Shelly's Recovery

@becticu and @KarriB: seriously thank you both for your responses. I'm kind of freaking out today. I probably just need a little patience and rest and I hate being blue. I'm usually a really "up" person and I don't like all these tears today. Thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm at the end of 8 weeks and I remember those days so well - and so does my husband :swoon:

Soooo normal! I even had one yesterday after I had overdone it the day before. Do not feel bad, you (and I) are still early in this whole journey. I try not to get frustrated but sometimes it just happens. Go with it, have a little pity party and then another little milestone will happen and you will feel better!
 
I now it sounds simple, but you need to take your mind of your knee. Rent a good movie you can get lost in, Lion was a great movie or LaLa Land, Hidden Figures, whatever genre you enjoy. When moms spend their lives thinking of everyone else it can be hard when the tables are turned.
 
mechellac...i am also 4 weeks and 1 day post op and i've been silently very emotional since the surgery. last night i cried at the season finale of "criminal minds, beyond borders", when the song "Hallelujah" (the late Leonard Cohen), sung by k.d. lang came on and anything sad or emotional i hear or see. i'm sorry about your pain but i'm also envious at your progress which is way more than mine. although i don't have the pain, i have not exercised my knee much due to nausea but i am walking around a lot more without the walker. my 2 soaps help pre-occupy me lol...thank goodness for the recording option. remember to take care of YOU, let yourself be pampered and rest when you feel like it.
 
Don't you love that this site makes you feel normal when you feel anything but normal? :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My blues kick in after the kids are in bed and it's quiet and my thoughts go to how tied I am of sitting and being uncomfortable and mostly useless.

I totally over did it yesterday. And today. And I will tomorrow and Saturday, but I can't change the obligations, so I'm powering through and hoping I can rest up Sun-Tues. Lol. Mostly it's just lots of swelling.
 
Joining the ODIC will do that to you physically and emotionally. Be careful - soon you will start listening to your body and taking its advice to stop what you're doing and elevate or ice. Pull out a pad and start a gratitude journal for a bit - that helps me. It will get better and you will do more, but you're really early on this recovery journey and need to baby your baby knee.
:flwrysmile:
 
You don't have to go back to pt if you don't want to. We have said that it can slow down your recovery, and you are a prime example. You will do fine on your own. Like Karri'B said, ice, elevate and medicate as long as you need to, to get that swelling down.
 
Oh, and you will dance at your daughters wedding. I did at mine (5/5) - the first 3 songs (it had already been a long day) - I remember thinking on the last song - this may cost me 3 days of recovery lol!
 
@jaschembra, I like that. I need to start a gratitude journal. I'm starting that today! It's too easy for me to think about everything I don't like when in fact I am so blessed!

@mechellec, I also agree that this site makes me feel normal when every ounce in me screams I'm not!
 
@jaschembra I love the gratitude journal idea. I'm glad you were able to dance at your daughters wedding. Hoping to be able to do the same!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think that I started getting the blues about the same time as you. Came out of nowhere. I had read about them on other posts of course, but had not had any of my own. I didn't enjoy it, but they didn't last long, thank goodness.

The gratitude journal sounds like a great idea, @becticu
 
@sandi4213 Thanks Sandi! It's encouraging to know that although you started blues same time as me that they didn't last long. I don't need many more days like today.

Here's to a great tomorrow! For all of us!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Unfortunately, the blues are a normal occurrence after this surgery. Thank goodness they don't last long. For me, sometimes just a nap worked to chase the blues away.
 
Have rested, iced and elevated all weekend long except for going to church this morning. Church went well though because I brought ice and a pillow and propped my leg on a chair. I still use my cane and I'm walking pretty well with it except for when I first stand up and am stiff.

My swelling is better but I still am experiencing a lot of pain on the left inside of my right knee. I keep icing there and massaging it but that is the spot that gives me grief and makes me unable to bend as much as I normally can. I have PT tomorrow morning and I'm going to ask for any recommendations and I'm also going to refuse to do the bike they had me do last time that made me wince continually. The therapy bike didn't hurt me early on so I'm going to request going back to that one.

Hope all is well. I know I'm only 4.5 weeks out but patience is not my strong suit and I'm thinking I need to work on that!

Here's to good weeks to all!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, Shelly, do work on that patience! It's only just over a month since you had this major surgery. Everyone still has pain at this stage.
Your knee will mend itself slowly. It knows what it is doing.
Remember not to do anything at PT that causes pain -
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
​
At this early stage, you really need very little PT anyway. For what it;s worth, my surgeon doesn't allow any formal PT for the first month after a TKR and all his patients do well.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
When my first PT had me do exercises that hurt, I out right said, "never again" and I didn't. I couldn't squat pre op so I certainly wasn't doing it 2 weeks after TKR surgery.
 
That is exactly the same place I still have reoccurring pain. When you find out what is causing it, please let us know. I'm supposed to go for yearly check up on the 5th, but I doubt I'll be driving by then. I had planned on asking him then.
 
I will definitely let you know @sistersinhim. I'm sorry you still get pain there! I was really hoping it was a normal place to get pain and that it will gradually go away.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom