prescribes antibiotics but that may be due to other medical conditions rather than just as a routine matter.
 
My near 6 month update, I remembered how to downhill ski.
The Ski hill opened, took 4 runs and in for Hot Tub. Snow condition are not very good due to warm temperatures and lack of the white stuff.
Wore a Hinged Brace, Problem, the hinge rubbed 0n Tendon/Muscle on side of knee.
Some pain from knee up the Quad to the Butt, only when I unloaded pressure on Surgery knee / ski.
Weighting my surgery knee ski in a turn, no pain.
In condo, removed ski clothes and straight to the Hot Tub.
Did some stretchers while in Hot Tub and feel 100%.
Will wait for fresh snow.
 
Last edited:
Good first attempt back skiing! :snow:
 
I am confused about ICING!
I’m sorry I’m just getting back to your question from last night!

Icing is very good in the beginning, to help relieve both swelling and pain. Post surgery swelling is different from the swelling you get from an injury. Icing a long time is fine for post op swelling as long as you have a cloth between your skin and the cold source.

I iced for about 6 months (though I admit I never liked it) But I had so much tightness in my surgical leg that I assumed was swelling. I finally stopped icing as it actually became painful, at about 6 months.

If it makes you feel better, do it. if it doesn’t make a difference, then stop, if you want to. Vary time lengths to see what works best for you.

There is so much conflicting advice about this recovery, which is why we say:

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom