Guest viewing is limited

THR Sissie's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet I hear you! My brother and one of my best friends have become Snow Birds, summering in North Carolina, but I love every day of every month in Florida. In the heat of summer, I am on the water at daybreak in the mist, and home by 12 or 1. Or at the beach early, and home in time to watch the afternoon thunderstorms over the lake.

The poems that you posted that reflected your love of your sunburned country during the wildfires made me think of this quote:

"It is essential to experience all the times and moods of one good place. No one will ever be able to say how essential, how truly part of a genuine life this is: but all this is lost in the abstract, formal routine of exercises under an official fluorescent light." ​
~Thomas Merton​
 
Poppet you have an inlet! Sounds lovely. And I live in a desirable place (Portland OR). I just desire to be someplace else when the weather's a little colder and rainy. Maybe lease to a law student who's studious and a neat freak, while I go traveling.

Then again global warming is keeping us from having the snow we used to, and even this winter has been dry. I'm watching House Hunters International and they're looking at Sydney property. Very expensive!!! But quite beautiful. They say you have 9 months of beautiful weather.

And does anyone from Europe or Australia really have a hankering o live in the States? Be honest. I'm just curious.
 
HappyHippy Have you ever looked into one of those organizations that arranges house exchanges? I know someone who has exchanged his home for vacations in Europe, and it has always worked out well.

I've never explored that possibility---who else could live with my three spoiled cats:kittykiss:

If you Google "house exchange" a bunch of those programs pop up. If you like, I'll find out which one Mike uses.
 
Sissy46,

The house exchange idea isn't bad, and I've heard of it. I also may do a short term rental (1-2 months someplace south, like Arizona or Palm Springs). I just purchased and renovated so I'm not ready for other people to live here honestly. But that time will come. I AM ready for a vacation when I can handle it. I'd love to have more travel and adventure in the next decade. This last one hasn't been the best, and I'm sure there's others here who understand. When you can't even sit on a plane more than 2-3 hours, it's restricting. But I'm looking forward to more fun. And we have a lot of beauty close by too.

Thanks for the idea. Back to the Oscars :)
 
Sissy, how do I find you on facebook? I'd like to see more of your photos.
 
Giraffe44 I just send you a PM with my real name so you can contact me on FB.

All the places where I take pictures are an easy drive for you.
 
One final update, which I meant to do on my 6 month anniversary date, which was March 25.

This is the final update, because I will have no more progress to report. It doesn't get any better than this!

At just about 5 months, even the "start up" pain that so many of us have (the soreness and stiffness with the first few steps after sitting for a while) had gone away. Since then, absolutely no discomfort, and energy level has been back to normal for months, and I'm able to do everything I could do before the hip pain came my way. It is actually hard to recall what that pain felt like.

I will always be grateful to my brilliant surgeon for taking the time and effort to learn the anterior approach to THR. It made a world of difference to me to have no restrictions and to be back in my kayak in 4 weeks time. What a feeling!

I deeply appreciate the knowledge and friendships that have come my way from BoneSmart. I'm already friends on Facebook with several of the warriors, and if anyone else wants to be FB friends, please send me a PM.

Leaving this morning on a kayaking/biking/hiking/camping trip. Life is good. Best to all of you.
 
Hi sissy46 What a wonderful post. I am so happy that you are completely back to where you want to be and you are living your life to the full. Your story is truly inspirational I would like to thank you for all the support you have given me over the past 3 months. Have a wonderful holiday x
 
Congrats on your Anniversary, Sissy. You've been such an inspiration for the rest of us to get off our butts and get out into the beautiful world! I have to say I agree it's been an incredible journey and glad we were "buddies" through our recoveries.

Remember to check in for next New Years' Eve and touch base through BS every once and a while! I'll log into FB more often :heehee:
 
Thanks, everyone. I took an air mattress for this first post-op tent camping trip, just to pamper the new hip a little, but the mattress deflated and left me flat on the ground. Happy to say, no problem!

dede62, you'd better!
bellaroma I'm treating myself to a new kayak, a Hurricane Skimmer 128 (silver on white)
BarbaraR girl, I could never have zipped right back to work like you have!
Kim22 you're already one month post-op so it won't be long before you totally have your life back, too. Giraffe44 See you on FB!
Wishing all BoneSmarties past, present, and future, successful surgeries and fast, easy recoveries.
 
Ah sissy46.. Don't be a stranger, pop back occasionally nature warrior.

Congrats on your milestone, enjoy the kayaking, check in around Sept 14 when I have my big RETIREMENT party xxxx
 
sissy46 Just saw your post that you are calling your final update, how can you leave us? You have been here with such good advice and comforting words since I joined. I'm glad I got to know you through your posts and I hope there will be more. I also hope that in 6 months I will also sign off with as good a report. Take care and enjoy your new found life with your new hip.
 
Hi Sissy46 yes I agree so sad to see you go, please check in whenever it crosses your mind if you have the time, ill take whatever I can :) . Thankyou for your ongoing support and strength you were one of my greatest inspirations and helped give me the courage to move forward with the rest of my life.
I don't regret doing the op for not even a second, when you are stricken by the levels of pain we had become so familiar with it was the only logical option. I cant believe I thought physio would be a miracle cure each week, poor girl.
Anyways, life is grand once we have our mobility restored and you my friend and a beautiful shining example of this, continue to enjoy natures almighty grandeur and live, love and laugh to the fullest always.
I wish you the sweetest joys in life always and thankyou for everything, you are amazing xxxxxxx :flwrysmile:
 
sissy46.... I see you nature warrior... What adventures are you getting up to now honey? .... need an update :)
 
Poppet Thanks for popping in! Well, in a sincere effort to stimulate the economy, I bought a brand new Hurricane Skimmer 128 kayak. Maiden voyage was yesterday, and I love that boat.

I had planned to go camping again next week, but with a kitty on antibiotics I'll be doing day trips instead. Loaded and ready to go early tomorrow morning--will decide where when I get in the car.

September 14 is getting closer and closer---that is Sept 14, 2013, right? I know you are looking forward to kayaking and chasing wallabees and Nordic Walking. Definitely, I will be here for your retirement party.

sandybeach and stargirl thank you for your kind words. I'm still checking in daily to keep tabs on the folks I've gotten to know, and to put in a plug for the anterior approach that I appreciate so much---although when I see my OS I'm going to ask him to go back and learn the SuperPath method before I get anything else replaced:heehee:
 
Oh wow, fantastic... a new kayak.. I am so envious, but so thrilled that you are having so much fun. Sorry to read about your sick kitty.. Hope it gets better soon.

Yes, 192 actual working days... lol, not that the lady is counting hahaha!

We are into our cold weather now, our first frost and minus minimum... Hoping to weather this winter better than the last one.

You have to have fun for me now nature warrior :) I am counting on it.. Hugs xx
 
sissy46 Glad to see you will continue to post on here. This site is addictive. If you are lucky enough to have the superpath technique that's the way to go. In the end we do all get the same result....our lives back. I hope your kitty gets better. Poppet you are having your winter weather and we are hoping for some spring type weather which has been long in coming.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom