Shelly's Recovery

You take a beautiful picture! And here I am trying to lose weight! Your husband is so very thoughtful! You are blessed!
 
Love Cheesecake Factory! If you prop your leg up in the restaurant you shouldn't be too sore or swollen at all.
 
Just what you needed! I can't wait for those days. Day 11 for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My daughters are hosting bible study at our house tomorrow night so while they were at school I worked on the house more than I should have. Also went to store with my husband and drove one of those little scooters while he pushed a cart. Came home and iced for hours and just tried to do one heel slide and knee didn't want to bend hardly at all. The over do - swell -ice dance is not a fun dance at all.

I've been reading threads from people who are a few months ahead of me and doing so well. I can't wait to be where they are!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Take a look at what your activity level should look like on the Activity progression for TKRs. Remember every knee is different, but shopping, cleaning etc. will produce extra swelling which as you know, will limit ROM. It sometimes takes a few days to recover from a membership withbthe ODIC. Take a few days with nothing but ADLs and ice/rest/elevation. Then you need to find a balance. Usually just one activity a day after a month post op, (you still have a few days before you're a month) cleaning or shopping, but not both.
 
@mechellec Must have been the day for overdoing it :-(

I woke up feeling great and minimal swelling. Spent the morning and afternoon walking all around the house without my cane. Went upstairs and also down to the basement. Made dinner and did a couple loads of laundry. Wayyyy too much. Now my knee is sore and swollen. Mad at myself :groan:
 
You ladies ought to know better! Your knees are the bosses and they will be for the next few months. Please learn to take it easy. You aren't doing yourselves any good at all, and are setting your recovery back every time you overdo.

Please delegate to others what they can do. If your daughters are hosting a Bible study, then they ought to be the ones cleaning and shopping, not you!

You have to learn to treat your knee like the infant it is and to love it. Love isn't just an emotion, it's also taking care of someone or something!
 
Learned my lesson too. I just cancelled pt for tomorrow. Left side of my right knee hurts a lot today. Going to ice and elevate most the day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good move. Give yourself a few days to recuperate.
 
Do you ever ask yourselves why we have to keep learning the ODIC lesson over and over? I don't know that anyone is immune :shrug:
 
@sandi4213 I think it's just that you start to finally feel good after months of feeling awful and you think you might just be there.......and then bam! You're wrong.
 
Exactly right! Even on those good days you have to follow the activities guide.
 
At four weeks and one day post op the blues have arrived. Teary all morning. I feel like I've gone backwards. I know I overdid on activities the other day and I have been icing and elevating like crazy but I still do not have the ROM I had previously. Not even close. I have a spot on the left side of my right knee that just hurts so bad no matter how much I ice.

I'm thinking now it might be because of last couple PT sessions. They had me on a therapy bike before which was fine and I could pedal on and have since moved me to a higher stationary bike that is much more difficult. They put the seat high and at first I just rock the pedals back and forth until I can pedal either backward or forward. I get to where I can do it but it is very uncomfortable for the duration. I had already canceled pt today from overdoing the other day but I think I will tell them I want to go back to the therapy bike on Monday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so sorry and I feel your pain @mechellec. I have joined the ODIC too many times to count I'm embarrassed to say. It will set you back a couple of days but it will bend again. Really just take the next couple of days to take care of that knee! It is very difficult for me to sit and do nothing, I've never done well with that and it sounds like you do too! I also had post op blues really bad as well and found that Percocet made it worse. After I changed my meds it got much better. You are just a month outntoday, you are doing great and it keeps getting better!:loveshwr:
 
At a month post op it's easy to think you should be able to begin a few normal activities. But after overdoing with activity and PT it may take a week or so to get the swelling down again to the point it was at. For now and weeks to come, the knee is in charge and will remind you with increase swelling and pain. Spend the next few days resting, icing, elevating and when you're able to get back on track try to remember or plan accordingly.

Even when it came to cleaning I dusted or vacuumed one room and rested/elevated between rooms. It definitely took longer to accomplish things, but I did accomplish them. Baby steps are necessary before running the marathon.

The blues were major for me, especially with two surgeries back to back, but eventually around 8-9 weeks things began to turnaround. It had felt like everyone's life was moving on except mine as I watched on the sideline. It will get better. :yes:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom