Shelly's Recovery

You drive your self quite hard...be kind to yourself so you don't backtrack! Hang in there!
 
Well time for a new physical therapist.
Told them how I had pain all last week and wanted to do the easier bike Than the one I had winced thru last time. Main therapist said I really shouldn't try to go backward and stay on the harder bike even if I could only rock the pedals. Tried it and got some rotations in the ten minutes they had me on there while tears streamed down my face. Then he came over to measure me. I was already so sore and he measured me at 93 by myself and 101 with him pushing on it. He told me I need to work through it if I didn't want to get a manipulation because I should be much further than that. I just sat there quietly and canceled my future appointments on way out.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
good for you looking for a new therapist. i haven't even started yet, going to phone today and possibly start next week with a therapist i've been recommended that "seems" to have a similar philosophy as BoneSmart. even my family dr. has heard good reviews of this clinic. after reading about so many bad experiences, i am actually a little terrified to go as i'm not good with confrontation. i'm sorry you were hurting and somewhat threatened. good luck with a new therapist.
 
I'm so sorry. That stinks. I was so scared looking for a therapist bc my area seems to be heavily into the "no pain, no gain" philosophy. But I got lucky. I hope you find someone new, but even if you don, you can rehab yourself. Gentle heel slides, lots of icing & elevation, hamstring stretches, quad sets. Basic stuff but mostly rest. You got this. Let that poor knee calm down. No tears necessary.
 
A therapist should never push on your leg! And you should never be in tears while in therapy. You should never go back to that place and certainly not that therapist! Now, treat that knee with lots of TLC!
 
Well done for cancelling that therapist! He was wrong to push on your knee and he was not only wrong, but also unethical, to threaten you with a manipulation. You're already past 90 degrees and very few surgeons even consider a MUA once you've reached that degree of bend.
 
Still so completely depressed about pt experience today. My daughter asked me to go to the bank with her and I decided to try driving and it went great. Nice to know I could accomplish that today after I left feeling so incapable this morning!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A therapist can mess with you not only physically, but also emotionally. You did great by driving this soon! It was 7 weeks before I had the courage to even try!
 
I didn't start driving until 7 weeks as well. I'm now at 9 weeks today. PT released me last week. I didn't feel like there was much else they could help me with. I know the exercises and stretches to do at home. My ROM was 113 and I still have quite a bit of swelling which keeps me from bending it more. She said she could feel it was soft tissue issues keeping the ROM down. My swelling does not seem to be on the knee cap area but rather right above the kneecap and up into the lower thigh. Seems like I can't really do much of anything without it flaring up. I know they say it's still early at 9 weeks but this is still frustrating.
 
My dad quit PT after 2 weeks. It wasn't covered by his insurance and he figured he could do all the exercises at home. Of all the people I know who've had TKRs, his recovery and use of his knees is by far the best.
 
@KarriB I think my dad would agree with your dad. My dad has recovered wonderfully from having both knees done years ago and same with my mom and her two knees. They each did thirty minutes of pt twice a week that only consisted of gentle massage, gentle stretching and recumbent bike. Unfortunately that therapist has since moved from here. My mom went with me to my first pt session and said it was absolutely nothing like hers. I really think it's the pt I'm receiving to blame for my ROM having gone backward.
 
Yes maam, it probably was the pt. Your knee is now swollen and the ROM is less because of that swelling.
 
I loved my second PT group. We worked on balance, gait and at 4-5 months strength because my leg had become very weak after the 2 surgeries a month apart and wearing a brace. Do you have a recumbent bike at home or access to one? If you have a bike a few minutes a day on that would be fine until you find a PT you're happy with. I actually think PT is better after a few months to work on those things I mentioned above.

But take some time to rest your new knee and get that swelling down. It's the best use of your time right now.
 
Wow, driving. I know for a fact I couldn't drive yet if this was my right knee. I can't lift the surgical leg quickly and wouldn't be able to depress the brake in a quick stop, if needed. I really hope my right recovers strength and mvmt better bc I really need to be driving when school starts. (6w)
 
@KarriB I am at 9 weeks and they released me from PT for right now. I may go back in a month or so to start working on strength before I go back to work in September. Right now I'm just doing my ADL's and a few minutes a day on my stationary bike. And still icing and elevating whenever I'm not up and about.
 
@flyaway79 , Strength training is best after 3 months post op, my PTs waited until 4-5 months post op. Even at 3 months if there's any pain at all, stop. I took no pain medication at all while strengthening my leg and felt no knee pain at all.
 
I just got back from driving over to our local gym and rode the recumbent bike (slowly and with the seat way back) and then sat on the big exercise ball and did some great stretches. Then I drove through Starbucks and bought a huge iced tea. Can I tell you how great and how normal I felt!!! It was wonderful.
 
Wow! You are doing better than anyone could expect. And getting back to normal feels great! Reading about it feels just as good!
 
You definitely did the right thing canceling the remaining PT sessions with that therapist. Do you have others in your area?

Once I started on my recumbent bike, 5-10 min with no resistance, I just slowly kept inching it closer so I knew my bend was advancing. You're barely past one month though so still early for that.

You're doing great and it only gets better from here. Just don't ODIC :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom