Guest viewing is limited

THR Shiney Happy Hip

Day 23 update:

This is all going so well I'm waiting for a setback.

Had a pretty normal day today - household chores, shopping trip, made dinner and had a short walk with the dog this evening. The dog's having to get used to the idea that I'm good to go out with again - over the last year he decided I'm no fun, as I had to give up the long walks I used to do with him until, in the end, I couldn't cope with more than half a mile. When I'd turn back for home he'd give me this 'Is that it? Seriously?' look. Trust is now being rebuilt!

Today was the first day I didn't really have a rest. So, out with the ice pack this evening and up with the legs. Plus something cold to drink...purely for medicinal purposes. Can't get Peroni on prescription, unfortunately.

Cheers all, hope your day is going well.
 
Cheers :cheers: Hope you have a good weekend. You're doing great!

No double fisting it :beer: with the Peroni
You don't want to trip and fall :bignono:
@rainmaker
 
:yahoo:happy to hear good report.
Onward...
 
@Mojo333 - Got to ask, how did you manage the double? The further I go on this journey, the more impressive your achievement seems. Awesome. You definitely earned your scolding rights !!
 
Wow, man, you are rocking this thing! So inspirational to hear how your life is returning to normal - I'm really happy for you!

And I double-down on your comment to @Mojo333 - I've read her diary enough to know her first month or so was pretty challenging, to put it mildly. Wow.
 
@Bone-obo

Many thanks for your kind comments - only doing what you're going to do in another 2 weeks. All the very best.
 
:heehee: Just want everyone to have the same success I have had with my recovery.
As Far as how I did it...
Same way as most...best I could with trial and error and much consternation.
Bonesmart taught me that I was not weak, I was recovering..and I had to learn some lessons on patience.
 
Hi everyone,

So it's week 5 just gone and I want to celebrate - all is good. Walking well for 2-3 miles per day, scar nicely healing up and - best of all - no pain. I reckon I'm back to how I was feeling 3 years ago before the hip started deteriorating. It's truly transformational!

Finished the blood thinners yesterday and will be getting rid of the horrible compression socks in few days :yahoo: My 6 week follow-up appointment is next Monday. I am still a bit tired at times, but that really exhausted feeling has gone.

Hope everyone else is progressing nicely.
 
Yay @rainmaker !:yahoo:
Isn't it lovely not to have that Horrid Hip Pain!
I think I not only had post op energy drain, but I also had two years of little to no sleep I still catch up on.
Sleep without pain is amazing too!

Transformative is great description. I feel the same.
Happy happy for you!
Onward!
 
You seem to be having a very smooth recovery @rainmaker. I’m impressed you have made it this fat with compression socks-mine got lost after a shower a couple of weeks after surgery.

The surgery is truly transformational, and the return to normal activity levels is wonderful. Keep up the good progress.
 
I would not give any medical advice! Just shared my experience of being a less than compliant patient!

But I really hated the compression socks @rainmaker
 
worth a try...

If I do it it'll be my decision. Feel like I've been a goody-goody now @MammaT
 
Hello @rainmaker ,
Poor you, with those horrible compression socks. I was allowed to ditch mine after 7 days but received anticoagulant injections in my tummy for 1 1/2 weeks, then Xarelto pills until week No. 6.

I enjoyed reading your recovery thread - we seem to have similar stories. I had left hip replacement in April 2015. Like you, I was very active. I finished 10 marathons before hip replacement - one of them on a very very bad hip.

After the op, I was also very high. Even though I did not apply for a job like you did (I've got a good one already), I did all sorts of naughty things like taking a shower unsupervised in hospital on day No 3 without letting anyone know first, practiced walking without crutches after 2 weeks (I got scolded for that by the bonesmart police :) and I one of my rehab physiotherapists), driving after 2 1/2 weeks (just a short distance - 3 kms down the road), just to find out whether I could, and getting on my real bike, not an exercise bike, on day 15.

Since the operation, I've run 2 marathons and 2 half marathons, and recently, I finished a Half-Ironman (Ironman 70.3) in the Kraichgau region near Heidelberg.

Like you, when I was diagnosed with arthritis in my left hip, I was told my right is in good condition and does not need replacing. No idea how much longer it will last, but it seems ok.

Now, may I ask you what made you choose your pseudonym rainmaker? When I first started learning English at school, I learned that it was raining in England all the time. Rather a cliche - but this rumour seems to persist even this day and age. My first summer in England - in Exmouth, Devon - where I did a holiday English course, was very warm and sunny and I went swimming in the sea every day after school with my host family.

May your hips, the operated one and the natural one, last many more years. Constanze
 
Happy Thursday!
It's best to wear them as your doc advises @rainmaker
You could call the office of your surgeon. I did after a couple weeks and my OS's, Physician Assistant
told me he'd be happy if I wore them half of the time. I think they take the lowest common denominator
into effect when setting their guidelines. They realize not all will follow instruction. Thet set the time frames high allowing for some wiggle room. I'm a rule follower. But not always a happy rule follower. :tantrum:
Whether you wear your socks today, or not, I hope you're having a good one!
 
@Layla - you're so sensible!! You're also right. Might as well have them on for another 4 days to say I did it all properly. But I will enjoy burning them next Monday...:blush:
 
Now, may I ask you what made you choose your pseudonym rainmaker?

Nice to hear from someone else who got scolded :)

Rainmaker - because what you learned in school is actually correct. You just got luck in Devon all those years ago. They probably haven't seen the sun since you left :tantrum:

Inspirational to hear what you've been able to do on your new hip, and that your other hip is still fine. I aim to follow in your foot-steps (but on a bike - I've given up impact sports as I want this replacement to outlast me!)

All the best to you.
 
Back
Top Bottom