Guest viewing is limited

THR Sherrymorss recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherry, we have all learned our lesson from your misfortune! Never go that long without bathroom breaks and fluids and nutrition. Did he order a blood test to confirm the presence of the crystals and his diagnosis? I was just reading up on gout and pseudogout the other day, when I thought that might have been the problem with my ankle. I hope the medication works for you and that you get better quickly and can move ahead with your recovery!
 
@Krista yes my uric acid was elevated and I had Toffi deposits which are significant evidence of uric acid crystals and gout. Also, I have a past history of gout even though it's been a little more than 3 years since my last attack. I'm just so relieved to have a diagnosis and medication to fix the problem. Have you been able to see a doctor about your ankle? I hope the rehabilitation hospital turns out well for you. I had a rocky start, but in the end I'm really glad I went and spent the 2 weeks there. I think it sent me forward in my recovery by at least a few weeks instead of me going straight home from the hospital after surgery. I'll be following you so I can send my prayers, support, and comfort as you have done for me. Thank you Krista, I appreciate your friendship so much. If there is anything I can do for you or tell you of my experiences with what I've gone through please don't hesitate to ask.
 
@Cynthia777 they all have some issues because of the difficult and brutal experiences they suffered, but they are all precious to us and they have found their forever home with us. They are worth everything we have been through with them to get them stabilized and feeling secure that they are loved and will have good food, clean water, and a loving home where no one will ever abuse them again. Any way, thanks for noticing my little fur babies. I could talk about them all day long.

I too am so glad we have become buddies. I really do appreciate your reaching out to me at some of my lowest and most difficult times in this hip replacement journey. I do have a wonderful family that I'm so grateful for, but honestly no one knows exactly what you're going through unless they have been there themselves. So thank you so much.
 
Sherry, you are such a sweetheart and you are trying so hard! I appreciate the way you are sharing it all with us, the good and the bad, and we can learn along with you. Thanks for your offer of advice and support, and I will take you up on it, for sure! My ankle hasn't hurt at all in days, as I have been very careful with it, and iced and have been off of it more. Hoping for no recurrence of that particular pain!
 
I just can't understand how anyone could hurt innocent animals. Breaks my heart! :-(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777
Hi Cynthia
Actually I saw my surgeon yesterday before I went to my primary care doctor. My surgeon would not diagnos or prescribe medication for my gout attack because he said he's a surgeon not a primary care physician or eternal medicine doctor or anything like that. In other words, that kind of work is beneath him as a specialist in joint replacement surgery. I like him but he certainly is a little weird about stuff and kind of conceited. However, I did a lot of research on him and he is very highly trained and recommended. Also, the other surgeons I went to check out before him would not do my surgery because they felt I was still too overweight. He was very kind and compassionate about that. He explained the higher risks of surgery in someone my size, but in the end said if I wanted to proceed he would definetly take my case and do my surgery. So yes he is a bit conceited but I think he has maybe earned the right to be that way. He is very smart and interesting to talk to. He will spend as much time as he needs to to make sure the patient totally understands everything he is telling them. He's the kind of person that makes you feel you truly are in the presence of a brilliant surgeon and a person that is way above average intelligence. Any way, everything with my hip replacement is doing just wonderfully. Everything on the X-ray looks great, my incision is healed up, and I have no more hip precautions and I'm released to drive. So once I get past this stupid gout attack, I can resume living my life as I normally would. Thank goodness I can start sleeping on my side again. The gout in my feet and ankles is just as painful as it was yesterday, but the swelling has gone down quite a bit. I think the gout medication is starting to work. Thank God! I hope you are doing well today too.
 
A lot (not all) of those very good surgeons are a bit arrogant, mine was too. I've heard that gout can be extremely painful. I'm so happy your medicine is starting to work and that you've been released to drive and sleep on your side! Things are looking up! :-)
 
Yes, gout is very, very painful. I have had two children, gall bladder surgery, and this hip replacement surgery. None of those things even compare to the pain of gout. Even the bone on bone pain of an arthritic hip isn't quite as painful. I guess that comes the closest though. Gout is another form of arthritis. It's caused by having too much uric acid in your blood stream. This uric acid forms crystals that end up in a joint, usually a big toe joint, and they start to push the joint apart. The joint swells and becomes inflamed and the pain is excruciating. Sometimes, as in my case, a gout attack can affect larger areas of the body. It really is just horrible. There are maintance drugs that can be taken to clean the uric acid from your blood, but they are very hard on your liver. I hadn't had an attack for over 3 years so wasn't taking the maintance drugs. Also, I probably wouldn't have had the attack if I hadn't let myself get dehydrated and hadn't went so long without flushing my kidneys and bladder. That's why it's so important for everyone to learn a lesson by what happened to me. Drink plenty of fluids and don't go long periods without voiding your bladder. Believe me, no one wants to go through what I have in the past several days. You can have your uric acid level checked by a simple blood test if anyone is curious about what their level might be. This is usually included in a regular blood panel test too. Ok I'm getting off my lecture now.

I was having a hard time coming up with the word to discribe my surgeon, but you nailed it exactly. He is very arrogant. I sure have the highest respect for him though.
 
Well the new gout medication is starting to work. I've been drinking lots and lots of water to help rid my body of the uric acid. My feet are still swollen and sore but I'm getting around the main floor of my house using my walker without too much pain. It still hurts, but it's doable and it's better. Thank God! I hope everyone else is doing ok.
 
Wonderful news, Sherry. Be ever-so-careful with your precious body as you continue in your recovery journey!
 
Oh my goodness dear lady, I have missed a bunch that happened to you. So glad you were diagnosed and that you are on the mend! Drinking my water right now! Hang in there!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Good morning Sherry!
I'm stopping in for my daily check-in to see how you're doing and I see things are looking up! What great news! Hopefully you've turned a corner and will see much more rapid recovery from this point on. Sending you and your little pug family big hugs! :friends:
 
@Cynthia777 thank you and sending hugs right back to you. My feet and ankles are getting better day by day. I'm able to feed the pugs and get them outside for potty breaks. That at least takes some of the load off my daughter. I'm hoping that by next week I will be able to resume my walks on the side walk in front of my house. I would sure like to get past using this walker.

Thanks too to everyone else for your support and concern. It means so much to me.
 
You'll get rid of the walker in due time my friend. Believe it or not, I kind of miss it and my cat (Milo) misses it even more. He loved laying down next to the tennis balls on the legs and kick them with all his might. Then he'd rub his head on them over and over again. He had a real love affair going on with those tennis balls! :heehee:
 
Oh that's funny. None of my fur babies have noticed the tennis balls. For some reason Missy likes to lay inside the frame on the floor while I'm sitting in my chair with the walker parked by my chair. Missy is quite old. We think maybe 15. Her two previous owners passed away. The first woman who had her, had her for several years. When she passed away, one of her friends took Missy. Then that lady passed away. She was being sent to the dog pound when we stepped in and took her. I think maybe she is familiar with a walker and maybe sat under one of her previous owners. You can't help but wonder what a rescues life was like before they come to you. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to miss the darn walker when I can fold it up and retire it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom