Guest viewing is limited

THR Sissie's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Sissy, what interesting adventures are you up to these days?
 
stargirl and Poppet thanks for thinking of me:)


I'll be 5 months post-op on the 25th of this month, and I feel totally recovered from the surgery. It has been months since I took even an ibuprofen for hip pain. The "start up" stiffness and soreness that we all seem to experience finally faded away.

Life is good, our weather here in Florida has been beautiful, and I'm really enjoying it. I just completed a 6 week course on Florida Freshwater Wetlands (noncredit course offered through University of Florida) with field trips that involved not only paddling but traipsing through recently burned wetlands, uneven terrain, etc. No problem! I had to do a presentation on the last day, and I made an iMovie, 14 minutes long, of videos and still photos of the critters of the wetland. I'm planning to take the Uplands Habitat module of this program at the end of April. I'm doing my volunteer kayak river patrol at the state park, and also doing a lot of canoeing/kayaking outside of that, and trying to also find time to go hiking and bike riding at least once a week.

Yesterday I hiked farther than I had planned---between 7 and 8 miles---and my back was yelling at me by the time I got back, but my new hip was happy. A half hour on the sofa with an ice pack, my Kindle, and two cats for company took care of the back, so I'm not complaining. It is so easy to tell others not to overdo it, but I have trouble adhering to that, myself.

I still get lots of notifications from BS so I check in frequently to see how my BS buddies and warriors are doing. bellaroma will be getting a new right hip one week from today. nerdgrrl and dede62 and Cookie42 are doing well. Damn! is off the radar, but I know she's alive because she posts on Facebook. I know we all miss her, but I understand.

stargirl, I'm so happy your recovery is going well. You've had and will have those two step forward, one step back days, like all of us, but in a few months, if not weeks, you'll be enjoying those beach walks you've craved.
 
sissy46

Wow, you certainly are our Nature Warrior, I am so thrilled for you and yes you are a poster girl for your DAA :)
 
Wow sissy46 !!!!!! You are amazing !!!!! Your post was even more exciting that I could have fathomed :) thankyou for taking time to reply we missed you waaaay to much ! Xxx
I can only pray I'm half as good as your recovery and I will be ecstatic !!!!
Whenever time permits and if you can be bothered drop a photo of anything you perceived as beautiful on your adventures I adore your flora/fauna pics :) xxxxx
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sissie's recovery
Surgery a smashing success, healing all done, and the world out there just waiting for you! Who could ask for anything more! Sissy, you'll be back to your life full time, and I know we'll hear less and less from you. But that's as it should be. Just don't be a complete stranger. Drop in once in a while with an update and maybe a great pic or two or three.

Your postings will be an inspiration to those coming behind you. You've been a poster girl for the BoneSmart way. Take care, have lots of fun, and let us hear from you from time to time. Don't ever forget that we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Sissie's recovery
 
Sissy46,

I hope I'm an "old tart" too and have this hip lasting longer than I do. The kayaking looks better and better on a rainy Oregon day! Do you ever getting popping in the opposite hip. Mine's pretty bad since this surgery. No pain, just popping.

I should probably ask our nurses, but won't ask for trouble before trouble is here :)
 
Hey, Sissy. Sounds like things are going smashing for you! Wow 7-8 miles hiking is huge! I'm so happy for you and you really are an inspiration to get out and about so we can get home to our Haagen Dazs!

HH I actually had some clicking in my other hip that has seems to resolved itself... I'm probably not relying as much on it and have relieved the pressure.
 
Thanks, y'all! I'm not going anywhere until bellaroma is back on her kayak, stargirl is back on her beach, HappyHippy is totally recovered, and Damn! shows her face here again. And even so, I'll hang out to encourage those who want DAA, as someone needs to:heehee:



Actually, I am going, and have been, lots of places, but I'll always check back with my BS warrior buddies.

HappyHippy, all my joints go snap, crackle, pop, and I haven't noticed anything different from the non-op hip. They can pop all they want to as long as they don't hurt.

I'll post a few pictures for Stargirl when I get a minute....
 
Hi sissy46 you are amazing xxxx

I know we are like minded and want to trek our beautiful earth so I'll ask you did you ever 'overdo ' around four weeks post op to point where you had to stay indoors for the day and just ice and ice ?? I'm a little freaked out because I walked too long (with cane ) yesterday and an worried I damaged prosthesis :/ feeling scared and a little down my nature girl xx
 
stargirl Go back and read my posts from early November. Yes, I did that, more than once. You'll be okay, just back off a little---do a little less than you think you could, and then ice anyway. It can't hurt!
[Bonesmart.org] Sissie's recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Sissie's recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Sissie's recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Sissie's recovery
The first picture is one my brother took of me on Mosquito Lagoon, at Canaveral National Seashore a couple of weeks ago. Then the otter, from Wekiva River, and the Great Heron, from St. Johns River, then my friend Lars Andersen (he's an outfitter and environmental expert and advocate in High Springs, Fl) and me when a group of friends and I paddled Deep Creek last week.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Sissie's recovery
    IMG_2501.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 149
  • [Bonesmart.org] Sissie's recovery
    IMG_2547.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 153
I'd much rather be called an old tart (or a rhyming word) any day than called a senior citizen. After all, what comes after senior? Graduation? To what, I ask.
 
Well, yes, Cookie, after senior comes graduation----to the other side of this life, which we really do not what to think about.
 
Oh sissy46 you are my shining example of what lays ahead for me once retired... I have the most beautiful inlet which goes back 37 k's...
 
Poppet and you have a kayak, too, don't you? Oh, the stress you'll have, deciding among kayaking, the beach, chasing the wallabees.
 
sissy46, yes we have kayaks, 20 ft racing Hobie cat, surf skis and we are registered international scuba diving bods .. beautiful tidal inlet, dolphins that come into play, beautiful bird life, beautiful beaches.. Nordic Walking, bike paths that go for kilometers to the next village and beyond right alongside the ocean..

So close and yet so far away still.... Feeling extremely frustrated.. I know that I am not doing sufficient exercise, being chained to a desk 9-10 hours.. Getting stiff and very exhausted... would love to just quit.. ah well..... Sigh !!
 
Sissy46,

Thanks for the pics ... Motivates me to get a move on and be well enough to kayak here when Spring comes. Perhaps I'll take a shorter trip to warmer water in April; think I should be fine by then.

They are lovely, and I can't wait! Just how expensive is real estate down there? We're already seeing an upswing here with low inventories. Most anything under 200k needs major work. I love my house, but would like to be in warmer weather about 4 months of the year. I just need to rent to a skier then. Any Aussies want to flip seasons to Oregon? :)
 
Haha! HappyHippy... Good try... :)

We Aussies move around our own country, chasing better weather etc etc.. not this Aussie, she just wants to retire to her piece of paradise... another BIG SIGH!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom