Shelly's Recovery

Yes, we really could use a t-shirt shop! Sorry you're having to spend any time at all on this special day explaining yourself. People can be so oblivious sometimes, but all we can do is chalk it up to their lack of experience with events as life-changing as ours. I've had three abdominal surgeries, major ones, and none took as much out of me or took as long to recover from as this one.
 
We need one that says, "A knee replacement takes a year to heal from!"!
 
I'm sorry the family doesn't understand, Shelly. Don't get involved in explaining. Just say something like "My doctor says i'm doing well. This recovery takes a long time." And then change the subject and don't allow any further discussion.

Enjoy this special day.
 
Danced at my daughters wedding! Probably more than I should but it was worth it. That was my goal! Last year after my sons wedding my old knee hurt for days. My new knee held up pretty darn well - even with my 80s moves - my dance moves seem to be stuck there. Time for new goals. I will not let my knee hold me back any more.

[Bonesmart.org] Shelly's Recovery
 
Gorgeous!
you ALL look so happy and that's how it should be.
Wow what a cake too ( I'm probably hungry again)
7.7 is also our wedding anniversary. (that was 38 years ago.)
May the couple have a great life together and be best friends forever.
 
ahhhh thank you for posting the pics. what a beautiful young couple, your daughter and son-in-law. you look beautiful and happy too. i love your dress and shoes. hope you can have a nice long rest now. congratulations to your family.:flwrysmile:
 
Brilliant! Now tell me, do you just grit your teeth and smile when confronted with this or do you grit your teeth and mutter...."You don't have a clue, you :censored: do you?" I'm prone to muttering, lol. By the time we're all recovered, we'll have an entire new wardrobe of T-Shirts!:snork:
 
Great photos -- so glad you were able to bust out those 80s moves too! :yahoo: Congrats on making it through the big day. Hope you can take a few days and recover.
 
I loved your photos! Thanks for posting. She is a beautiful bride and you looked absolutely stunning. Not a hint of pain on your face. Great dress and shoes. I hope lots of relaxing in your future!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your family, you and the BRIDE look absolutely breathtaking xxx
 
Beautiful mother and beautiful daughter. No one would know, to look at you, that you had a 10 week old knee! Wonderful that you would able to dance at her wedding!
 
Thanks so much my bone smart friends! I am used to reading your posts every day but am now behind so after my company leaves in a couple days I will have fun catching up on your recoveries!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stunning, both bride and mother, and you are wearing a killer dress!
 
Ditto on the killer dress Mechellec; wow! I'm delighted to hear you were able to dance at the wedding.....some dreams really do come true.:egypdance:
 
Ugh not good! Three months post op today. I'm icing at PT right now. Spent the last week in Nebraska at funeral for Father in law and was hobbling thru airports and walking all over. Week before at daughters wedding. No pt for two weeks and rom has gone from 111 to 105. Follow -up with surgeon tomorrow morning. He mentioned MUA last time. I do not want one at all.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have been doing a lot more than your new knee really wants to do! Your daughter's wedding looked beautiful and so did you! And adding flights and the stress of a funeral doesn't help. I think you are due for a much needed rest from all extracurriculars. Put your feet up and relax. I'm sure your ROM will return after a rest! Good luck with your OS appointment and keep your BS friends posted!
 
Ugh not good! Theee months post op today. I'm icing at PT right now. Spent the last week in Nebraska at funeral for Father in law and was hobbling thru airports and walking all over. Week before at daughters wedding. No pt for two weeks and rom has gone from 111 to 105. Follow -up with surgeon tomorrow morning. He mentioned MUA last time. I do not want one at all.
Shelley, your decrease in ROM has nothing to do with not going to PT, but much more to do with all the extra activity - walking through airports, wedding, funeral. They will all have increased the internal (and possibly external) swelling of your knee.

Instead of doing more exercises, treat your knee to a lot more elevation and icing, and see if that helps.

I doubt that your surgeon will want to do an MUA - very few surgeons do them once your ROM is past 90 degrees and the fact that you had already reached 111 proves that you don't have adhesions and an MUA would be an unnecessary and unwise operation.

Just tell your surgeon of all your increased activity recently and say you would like a while longer, to see if your knee improves again (I'm sure it will).

Remember, too, that it's your knee and no one can do anything to it without your permission.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

PS: In the first half year after a TKR, it's a good idea to ask for wheelchair assistance to get through airports - you do a lot of walking in those places.
Flying soon after surgery
 
Agreed. Any change in ROM is almost certainly due to swelling in the joint from overuse. Rest, ice, and elevation will help the joint settle down and you'll get back all you had before, and more to come. I really doubt your OS will be talking about MUA with you. Mine was happy with my flexion and it wasn't much greater than yours.
 
I agree with everyone else, your rom will come back after some rest, ice, elevation. I love the pictures from the wedding, how beautiful you all are.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom