Guest viewing is limited

TKR ski_bum's Recovery Thread

@ski_bum Man, my heart sure goes out to you! Can you take Ibuprofen? I normally can’t take it but my sister in law told me about a new combo drug that has Ibuprofen and Pepcid for your stomach and I can actually take it. You could alternate your Tylenol 3’s with the Ibuprofen.
I watched lots of surgeries in nursing school but I could not watch my own knee replacement. The noise of the drill and hammer would really bother me.
I did watch my own colonoscopy because they didn’t give me enough sedation.

I will sure be praying for you my friend!
Thank you for your Prayers. Yes, I can take Ibuprofen but usually when I take Tylenol Anthric which I will switch to.
I talked to the Surgeons office this morning, mention swelling is not going down, while I have been Icing steady & Elevating. She suggested I go to emergency.
This surgery made my last look like a cake walk,lol. Thanks again.
 
Last edited:
You are less than a week out of surgery, your swelling is not going to go down much in that short a time. Try to be patient.

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.
 
@ski_bum Funny you said that about your surgery. I thought when I had my L PKR in 2016 that it was a long and painful recovery but this R TKR has been way more of a challenge in many ways. I do believe that I will have a complete healing and you will too in time.
 
It seems that excessive pain and swelling go together. If you can manage to calm down one, the other will follow.
Are you icing for at least 40 minutes at a time? Many times a day.
I literally lived with my ice packs on, with a nice flannel sheet in between my skin and the ice.
I don't understand why your OS isn't offering you additional medication to go with the Tylenol 3? I was offered a cocktail of sorts and boy did it help.
When in that amount of pain, you aren't able to walk like you should, or even sleep.

I will leave you something to help the swelling, please give it a try, it can be very effective in easing some of the edema.

****
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.
****
 
You are less than a week out of surgery, your swelling is not going to go down much in that short a time. Try to be patient.

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.
Thank you, I am taking 2 300mg Tylenol 3, 6 times a day (4 hours). I am keeping right on scheduled and seems I wake 2 minutes prior to time.
 
It seems that excessive pain and swelling go together. If you can manage to calm down one, the other will follow.
Are you icing for at least 40 minutes at a time? Many times a day.
I literally lived with my ice packs on, with a nice flannel sheet in between my skin and the ice.

Thank You. I am Icing constantly, pain is reducing but swelling is the same.
 
I am Icing constantly, pain is reducing but swelling is the same.
Are you also elevating with your toes above your nose? Elevating will help to flush out that fluid. I iced and elevated almost constantly the first couple of months out. I found it quite helpful.
 
I am Icing constantly, pain is reducing but swelling is the same.
Are you also elevating with your toes above your nose? Elevating will help to flush out that fluid. I iced and elevated almost constantly the first couple of months out. I found it quite helpful.
Yes, Icing and elevating 20 hours out of 24. This is my second knee and spent the last 9 months on my back with feet in the air, twitching constantly, lol. Can't watch TV sitting up.
 
Last edited:
@ski_bum I forget what MLD stands for, maybe Manual Lymphatic Drainage, but crickethip describes the treatment below, which you can do yourself.

It seems that excessive pain and swelling go together. If you can manage to calm down one, the other will follow.
Are you icing for at least 40 minutes at a time? Many times a day.
I literally lived with my ice packs on, with a nice flannel sheet in between my skin and the ice.
I don't understand why your OS isn't offering you additional medication to go with the Tylenol 3? I was offered a cocktail of sorts and boy did it help.
When in that amount of pain, you aren't able to walk like you should, or even sleep.

I will leave you something to help the swelling, please give it a try, it can be very effective in easing some of the edema.

****
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.
****
 
@ski_bum I forget what MLD stands for, maybe Manual Lymphatic Drainage, but crickethip describes the treatment below, which you can do yourself.

It seems that excessive pain and swelling go together. If you can manage to calm down one, the other will follow.
Are you icing for at least 40 minutes at a time? Many times a day.
I literally lived with my ice packs on, with a nice flannel sheet in between my skin and the ice.
I don't understand why your OS isn't offering you additional medication to go with the Tylenol 3? I was offered a cocktail of sorts and boy did it help.
When in that amount of pain, you aren't able to walk like you should, or even sleep.

I will leave you something to help the swelling, please give it a try, it can be very effective in easing some of the edema.

****
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.
****
I googled MLD and there are many different things it refers to but yours makes more sense. Another is "Minimum Lethal Dose"
 
No, I don’t think that’s the one you want! :yikes:
 
@ski_bum I forget what MLD stands for, maybe Manual Lymphatic Drainage, but crickethip describes the treatment below, which you can do yourself.

It seems that excessive pain and swelling go together. If you can manage to calm down one, the other will follow.
Are you icing for at least 40 minutes at a time? Many times a day.
I literally lived with my ice packs on, with a nice flannel sheet in between my skin and the ice.
I don't understand why your OS isn't offering you additional medication to go with the Tylenol 3? I was offered a cocktail of sorts and boy did it help.
When in that amount of pain, you aren't able to walk like you should, or even sleep.

I will leave you something to help the swelling, please give it a try, it can be very effective in easing some of the edema.

****
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.
****
I googled MLD and there are many different things it refers to but yours makes more sense. Another is "Minimum Lethal Dose"
@CricketHip I am sorry, you provided what MLD meant but I did not click to expand. Thankyou & Jockett: for pointing that out. I will get my beautiful wife to help. 7 days and time for bandage change. It is swollen.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] ski_bum's Recovery Thread
    Left knee 7 days Bandage change.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 126
Oh my, that’s a sad looking knee. Take good care of it, just do gentle movements.

I hope your wife is taking as good care of you as my husband took care of me! He was awesome! :roseshwr: He passed away almost 2 years ago. I can’t imagine having any future surgery without him, especially a joint replacement.
 
I don't understand why your OS isn't offering you additional medication to go with the Tylenol 3?
I agree with this. It doesn't sound like you are getting the pain relief you need at this stage. After I stopped taking oxy, my doctor prescribed Ibuprofen and Tylenol around the clock, alternating every 3 hours. (Tylenol at noon, Ibuprofen at 3, Tylenol at 6, etc). Call your doctor and see if he/she can suggest something like that. You can't heal if your pain isn't under control...... :nah:
 
I'm not sure this is where I should be posting. If so please give me a gold start.

Does any have pain in the knees when a weather change is coming?

This morning the rain came and both my new knees were a #8 on the pain scale until I got into the hot tub.

My Father used to always tell us when it was going to rain. Hope that's not me now!
 
Hello @ski_bum
Please notice that I moved the above question from another members thread to your thread. It’s best to have your recovery information contained in one place making it easier for you to reflect back on. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Interestingly enough, I did do a little research on this very topic awhile back and this is what I found -

Is It True You Can Feel Weather Changes In Your Joint?

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

So…your knees weren’t lying today when they signaled rain was on the way. :wink:
A great weekend to you! I hope it a dry one. :)
 
Hello @ski_bum
Please notice that I moved the above question from another members thread to your thread. It’s best to have your recovery information contained in one place making it easier for you to reflect back on. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Interestingly enough, I did do a little research on this very topic awhile back and this is what I found -

Is It True You Can Feel Weather Changes In Your Joint?

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

So…your knees weren’t lying today when they signaled rain was on the way. :wink:
A great weekend to you! I hope it a dry one. :)
Thank you. I still can't find where I am supposed to post.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom