THR Shiney Happy Hip

:ice:ice certainly is wonderful!
You may want to cut back a bit on the one mile walk or break it into two sessions.
That may be what is aggravating those already traumatized muscles.
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
Best of luck at 2 week checkup..hope no redness or warmth at incision site?
 
Hi @Mojo333 - no, no redness or heat from the wound, but it is leaking. We changed the dressing a couple of days ago and there were no other signs of infection. However, I'm looking forward to getting a nurse opinion on Tuesday. Take your point on the walking... will try to slow down :running:
 
:friends:patience is hard to sustain...
You've got this!
 
Happy Sunday :wave:
I think you'll find recovery moves pretty quickly. It does seem pain moves around. Usually by the time it resolves some other area is bothering you. I agree that ice really helps.

I'm glad you have an appt on Tuesday so you can get the incision checked. There's nothing like peace of mind. I documented questionable changes with my cell phone. It helped me to see when things improved also. Like a photo of the yellow discharge on the dressing that you mentioned may help you OS and his care team.

I hope you have a great day! Let us know how you're appt goes on Tuesday.
@rainmaker
 
So I went for my 2 weeks check up. The surgeon redressed the wound (see picture) and pronounced himself happy. The seepage doesn't worry him and he expects it to dry up in the next few days.

Physio was tougher - got me climbing a higher step than I'm used to, and that did smart! Told me I'm overdoing the walking (which I was kind of expecting ). Her rule: Limit any one walk to 10 mins per week of recovery, and max 2-3 walks per day. That puts me about 100% over the limit this weekend. I'll need to rest up more I think.

Otherwise feel good tonight, pain score very low, still no painkillers of any strength since day 4. Asked the surgeon if I was OK to drink with blood thinners. Gave me a 'why wouldn't you?' kind of response, so tomorrow evening I'm going for a couple of beers.

Just before I go, I ought to confess to a near miss at the weekend. On Saturday morning I showered and sat on the bench on the wooden decking in the garden wearing just a towel. Next thing I know, the bench is collapsing on one side. I finish up still sitting, but on my back and very aware that I'm about to fall backwards onto a concrete path, as the deck is raised 3 feet above the path. Tricky. Rolling either side was a no-no because the hip would be under too much pressure. A backwards roll would have been possible when fully fit (and ideally not wearing just a towel ). But out of the question with the 90 degree rule. So I was stuck like that until very kindly helped back upright by 2 neighbours. The deck had a rotten section, and the bench leg had gone straight through it. Laugh? I nearly put my hip out...

Sorry - wound photo is too big to upload.
 
Last edited:
Oh my goodness! You better keep those neighbors happy or the whole neighborhood will know! No flashing hopefully.

Reminds me of an advertisement that used to run here in the US for one of those personal emergency call buttons marketed for older folks with this lady who would say "I've fallen, and I can't get up", which isn't really funny but the way in which she delivered the line I always found rather amusing.
 
Yeah, that was me imitating your little old lady. Felt even more dumb when thanking the neighbours in my towel, like some deluded Roman Emperor. And no, there's no chance of keeping any of this secret...
 
:no-fin:Okay, no falling down!
It's in the rule book.
Thank goodness you weren't seriously hurt...except your pride!
 
Congratulations on turning potential drama into comedy gold! Sorry you've had such an eventful week, though - geez, sounds like parts of this were pretty demoralizing.
 
It was fine, really. All I could think about was how things might have turned out... nothing injured in the end but my dignity :censored:
 
Hi there,
Great news on the wound! :ok:

Falling off a bench with nothing but a towel on, lol! Thankfully you weren't injured! It's amazing what some people resort to for attention :rotfl: Please don't tell me woman had to come scoop you up...

Have fun while out tonight BUT careful with the beers :beer: No more accidents! :no-fin:
Let us know how the night goes...
@rainmaker
 
Hi @Layla

Actually one woman and one man came to the rescue, but the towel remained resolutely in place throughout.

I was careful this evening with the beer intake, but now think I've found something that rivals ice for pain relief.

Home now, no damage done.

Have a good day, and thanks for keeping up with my antics. Will post another update on Friday.
 
Whew! On the towel staying in place.

:cheers: Cheers.
Glad you had fun but are now safe....at least I hope :heehee:
No trippin around to the bathroom in the darkness overnight.

Will look forward to Friday's antics. Keep em safe!
@rainmaker
 
Hi All,

Day 18 and I'm walking without a stick. Everything feels like it's healing up well. As predicted, the cricket ball in my butt is now more like a golf ball. I can't really put all my unsupported weight through the hip - e.g. when going upstairs - but otherwise pretty good. I've reduced my walking times to 10 mins and had a complete rest day yesterday. Only real issue is sleeping. I'm struggling to sleep between midnight and 3 or 4am because I'm very uncomfortable on my back. Tried turning on my side - hurts!
 
@rainmaker Are you putting a small pillow under your knees when you are back sleeping? It does ease the pressure on your lower back. Meanwhile nap during the day if you can.
 
Thanks @Jacey - I do use a pillow under the knees, but recently it's not helping much. Get really uncomfortable in the lower back & shoulders. Yes, I am snoozing in the daytime. Just have to hope I can get on to my side in a day or so.
 
Can you lay on your non-op side with a pillow between your legs?
 
Day 21 - drove 20 miles this evening !

Waiting to be scolded...

Feeling better every day. Still need a sleep in the afternoons but overall, really pleased with the progress.
 
Not going to scold..I think it's fabulous you can finally go!
Just don't make a habit of it.:)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom