Shelly's Recovery

The first month was terrible for me as far as sleep goes. Once I was able to sleep on my side it got better. I was able to put my left leg over my RTKR to sleep on my right side. That only lasted for a few hours, but it was better than the whole night on my back.
 
Yeah, after the kids go to bed, the hubs and I usually watch a show together. Then once the show is over, I feel this dread. Ugh. Bedtime. And I hate complaining, bc I'm mostly sleeping ok. 2-3 hrs, then up for meds & potty, then 3-4 hrs. I know others have it worse. Hang in there!
 
Wow, so impressed! Not much pain meds and 110 degrees! I am a couple weeks ahead of you and can't seem to decrease meds much and my flexion is not that good! Congratulations!
 
Thanks @LindaO. I'm happy with the rom too but then I still walk so funny. I try to go slow and heel-toe and remember to bend my knee. It's like learning to walk all over again. I think we are all different on the pain med front. All my pain is at night. I agree with BS and to take our pain meds as long as we have pain and need them. Here's to a smooth and steady recovery for both of us! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@flyaway79 i don't want to derail Mechellec's thread but are you placing the electrodes just around the knee or other places on your leg? I have one from a back issue and have used in on my knee. They always used it after therapy with ice.

@mechellec i hope you are continuing to do well!
 
@mechellec, the hardest thing I'm finding with walking now, is to not look down while I walk. I have watched every step, to make sure I don't misstep and fall, for over 20 years. My BIL said I walked like an old lady, so I'm trying hard to break that awful habit. I'm afraid of falling, but need to build up my confidence on my new knee! I've also worn stable rocker-bottom shoes that automatically make me walk heel to toe, but catch myself watching my steps way too often still.
 
@becticu I have been using it on different parts of my leg that aches. But I was talking to my PT yesterday about it. I ended up purchasing a new one from Amazon last night that they recommend at my PT place. I receive it tomorrow and on Friday he is going to tell me which settings to use and show me exactly where I should use it for different relief. I will post something on my page on Friday and will tag you so you will know what I find out :-)
 
RTKR was 3 weeks ago today. I've been following Weight Watchers since January but haven't been diligent for last 3 weeks (just focused on healing and feeling better) but I rode with my daughter today and weighed in at Weight Watchers meeting and was pleased to be down 3 more pounds. I still am having a tendency to overdo and run my busy household again but I always pay the price with swelling.

Taking Tylenol during the day and hydrocodone at night and PT twice a week and trying to keep icing and elevating as much as I can.

I'm really really hoping I can dance at my daughters wedding in July! :).

Have a great day my BoneSmart friends!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congrats on your weight loss! For three weeks, you are doing great! I bet you will dance at your daughter's wedding. If you continue to do as well as you have been, you will be shaking a leg there!
 
Really try to delegate right now, otherwise you could prolong recovery and we want you dancing in July. Kids are able to do more than you realize and can be talked through a lot of things like laundry, dishes, dusting, vacuuming etc. Plus it's good for them to take on new responsibilities.
 
KarriB's right. They might fuss at first, but will be mighty proud and happy after helping you.
 
Haha my kids have been great and they are older. 16, 18, 22 and 24. It is more just me being my stubborn self that is just used to being independent. I just need to knock it off and realize this time is temporary :).


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today at PT I kept feeling a popping on the right side of my knee during my exercises/stretches. I'm thinking maybe my hamstring is tight or something. Anybody experience that kind of popping sensation?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have popping on the inside of my knee, but not the outside. Was it painful when it did it?
 
I'm glad it didn't hurt that bad. Who knows what goes on inside these knees of ours!
 
3 1/2 weeks after surgery and I found myself a little blue and stir crazy today. I feel like the majority of my time is spent attached to my ice machine. My husband said, "Come on, time to splurge a little!" Then he took me to the Cheesecake Factory where we parked in a handicapped space right in the front and went in and shared some appetizers and had some delicious cheesecake. Life is good!
[Bonesmart.org] Shelly's Recovery



RTKR 4/19/17
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom