THR Shiney Happy Hip

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello fellow hippies,

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH SOMNE ADVICE PLEASE?

I continue to do really well, and was signed off by both the surgeon & physios last week, no restrictions. The new hip feels great and I get very little discomfort - just a little tightness around the op site, as it's still mending internally. I've done quite a lot of walking - enjoying my new found freedom. Probably overdoing it a bit... (as you know, it's typical me).

Last Monday, out of the blue, my left hip started complaining. Mostly soft tissue soreness, glutes and a little on the inside of the thigh. So I eased up on the walking. It's better, but still there. I asked the surgeon what he thought and he said: “Probably just overdoing it a bit - nothing to suggest that there is a significant problem on the left side. Just stretching exercises - could get the physios to have a look”.

Anyone had a similar occurrence of discomfort in the 'good' hip in the first few weeks after the op?

I'd be very grateful for any input. I can't shake a small suspicion that it's more than a soft tissue strain.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Sounds like you may have over done activities. That non-op side takes quite a beating leading up to surgery. Then you begin to walk differently post op. It's not uncommon to experience aches and pains in several areas.

One question - have you replaced your shoes since your op? You should not wear shoes with your pre-op wearing pattern. It will cause all kinds of discomfort.

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

Country
Well, that's encouraging overall - thanks @Jacey

I am wearing the same shoes, and cannot really afford to junk them all and get new ones. I have got one unworn pair, and I'll give those a try.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Sorry you're struggling a bit @rainmaker
I agree that maybe your left hip has been overworked. Could be you are unintentionally favoring your right.
Not sure if you are limping at all but my PT advised heel-toe walking for me in an effort to lose the limp.
Heel strikes ground first, followed by toes. It works!

The only reason I'm mentioning it, even if the limp doesn't apply, it made me aware of how I was walking. It makes me feel as though I was walking straighter and taller. I think we develop a sloppy gait as our hip deteriorated and we often need to work on correcting that post op.

The thought of tossing an entire shoe collection > :yikes: Difficult! If possible, purchase a new pair
that are of good support and fit your lifestyle and wear only those for awhile.
You may feel the discomfort in wearing your old shoes after that.

A great week to you!

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Hi @rainmaker , and nice to hear back from you. I've had your type of experience. Soreness in the thigh of the ok leg after a long-distance training run. Recovered after rest. I hope this will work for you, too.
However, concerning the rain - I think you're trying to pull my leg :rofsign:. (is this a hip forum? :). I'm in Torquay now and have seen the sun:SUNsmile:. Went swimming and running along the shore. Please send some rain to Germany. They are having a water shortage:blackcloud:. I wish you good health. Best wishes - Constanze

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Also, you don't have to ditch all your shoes. Only the entirely worn out ones may be. When I had my new hip, I only bought one new pair of shoes and I kept most of my others. I'm ok.

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

Country
Hi @Constanze

Yes, for once we are having lots of dry sunny weather in the UK. Even I cannot complain!! As to sending clouds to Germany, I think that's already happened - you're out of the World Cup (sorry!).

I think you and @Layla and others were right, the pain on the left side is mostly adjustment of the body to the new hip and gait. It has calmed down a lot in the last week, and there is very little discomfort now. I have slowed down and reduced my walking, so I was probably was overdoing it. I admit it.

If things carry on like this I will go back to the gym for the first time in 8 weeks next week. I don't know how much fitness I've lost but I suspect it will be quite tough the first 2-3 times. I already know to take it easy and not go mad on the cross trainer!

Yours, Droughtmaker.

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Thank you @rainmaker , I'm glad your soreness has subsided. You are fit and probably will be able to exercise again soon. You can also read on my recovery thread as from April how I did something stupid (a nasty on my back head and bottom at the indoor swimming pool while running), and it took me a lot longer to recover. Now it's forgotten. Best - Constanze

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Droughtmaker :rotfl:

I'm happy to hear your pain has calmed down. Please take it slow if you return to the gym next week.
You're right....no going mad on the cross trainer :bignono: Let us know how it goes when you return.
A great weekend to you!
@rainmaker

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey @rainmaker
Haven't heard from you in a while.
Stopping by to say Hi :hi: and wish you a
Happy Four Month Anniversary! :yay:
I hope all is well. Drop us an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear of your progress.
Best Wishes moving forward :)

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

Country
Hi @Layla

It's really nice of you to follow-up.

I'm doing fine on the operated hip. But...

I'm pretty sure the left hip is now deteriorating. The niggles started bang on the end of week 6, and they've not really got any better, in fact they are getting worse. Doesn't fill me with joy - hence the radio silence - but I must accept it. Biggest problem is knowing when to try to get it diagnosed, and start that whole protracted process again. Makes me tired just thinking about it!

In the meantime I'm back in the gym 3-4 times per week and living a pretty busy life as the left hip is nothing like as bad as the right was pre-op. For now, anyway. Just when I thought things were getting back to normal...

Hope you are well, and everyone else from May is making great progress.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for the update. It is so nice to hear from you.
I'm so sorry Lefty is giving you a problem. It's an all too familiar story.
I had my right done just as you and I know my left will most likely need replacing in the future.
No fun and certainly not what we look forward to. I always admire bilaterals but am too much of a scaredy cat to do that, they're lucky in the sense it was "One and Done".
Stay in touch as you move forward. You know we'll be here to support you.
Best wishes for a nice weekend!
@rainmaker

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Hi @rainmaker, I enjoyed reading an update from you today. I'm sorry your left hip hurts and might need replacing, too. But I'm sure, you'll "weather" ist out because you are so positive. By the way, we still have a fair amount of summer weather in Germany with lots of sunshine and it's been warm - there be more warm days next week (about 30°C). This has been a really long summer in Germany - and what about England? I've just had both my eyes operated for cataract and can now see much better. I can drive without glasses now. It feels good.
By the way - I like that cat in your avatar - me and one of our daughters also like cats.
All the best for you - Constanze

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Hello fellow hippies,

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH SOMNE ADVICE PLEASE?

I continue to do really well, and was signed off by both the surgeon & physios last week, no restrictions. The new hip feels great and I get very little discomfort - just a little tightness around the op site, as it's still mending internally. I've done quite a lot of walking - enjoying my new found freedom. Probably overdoing it a bit... (as you know, it's typical me).

Last Monday, out of the blue, my left hip started complaining. Mostly soft tissue soreness, glutes and a little on the inside of the thigh. So I eased up on the walking. It's better, but still there. I asked the surgeon what he thought and he said: “Probably just overdoing it a bit - nothing to suggest that there is a significant problem on the left side. Just stretching exercises - could get the physios to have a look”.

Anyone had a similar occurrence of discomfort in the 'good' hip in the first few weeks after the op?

I'd be very grateful for any input. I can't shake a small suspicion that it's more than a soft tissue strain.
I'd ask for an X ray.

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

Country
Hi @Constanze

Nice to hear from you. Yes, we had a very long Summer in England too - lots of hot days and plenty of open air swimming in the river. But now the first signs of Autumn are showing.

Great that you've had your cataracts operated on, it must be very liberating. No excuse for scratches on the car now :heehee:

The cat in my avavtar is a stray. We found him on the road over a year ago. The picture was taken when he was about 10 weeks old. He's a lot bigger now, and a real character.

Best regards.

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Hi @rainmaker, em droughtmaker, the drought in Germany continues: I'm still watering my flower beds and the sun is shining nicely so I can go around in my summer dress and eat ice cream in the open air.
Thanks for your nice good wishes about the cataract operation. Yes, indeed, I can enjoy driving again. My field of vision is also so much better. And the sharpness is unbelievable - everything is so sharp that it almost hurts. All I have to do is keep reading to a minimum for the first 6 weeks - I hope I won't get daft. :)
I rode my bicycle in my shorts today.
And what do you think - will your other hip need replacing soon? Just carry on giving us your news.
Best - Constanze

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

Country
@Constanze I'm pleased the sun is still shining for you. And now you will be appreciating it even more with your new sharp sight. Were you worried about the operation? I would have been...

You won't become 'daft' by not reading for a few weeks. But you might get a bit bored. I will keep you up to date about my other hip. I will probably go for a consultation and x-ray later this autumn, and take it from there.

All the best to you.

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
Thank you rainmaker. I will certainly not get bored. I'm enjoying the late summer. Even though the eye doctor said no sport, I can do walking, light jogging and slow cycle rides along the official cycle tracks of the Rhine-Main area, such as the tracks along the Main river with my husband who is retired. That's not very exhausting and hard - only light exercise. You have to use your common sense there. I won't train hard and I won't make any major physical effort. Bought myself some new fish for my fish tank, tried out new cooking recipes etc.
I just miss some things: Reading, swimming and, especially my Russian classes. I can't read the reader we are reading in class and can't do my homework. Eye restrictions are a drag like hip restrictions. And I didn't have any hip restrictions from my hip surgeon then, so I'm not used to restrictions. Do let me know the outcome of your x-ray appointment when you've had it - best - Constanze

Constanze

graduate
Country
Germany Germany
...yes - and I was afraid of the anaesthetic, not so much of the operation itself. I trusted my eye surgeon 100%. They said they only do a general anaesthetic at that hospital where the surgeon always performs his surgeries, not a local one where you are fully awake - they only do that in a true eye clinic. General anaesthetics scare me to death. But the anaesthetic lasted only 15 minutes. I don't think it was a real general anaesthetic, only one of those anaesthetics where they just send you to sleep - like you get when you are having a coloscopy.

OP
OP
rainmaker

rainmaker

Country
Hi @Constanze

So I went for an x-ray 10 days ago.

The surgeon told me - and showed me on the x-ray - that there was barely any change in the left hip since last December. Which is bizarre, as I was getting a lot of discomfort. And since he told me that it has improved a lot, which is also very strange!

His advice: you'll probably need a replacement in the future but hang on as long as possible as you're quite young to have the op again. Suggested cortisone injections to calm the inflammation.

But, as I say, it's been a lot better recently so now I'm left wondering why I had such a lot of discomfort....I'm pleased, but confused.

Top Bottom