THR Sissie's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi sissy46 loooove your photos thankyou !!! I am am absolute nature freak and cannot wait for the day to feel the sunshine on my face and the sand between my toes collecting seashells and observing natures beauty. I love seeing you have posted photos as this reassures me one of the last things on your mind Is your hip because likely you have little to no pain !?!!

I am in my third night at hospital tonight and truth is staff have been amazing just trying to space my meds out nicely so i am not a zombie . Every 3.5/ 4 hrs for endone and paracetamol if needed .

Thankyou for your tireless support it has meant the world to me .

By the way so far no bruising but maybe still early days? , hope this anterior procedure allows me the freedom it was advocating beforehand , leg stiffness still but as Poppet says still major surgery has been endured.

I
 
stargirl No bruising?!? that certainly goes to show everyone's journey is a bit different. I had lots of painless bruising right after surgery, but I have always bruised easily. That resolved quickly, and after I went home and started over-doing everything, I had a good bit of painless swelling about the 5th or 6th post-op day, which quickly resolved with elevation, rest, and ice. No swelling since.

You're right, I have no pain, at this point, 4 months post-op yesterday. I mostly think about my hip when I think "wow, my hip feels great!"

I'm glad you enjoy the photos.
 
Sissy, you are so right, being back at work makes it harder to post alot, but I try to keep in touch with us oldies and to help the newbies. It was so sweet of you to stick around to provide warrior spirit for my next bout. THANK YOU!!!
 
I am on FB but an still going thru changes with my computer at home. Not supposed to access on my work computer...

The pics are great! Love the hawk and baby and the otter poking its nose out of the water :-D

I somehow missed stargirl's recovery thread. I'll go check in with her.
 
Yup, I'm in the same boat as the rest of you work and other stuff is making it harder to check in as often. That is probably a good thing, but it makes it harder to keep up. I totally missed @stargirl's recovery thread, and a few other I am sure. Now I will have to go find them! Happy Saturday!
 
Hi Sissy, just dropping by to let you know that I am alive and relatively well. I have been a bad Warrior not checking in with you girls. Been in a bit of a funk lately. I am so happy to see all the beautiful pictures. I check out your FB page often to see the pics too.

How is your wetlands class going? It surprises me that you aren't teaching the class. You have educated me on the variety of Florida's wildlife...that's for sure.

Hope all is well with you.

Tammy
 
Thanks for you kind words, and it is good to know you're alive and kicking. So to speak.

The wetlands course has been fun and informative, lots of walking on field trips---I wouldn't have been able to participate before surgery. I just completed my project for the course, a 15 minute movie on the wildlife of central Florida wetlands. A bit of a challenge, and I learned a lot about iMovie.

Off to go kayaking this morning---life is good. No hip pain. Doing whatever I want.

I have a routine post-op appointment with my OS this Friday---I think I will hug him.
 
You are our nature loving CHAMPION Sissy !!! Xxx
Thankyou for your inspirational posts they gave me the courage to move forward pre op and now the incentive to continue my exercises and strength regaining do I too can once again enjoy natures grandeur !.
 
stargirl Remember slow and steady, take your pain meds when you need them, do a little less than you think you can. Give that lovely new hip time to settle in. We want to have them for the rest of our lives, right?
 
You are my joy Sissy thankyou for the wise advice xxx how long did your OS say you would get out of your cool new part?
 
stargirl I plan on having it the rest of my life, as I am 66, it is doing well, and I will treat it right---no high impact sports and all that. I think the longevity of these protheses is highly variable depending on a lot of factors, but it would seem mine has everything going for it. I'll ask him Friday what he thinks.
I'm glad you are doing so well---you are a star!
 
Hi girls
I had my 1st hip replacement when I was 30 and it lasted 19 years. It had a hard life as I am very active and have used it to the limit. I think they can last even longer now :kittykiss:
 
stargirl, My OS told me IF i don't abuse it (no intense jumping and no marathons) and maintain my ideal body weight, there is no reason i shouldn't get at least 20-30 years out of my "cool new part".....
 
I dont think I could bear another operation , Perhsps because it's all so fresh , it's not the pain that's more than manageable its just the exit from normal life for long and the dependence on others I Abhor.
 
Nineteen weeks post-op; saw my delightful OS this morning and everything is good---I see him again in 6 months.


He was happy with my ROM, strength, gait, and the fact that I am enjoying my life immensely. At some point, I will have him evaluate my knee, but not while I can still walk 5 miles.

stargirl I asked him how long my new hip will last, and as I expected, it is highly variable, depending on activity. He thinks I should get 20+ years out of it doing the things I do now (hiking, kayaking, bicycling,) probably less if I take up jogging for exercise, or any other high impact sport---which I am not likely to do because of my back, anyway.

Now me, I plan on the rest of me wearing out before this nice new hip does:spin:
 
You know, I never thought to ask how long this hip would last. I just figured it would be forever. There are no high impact sports in my future (or my present), but I do have a "traditional build" as Alexander McCall Smith's number 1 lady detective says. My son says I'm built for the famine. That may have been another reason I got the ceramic ball instead of plastic!
 
Good to know the OS agress with us, that you are doing fantastic, we want to keep you in good shape, as we need all the support and wonderful pictures you provided.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom