THR Sherrymorss recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another victory today. I was able to take a complete shower in my own shower today all on my own. Doesn't sound like much to some people, but once again it's one of those normal things we take for granted until we aren't able to do it. I'm sitting here all squeaky clean enjoying the summer evening breeze coming through my upstairs window. Oh I'm so ready for my life to become normal in all things again. Hope everyone else is doing well.
 
Every time we are able to do anything that we use to do and took for granted regardless of how big or small it is,we have to celebrate that victory. It is so true what they say, it's the little things in life that count!

I'm glad you are doing well!!
 
You know how it is, a roller coaster, but for the most part I'm doing well, thanks!
 
It's amazing how all these little things give such a huge sense of freedom!
Well done!
 
@JMACCA and @Zelda thanks. Yes it did feel just amazing to finally be using my own shower and my own bed. These little victories are adding up to me getting my mobility and my life back. It's just great.
 
Well I've hit some bumps in the road to recovery. I'm not sure if any of it has to do with my hip replacement but I need some help. Things were going well and I was finally getting up and down my stairs and thought I was well on the road to recovery. Then I had a short gout attack in the toe next to my big toe. I have them once or twice a year and usually get thru it with ice and NSAIDs. I can't take NSAIDs any more but my pain pills from my hip seemed to be doing ok. Then my index finger on my right hand swelled up and became very painful. It's arthritis and this happens a couple times a year too. It usually only lasts for a couple of days but has been very swollen and very painful. Then I had symptoms of what I was afraid was a kidney infection, but my daughter checked where the pain was and said it couldn't be a kidney infection but was more likely a pulled muscle from me using my arms too much to go up the stairs. That too was very painful bit did go away in about 3 days. No soone did the pulled muscle resolve itself, but I slept wrong and woke up with a stiff neck. I've also had those before but this was excruciatingly painful. Once again my daughter came to my rescue with a deep tissue message. In 3 or 4 days the symptoms of this were gone. The neck pain was no sooner gone than I woke up with pain in my left ankle. While I was asleep in my recliner, the edge of the foot rest was pushing into the back of my ankle. I decided to go up stairs to bed where I could stretch out. By the time I woke up, my ankle and foot became swollen and very painful. Nothing we have tried has relieved the pain. I think I need to go to the doctor or even the hospital. The problem is I absolutely can't walk on it. If I call an ambulance, then how will I get home after they examine me to find out what's wrong? This is not the leg I had hip replacement surgery on, this is my left side. I'm worried and scared and my daughter is really worried. Like she said I just can't continue to sit in my chair either. What in the world am I going to do!
 
Sherry, how rough it is for you to be hit with all these extra injuries! Many times we hurt the "good limbs" while overcompensating for the weak ones. If you can't ambulate and/or manage at home, then you might have to go back to rehab/nursing home for awhile until these leg injuries heal enough for you to be able to put weight on the leg and walk again. I know you've been to rehab before, and you know what it is like. I guess another idea is to hire a person to be with you round the clock who can push you in a wheelchair where you need to go, lift you in and out of the chair/toilet and do all the things for you that you can't do yourself. If you can't do it yourself, and you don't have a close family member or friend who can live with you for awhile and lift you, then you need outside help. Good luck dealing with all of this!
 
I get how discouraged you must feel. Hugs, hugs, hugs! Hope you get good advice about what to do going forward. I know I will have problems ambulating after my surgery coming up, and I am also very worried about my "good" leg being able to hold me up, as I will be only 20 pound weight bearing on the surgical leg for 6 weeks. My "good" leg has a knee that sometimes gives me pain, and my ankle is weak on the left side. Last night I had very sharp pains on the other side of my ankle, so I wonder how I will get around. I'm going to rehab after the op, and hope to stay there at least a couple of weeks, to see how my body is going to be able to support me walking.
 
@Krista I think the rehab hospital is a very good idea. It helped me a lot once I got things straight about my pain medications and my physical therapist and I came to an understanding. Just don't be afraid to standup for yourself. After that, I think I did pretty well there. I'm not sure if I would have followed through with the physical therapy had I just came home straight from the hospital. Thank you for always being a support to me. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you move forward to your surgery. What's the name of the rehab hospital you will be going too? I went to Elkhorn Rehab Hospital. They are supposed to have hospitals all over the US.
 
@sherrymorss60, I have you in my thoughts and sending you best wishes, too! :fingersx: I am going to a place called Oak Brook Care - Transitional Rehabilitation and Services. It is family owned and is a gorgeous facility, with great reviews and ratings. I know I will be happy there and get all the help I will need in the early weeks. Take good care.
 
I'm so sorry @sherrymorss60. If you think something serious is going on, you probably should call an ambulance. Could you go directly from the hospital back to the rehab? With the difficulties you have been facing recently, it might be the best option for you both physically and emotionally. Praying for you right now Sherry.
 
@Cynthia777 I can't do that. You have to be in the hospital for 3 days before Medicare will let you go to a rehab facility. Otherwise they won't pay for it. They won't let you go to an accute rehab hospital like I was in unless your problem is some kind of surgery or major illness. If you can't take care of yourself, as in my case I can't even walk, they will send me to a nursing home instead. As it turns out we may not have any choice. I can't just sit in my chair and wait for what ever is wrong to fix its self. Besides, I can only as my daughter to do so much, even though she has been so good through all of this. Any way, my daughter is going to call my surgeon's medical assistant and ask her advice. I'll post what we find out. Thank you for your prayers. I really appreciate that. I hope you are doing well.
 
What a pickle! I had no idea you would have to go directly from the hospital to the rehab for Medicare to pay for it. I sure hope there's a decent convalescent hospital nearby if you choose to go that route. Thankfully you have a wonderful daughter to help you out during this difficult time. I was so thankful that my daughter was staying with us temporarily during me rehabilitation. Please keep us posted Sherry. :console2:

I'm doing very well, thank you.
 
So I have a doctor appointment with my surgeon on Monday for my six week check up on my hip replacement. I'm still suffering with this pain in my feet. My daughter and the rehab doctor she works with think I have tendinitis in my feet. They think it's because I was in my recliner too low and then tried to go up my stairs and caused stress on the tendons in my feet. All I know is I can't walk. I have no idea how we will get me in the car. Once we get to the clinic we can get a wheel chair to get me to the doctors office. Any one ever have tendinitis in their feet after hip replacement surgery? My recovery was doing pretty well up to last week. If I didn't have my family I would finish off my pain medicine and just call it a day. I feel like I've had it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom