TKR ski_bum's Recovery Thread

June 10, 2021 I had TRK with non cemented Triathlon knee replacement.
First 2 months were perfect, no pain, no drugs, full 130 ROM, was ready for left knee surgery.
Then while walking I developed a pain under knee cap, then pain on side of knee up leg into my butt.
PT diagnosed as IT Band, gave me exercises and purchased a special roller.
Pain reduced 90% to the butt, then occasional pain from knee (IT Band) down to my Ankle.
Visit with Surgeon Feb. 15th 2022 with X-rays.
Surgeon showed me X-rays where a fine line in upper socket, explained bone has not grown into joint.
He suggest to do a REVISION cementing a new upper joint & replacing spacer.
I said, NO, NO!
I am not having much clicking or unusual knee movement.
Having pain in knee when exercise for more than 90 ROM, except in the Hot Tub.
I am downhill skiing most days for 2 hours and that is not causing pain.
Any help is appreciated.

Surgeon showed me X-rays where a fine line in upper socket, explained bone has not grown into joint.
He suggest to do a REVISION cementing a new upper joint & replacing spacer.
I said, NO, NO!
I’m not sure what I would do in this circumstance. You are still in your first year post op, so I would think there will still be more healing. I agree, if my surgeon had suggested more surgery in my first year, I would have responded like you did.

By the way, I moved your recent post in someone else’s pre op thread to your recovery thread, so we could discuss it here rather than there. Please try to remember to ask questions about your situation here.

I think I do understand why you posted on the other thread, are you wondering if a different surgeon should look at your case? Often, unless something really bad goes wrong, it’s hard to get a second opinion before a year is up, because many times, more healing can fix the issue. I’m not sure if more healing will fix this issue for you, but it might.

Help Please.
I'm trying to revise and update my profile.
I have tried everything.
Thanks in advance

Help Please.
I'm trying to revise and update my profile.
I have tried everything.
Thanks in advance
What are you trying to change?

@Jockette
I want to add my surgery date for my TKL, plus 2 Arthroscopes.
Thank you

Your TKR surgery date is already in your signature, can you not see it?

I can add those other dates for you, if you want me to, just tell me what they are.

@Jockette
Yes I see my TKR June 10 2021.
Wanted to add my new surgery on my Left Knee March 31 2022 TKL.

Dec. 15 2017 Arthroscope KR
May 28 2018 Arthroscope KL

Thank you

Last edited:
@ski_bum
I added those to your signature, thanks for letting us know, we like to have your knee’s whole history.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!

You’re welcome! Any time you need help with something, just ask. :flwrysmile:

@Jockette I hope I am in the right place this time.

I had my TLK Morning of March 31, 2022. I had thought the Anesthesiologist with my June 10th 2021 TRK replacement had told me she did not give me nerve block because of a enlarged Prostate so I insisted I did not want nerve block March 31, 2022.

Wow! When the freezing started out of my surgery knee, the pain came on gang busters.

Yes I could lift my surgery leg without help until the pain was not bearable.

Came home from the Hospital next morning.

Last surgery I did not have the black button. The nurses gave me meds and told me to push the black button if I was having pain. Anesthesiologist came into the room and said he was taking the Black button away.

Breakfast arrived, 2 bites of toast and up chucked. PT came for a short walk, upchucked, loaded in a stretcher for X-Rays and up chucked. I manage to catch it all in several urine bottles. They said it was from all the drugs in my stomach.

Got home, set up Ice machine and it did not work, and pad leaked. Knew better and should have checked prior. Borrowed a friends machine and it does not work either. So back to ice packs for now.

Pain is terrible, 2 Tylenol 3 every 4 hours.

Leg & Knee is really swollen and that could be from all the hammering, drilling and cutting bone.

Again I watch the full surgery and this knee different from my right knee. Surgeon had to change Type of part used on my Femur due to spacing. That meant more bone cutting. Lots of comments from the staff but Anesthesiologist did not say this time I could not take the bones home to my dog, lol.

Yes, you posted in the right place!

Wow, I’m sorry you’ve gotten off to such a bad start. If pain control does not get better, call your surgeon and let him/her know. Is Tylenol 3 all you’re taking? Keep icing as much as you want, always making sure to have a cloth between your skin and the cold source. Be very gentle with your movements, just very gentle bends to give your knee mobility. Walking back and forth to the bathroom does count as PT! I hope things settle down for you soon.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Aww, @ski_bum I am sorry to see your update about pain. Then the issues with the ice machines sounds frustrating. Hang in there and I agree with @Jockette that maybe you should check in with your surgeon in regards to the high pain levels you are struggling with.
I hope you are able to sleep some toniight. :console2:

Yes, you posted in the right place!

Wow, I’m sorry you’ve gotten off to such a bad start. If pain control does not get better, call your surgeon and let him/her know. Is Tylenol 3 all you’re taking? Keep icing as much as you want, always making sure to have a cloth between your skin and the cold source. Be very gentle with your movements, just very gentle bends to give your knee mobility. Walking back and forth to the bathroom does count as PT! I hope things settle down for you soon.
Yes Tylenol 3 is the only pain medicine I was given. Same as June 10, 2021.
I watched both Surgeries and Hammering, Banging, sawing, trimming & no nerve block could explain the difference.
Pain is a little better, swelling in thigh is down but the knee is Puffy.
I have been Icing steady. even during the night
Will contact Surgeon on Monday.
Thanks for the help.

Having the visual must be a cold reality to why you are feeling such discomfort, yet also comforting to know first hand why the pain is more this time.
Thank goodness that ice can be plentiful and used almost constantly!

I don't know if I could watch my surgery either. I remember watching one after my first TKR and was glad I didn't watch it prior. The memory of that faded over the years and there was no way I was going to watch it again this time! Maybe I will again some day.

Hang in there, @ski_bum and keep us posted on your recovery. :flwrysmile:

@ski_bum Man, my heart sure goes out to you! Can you take Ibuprofen? I normally can’t take it but my sister in law told me about a new combo drug that has Ibuprofen and Pepcid for your stomach and I can actually take it. You could alternate your Tylenol 3’s with the Ibuprofen.
I watched lots of surgeries in nursing school but I could not watch my own knee replacement. The noise of the drill and hammer would really bother me.
I did watch my own colonoscopy because they didn’t give me enough sedation.

I will sure be praying for you my friend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks