Shelly's Recovery

Thanks @Pheebs52 and I think you hit the nail on the head with the shoes! Yesterday and today I wore these sandals that had a bit of a heel and I think I need to go back to my comfy sketchers. I'm thinking the shoes is what caused this awful shin pain. Comfy is the new cute!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hah, yes, comfy rules in shoe world! For now, my backless mules and sandals are back in the shoe rack until further notice. That might be a long time coming, lol!
 
Oh yeah, I bet changing your shoes caused your shin pain. If you think about it, what starts at your feet runs all the way up!
 
@mechellec I agree comfy is the new cute! I had sandals on the other day and just walking around the house I thought no way! And put my socks and walking shoes on, so much better! I was happy I changed, these days I always go for comfort in my clothes and shoes:)
 
In my 20s and 30s I wouldn't have been caught dead with elastic wasted pants or sweats. Now, that's what I look for! Comfort is much better these days!
 
Well I rode the big girl bike at PT today! Woohoo!

Back when I was at my old PT they had me on the taller stationary bike at 4 weeks post op and I was miserable. Every rotation hurt and felt like my knee was ripping. Them pushing me to do that bike is one of the reasons I left.

Today at my current PT (6 weeks later) they had me switch from recumbent bike to the tall stationary bike and it went great. Ten minutes, pedaling quickly and not a problem. What a difference! I still find that I point my toe opposed to flexing it so that it's easier. I will try to flex next time. Love that this place lets me progress at a comfortable pace opposed to the last place. He measured my ROM again this week (at 111 ) so I'm up one degree from last week. I'll take it.

Another thing I've added to my work day is setting my alarm every twenty minutes to remind me just to stand up and walk a little. If I sit too long I am way too stiff.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
wowza ~ you are doing full revolutions now on the bike! that's amazing. i'm still struggling rocking back and forth.
 
@liam2015 I think it is just because I have been riding the recumbent bike pretty religiously and I think I eased into the bigger bike. Keep rocking back and forth and you'll surprise yourself and the rotations will happen. I promise!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mechellec , what great news! I'm delighted you now have the right PT people; whoohoo! Now, order a new pair of shoes to celebrate, lol!:heehee:
 
thank you for the encouragement @mechellec. i was just on my bike (my city bike on stands) and it seems like there's no progress, although at physio, the therapist said that i was "almost there" for a backward revolution.
 
Yay! Pedaling really helped me to gain ROM and loosen things up. I hope it continues to help you.
 
Ever since I could do a full rotation I now ride my bike everyday. I always start my day off with it to loosen things up and then usually do a small session again in the afternoon. I'm adding a little bit of time now every couple days to help my legs gets stronger.
 
Oh I am envious! I haven't used my city bike (on stand) for over a year now. Before operation it was because the knee locked and hurt so much.
So maybe in a few weeks I will try again. (I can't pedal backwards on it) Physiotherapist said I should be at 120 before I try. Any opinions?
 
My PT said I need to be at 100 degrees flexion before pedaling, so I'll just have to wait. I'm an excellent waiter, lol.
 
It depends on how high your seat is to what your ROM would be. The lower, the more ROM, higher less ROM. Start out with the seat really high and then lower it as your peddling gets easier.
 
Haha @Pheebs52, I think we all are becoming excellent waiters!

@VW54 I can pedal fine at 111 and have been on my recumbent bike since 95 degrees. I do have to have the seat raised pretty high on the stationary bike. You could just rock the pedals back and forth for awhile and see how it feels. :)

I agree@flyaway29 that it definitely loosens things up. I still wake up so stiff.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If there's a bike at therapy it helps to just rock the pedals back/forth @Pheebs52 . I wasn't even at 90 when I began rocking the pedals, then just a little lift of my right hip got me a full rotation. It was also nearly 1.5 months after my infection surgery and 3 weeks after coming out of the immbolizer brace.

But whenever you start just do a few minutes and see how the knee reacts that night and the next day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom