THR Sherrymorss recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Krista
I do hope my experience does in someway help others through their recovery. I got a lot of rest today since it was Sunday. Tomorrow the rehab, both OT and PT, begins so should be busier. For now I'm ready for more sleep. I hope everyone has a restful night.
 
Had my first real day of physical therapy today. I will try to hang in there but if it doesn't become less painful I'm going to check out of this rehab hospital and go home. I'm not usually a big baby, but I have been weepy all day because the therapy has my pain level up high all day. A couple of times my operated leg has been accidentally dropped while moving. OMG that hurt so badly and it scared me too. I think it scared me cause I wasn't expecting it and I'm also so concerned about dislocation. Being weepy embarrasses me too. I guess it's just been a really tough day and not too sure it's worth it if all I really need is to walk. I'll just try to hang in there for another few days and decide.
 
Sounds like you hasn't had the best experience!!! Sounds like you got the meds underway- it took me a while to to work that out too.
I can't believe someone dropped your operated leg! And you were expected to continue?!! That would gave aggregated your muscles so bad- even slight movements kill me. I think you need to rest and not let them do any exercises on you- tell them you'll do them yourself. So sorry your having a tough time. You can get through this xxx rest, Ice and take regular meds x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sherrymorss60, sounds like you are having a bad time at the rehab during PT. PT should not make your pain level go up! I would refuse to do anything that causes pain. And if it doesn't hurt at the time, but hurts later, I would refuse to do it again. And how does your leg get dropped? Is someone lifting it? Is someone moving you? Sounds like a dangerous situation to me, without nearly enough care being taken by caregivers. Hope you can get taken care of properly, dear lady!
 
Just had a meeting with doctor, PT, and daughter. I told them if people don't start listening to me then I need to just go home. If I tell them I can't do something, it means I really can not do it. I'm not at this rehab hospital on a vacation. I think that therapist figured if he moved the leg support out from under my foot it would force me to use my own strength to hold my operated leg up. Well it didn't. It caused my foot to just drop and the pain was excruciating. Then the PT tried to get me to raise my operated leg up on the exercise table and he raised the table up so he was forcing my leg to dangle with no support or lift it up. Again the pain was unbelievable. At the meeting today I told them to either put me with another PT or listen to me when I say I can't do something. Otherwise physical therapy is a waste of time for me because I will refuse to let him put me in that position again. My pain meds do seem to finally be under control. As long as I'm at this rehab hospital, my pain meds are to be given to me at the times and amounts my doctor prescribed. I understand physical therapy won't be easy, but it still needs to be made possible and not excruciatingly painful.

Thanks for your kind thoughts and support everyone. I know I'm going to somehow get through this.
 
Great that you are standing up for yourself (pun not intended)! Nothing that they do should have you in any extra pain, not to mention excruciating pain. Good about the pain meds. That is so true, you are not there for a vacation, and if you can't do it, you can't. No arguing on their part. Hang in there!
 
That sounds awful - so inconsiderate! Aside from the pain, no wonder you are worried about dislocation. PT shouldn't be painful and it shouldn't be forced on you like that. I hope they listen and you can find a better relationship with those who are supposed to be caring for you.
 
So sorry to hear of your pain! I just shook my head when I read what the PT did.....what are they thinking! M hope you got it straightened out!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Between my doctor, my daughter, and the head of the physical therapy department, they decided it was best for both my physical therapist and my occupational therapist to be changed. So I'm starting with a whole new team and things were much better today. My pain is under control and the therapy is reasonable and doable. Best part is I am being released next Wednesday if all continues to go well. I hope so. I know I needed the rehab, but I'm so ready to go home and be comfortable and really start getting my life back.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.
 
That's good news!

Are all the dogs in the picture yours? They'll be a handful to look after!
 
@Zelda ha ha ha yes all of those are mine, plus I have one that is not in the picture. I have 5 Pugs all together. I have the three boys Gus, Samson, and Benny. Then I have 2 girls Gracie May and Missy. They really aren't too bad to take care of. My grown daughter lives with me so she does most of the work required. Mostly they just like to sit in the chair with me and be mellow.
 
Five? That's a proper pack! Do they fight over who gets to be closest to you?
 
Great news, Sherry! Hope that PT and OT learned something, that everybody is unique with different needs and abilities, and therapists cannot force people to do things that are hurtful. So there! Glad the new therapy is doable and that you will be going home on Wednesday. You must be missing your little doggie darlings so much, not to mention your own hearth and home.
 
@sherrymorss60- hello! I was catching up on your latest reports. I'm sorry to hear you have had a rough go of things and I hope things are on the upswing. I found the PT in the hospital before discharge to be daunting. On one hand, there's some degree of trust that they do this every day and should know what's what. On the other hand, there's absolutely no one who knows how you feel but you. Even among hip surgery patients, each person is different and unique. I too was weepy and nervous and felt weak and vulnerable ... it all adds up and is normal given the circumstances. The PT I worked with at the hospital was nice and efficient. But it is still a job and it probably becomes a bit routine. You want them to see you fresh and not apply cookie cutter techniques. You want to say, "Look, this may be your day to day reality, but it hasn't been my reality. I'm scared, I feel weak, I am nervous, and while I believe you are likely skilled and trained and have my best interests in mind, if I tell you something hurts you need to respect that and work with me." One shining light at the hospital for me was the gentleman who came to transport me to and from therapy. He had both hips replaced before, and there just seemed to be an unspoken "I understand." And seeing how he whisked me to and from the rehab area with such ease spoke volumes and was encouraging. I hope the change in teams is helpful. And when you get home things will improve just being at home and being back with your fur babies. Don't be afraid of the work, as it does get better. But also don't feel hesitant to continue being your own advocate. Things will find a balance soon.
 
@Zelda Yes they are all quite wonderful little personalities. Interesting information about Pugs though. Unlike other dogs, they are not considered part of a pack. If you have one Pug then he's just a single Pug. If you have more than one Pug, or if you have a group of Pugs, they are called a "Grumble." So I have a Grumble of 5 Pugs. All of them I rescued from bad situations or kill shelters. At this point I won't allow anyone to tell me of any other Pugs that might need rescued. We do not have a Pug rescue in the state I live in but there is a Pug rescue in the next state over. I know the representative for that rescue, and I give out contact information so they can seek help there. I love all 5 of my babies very much, but it would be irresponsible of me to even consider taking in even one more. There simply is no more room at the inn. Thank you for your comments and interest though. I sure do love them. My daughter said they have all been sitting in my chair and watching out the front window waiting for their Mom to come home.
 
@Sommers16 You described exactly how I felt over therapy. I felt vulnerable and scared and not sure I was totally safe. This all might be just another day at the office for them, but it's a very traumatic and painful thing for a patient to go through. Therapy has gone just fine the past couple of days since things were changed up a bit. I'm feeling more confidence and secure with every session because I can feel myself getting better and I'm having less pain every day. I think going into the rehab hospital was a good thing, I just had a rocky start. It all comes down to what we are told on this website every day. Do what is best for you and don't let anyone push you to far or to hard or cause that kind of pain. I am looking forward to going home next Wednesday though.

Also I would like to mention to those coming after me who are obese, I struggled with having this surgery over everything from getting a surgeon willing to do the operation because of my weight, and being scared to proceed because I was afraid for my safety and the complications of proceeding with a body mass index greater than 40. At this point, 10 days post op, I will tell you I'm very glad I did proceed and don't feel like my recovery has been much worse than a smaller person. I think the biggest obstacle I'm having is gettin in and out of bed. Other than that, I'm being told I'm progressing just as the medical staff would expect any hip replacement patient would progress. So if anyone else, or when someone else comes to the forum who is afraid because of being obese, please feel free to tag me. I would be glad to share my experience with them.
 
I think pugs must be addictive little dogs. I taught a girl once who was desperate for one. Her family finally gave in and she got a pug puppy - but by the time the next school term had started they'd got another two because they loved the first one so much!
 
@Zelda yes they are very addictive. That is why I can't and won't listen to any more sad stories about Pugs that need rescued. It breaks my heart and I can not take in any more pets of any kind. Pugs are very loving and the do cute things and make funny noises all the time. As you can see in the picture, they love to be curled up with their human too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom