THR Shiney Happy Hip

Thankyou Hippielife. Wise words from someone who's been there 3 times.
 
Hi All,

Quick update. Came home Friday at lunchtime, and am now 4 days post op.

I managed to get up the stairs as soon as I got home - wanted to be sure I could sleep in my own bed. It caused some 'pulling' and stinging around the op site as our stairs are steep, but got easier and now is no problem.

I have cut my pain meds down to paracetamol when needed - the pain is really not an issue for most of the day, but I find I get sore towards the evening. It's great not to be on the zombie pills any more! I bought a big 'thigh-sized' ice gel pack before the op, and I stick that on in the evening, and again when I go to bed. It's wonderful relief from the swelling and soreness, I recommend it to anyone who's in recovery.

I can walk with one stick now, and today managed to take a walk out of our back garden. I'm doing most of the PT exercises. I find it fascinating that when abducting the leg it's actually an artificial joint I feel moving in and out - nice and smooth, unlike its predecessor! Exercises are OK but I'm very aware of my limits: overdoing it would be very painful. If I don't feel like doing them, I don't. I'm doing plenty of 'pottering' around the house.

The compression socks are not my favourite feature of recovery. Six weeks of wearing snot-coloured tights. And my poor wife has to put them on and take them off for me everyday. BTW if anyone is struggling to get them on and off, put a thin plastic bag over your foot first and then pull it out through the toe hole when you've got the sock on.

Like a lot of people on this forum I'm not a fan of sleeping on my back. But I've managed to get enough by using 3 tactics: (1) putting a soft pillow under my knees (2) replacing the ice gel pack at bedtime (3) taking a zombie pill as a last resort.

Above all, my arthritic hip pain is GONE. And the lower back pain that dogged me has also virtually disappeared, except at night, which I think might be because I'm sleeping on my back.

So all in all I'm very grateful for my recovery experience so far. I do think keeping very fit before the op has significantly helped me, but I'm also aware that is not an option for everyone, especially with arthritis in both hips or other complications.

The psychological relief of going through major surgery without (as yet!) any of the risks materialising is massive. I was lying in bed this morning thinking about all the times I lay there pre-op, wondering about how things would turn out. As is so often the case in life, turns out that worrying was largely a waste of time & energy.

All the best to my fellow May Marvels and everyone else on the forum. I'll post another update in a couple of days.
 
Hi @rainmaker
It's natural to worry pre-op because the outcome is unknown. I recall thinking many crazy things.
Should I write my kids letters, just in case, tidy my closet and drawers, delete things in my computer :heehee:
It's also a great relief to wake up in your grogginess realizing it's behind you! I describe it as a "high" of sorts.
Well....I was high, I guess, but had my wits about me enough to realize the part I feared the most was over and I was still breathing!

It sounds as though you're doing well and respect your temporary limitations. Use that wonderful ice pack you have any time you're sitting or laying down. Great for swelling and pain.

Thanks for sharing the tip on the compression socks! I've yet to hear that one and it makes sense and sounds so easy! I will add that to my arsenal.

Hope your day is great and your week peaceful as you begin your healing journey.
Thank you for sharing an update!
 
Hi Layla - you had a THR last Summer, is that right? I just wondered whether your left hip has shown any signs of arthritis at all. I ask because they pronounced my left hip healthy when my right hip was diagnosed. But many people on the forum seem to have problems with both hips. And my mother had both her hips replaced. Any thoughts on whether single or double replacement is the more common experience?
 
I had my left done 5 months ago and my right still looks normal, or so my OS says. Hoping to be "one and done" myself. Not sure what the stats long term are though.
 
Hi @rainmaker
You're correct, my surgery was last Summer, June 27th.
Yes, I do have OA in my other hip. I learned that at the same time I was diagnosed with the hip I had replaced. I'm sure a second replacement is in my future. I just don't know when. I asked my OS at the time how he felt about my left, as opposed to my right, in relation to THR. His answer was "years" from now. I've learned during my time here that the time frame can't be predicted, just as the results of our surgery can't either. Currently it rarely bothers me and I have really good range of motion. I do get a twinge now and then but not even daily. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hopefully with less fear the next time around. My parents each had both of their hips replaced. So I guessed there was a good possibility it could be in my future. My sibs as well. I'm the oldest so time will tell. Possibly you'll get lucky and never need your other replaced. That would be great!

As far as single or double replacement, one outweighing the other. It's a tough call but I know I'm in good company and read of many who end up having both done. Maybe, Josephine, with all her years of experience will see this and weigh in.

Wishing you a wonderful day!
 
Thanks Layla, very helpful. I do hope your left hip stays healthy for years & years into the future. With your current lack of symptoms you should be confident. Have a good day!:)
 
The first thing I asked the technician when they did the post op x-ray of my left hip was how does the right look. At the time, all was perfect. But you can see in my signature, the right one went as well. Most of this is inherited. But I sure didn't wait around when the right one started to complain. That was a much easier recovery.
 
I guess I'll be philosophical about it. My right declined for years before I even realised it was a problem, so I'll try to look after the left as best I can. If it comes to it, at least I know what's in store!
 
When you do your PT are you doing the other leg also? It will give you a good baseline and you might see if the other leg has any limitations. My new hip puts my other hip to shame as far as ROM. By doing PT with both legs it also strengthened the non op leg so that now getting up and down from kneeling and squatting is much easier, I had cut down on movements like that pre-op from the limited ROM in the bad hip.
Never had compression socks, ankle pumps,PT and an aspirin a day was all my OS wanted. He also didn't recommend a pillow under the knee, you have to watch hamstrings don't tighten.
 
Exercises are OK but I'm very aware of my limits: overdoing it would be very painful. If I don't feel like doing them, I don't. I'm doing plenty of 'pottering' around the house.
That's the way to do it, smart man!

Above all, my arthritic hip pain is GONE. And the lower back pain that dogged me has also virtually disappeared, except at night, which I think might be because I'm sleeping on my back.

Same with me. The back sleeping is not too great and with bilateral it was quite a bit before I could get things figured.
I still have some minor lower back issues, but nothing like that excruciating pain from before.
Practicing good posture and waning upright helped with core issues.
 
So here we are on Day 8 post surgery...

I can walk short distances without a stick. I've even been out to the local shop with my wife. The bruising has come out (nice) including a lovely purple blotch behind the knee, believe it or not. I am still getting frequent periods of total exhaustion. Still no pain meds since day 4.

I'm pretty happy with the way the recovery is going.

I did get a mood crash on day 6/day 7. The post-op blues kicked in with a vengeance. I started to think less positively about my progress, guilty about being looked after, and afraid that I might never get back to full energy levels. My advice to anyone else who hits the blues is (1) to read about other people's recovery experiences (helpful, sobering and supportive all at once) and (2) give in, and get as much comfortable rest as possible - I'm pretty sure (in my case anyway) it's triggered by exhaustion.

Overall it feels like I've had a cricket ball sown into my butt, and then someone's given it a kick.

But I'm also sure it'll feel more like a golf ball this time next week.
 
Glad to hear you are recovering so well, @rainmaker Aside from the little bout with depression. Sounds like things are working out nicely. Hope it continues on like this for you. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I hope my recuperation goes as well. Thanks for the tip on reading others experiences. I’ll be sure to remember that.
 
It's quite a long time till your surgery @dogchick - hope you can use the time to get as mentally prepared as possible. I wasn't ready the first time I booked surgery. So I delayed 4 months and for me it was the right thing to do. I went in determined to succeed. Had I gone on the first available date in January I would have approached it all wrong, with a victim-like mindset. Good luck to you.
 
Still really early days...AND the post op blues do raise their ugly head.
Glad you are getting around .
Onward:egypdance:
 
And thanks for sharing your story, @rainmaker! Love reading your posts - that dry sense of humor is a blast. Keep blazing that healing trail - I'll be right behind you in a couple of weeks!
 
Hi @sweet alice

It's odd taking your first step without a stick at all. Also can be a little painful - cricket ball syndrome! I think I probably overdid it the first time I tried, so maybe just aim to walk a few steps initially...

How's the recovery going?
 
And thanks for sharing your story, @rainmaker! Love reading your posts - that dry sense of humor is a blast. Keep blazing that healing trail - I'll be right behind you in a couple of weeks!

You're very welcome. THR on 29 May? Less than 2 weeks. I'd better up my training plan, judging by your picture you're going to be quick! :)
 
The last couple of days have been so-so. I think its hit me how long full recovery is going to take. Getting quite a lot of discomfort but its changed in focus, feels like a bad muscular tear or bruise. Still find the ice pack the most effective treatment. The bottom of the wound is weeping a little, not blood but yellow serum-type fluid. Don't think there's any infection. Walked a mile with one stick today and was pretty tired at the end. Have my 2 week checkups lined up for Tuesday. How's everyone else getting on?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom