Shelly's Recovery

Ah ok. But I have the kind of bike where I can't rock the pedals back and forth. It only allows for rotation in one direction. I'll try next week to see what happens.
 
@KarriB, for some reason, my PT just doesn't want me using a bike yet. Not sure exactly why, but I think he doesn't want to do anything that could possibly place a strain on my cement-like quad. I did ask yesterday about just rocking the pedals and he just said, "Not yet." He's very conservative and I appreciate that.
 
VW I used the recumbent bike several days a week for weeks before able to rotate on my regular bike. Your knee is young yet, it will happen hang in there. I also did what Karri suggested and just rocked back and forth, stretching and then bam, one day I was able to rotate.
 
Just rocking the pedals gets you some loosening. It's kind of an amazing feeling when you make a full rotation. Backwards came first for me. Just yesterday I did my first full rotation. Surprised myself with that one. But the bike really does do a great job of gently exercising the knees.
 
Yes indeed -- really high seat is the way to start. I am barely past 90 degrees and can pedal pain free with a high seat (feet barely touching the pedals - and hips going side to side - not good form) I rocked back and forth for a week or more, then one day (June 18th to be exact!) when I was near the top of the pedal in both directions, I just went for it and it worked. When I start on the bike, particularly if I am stiff, it helps to have your heel on the pedal, then as you loosen up the pedal can be mid-foot, and then work to get the pedal up more on the balls of the feet. Plantarflexion (toes pointed) is also a bit easier when you are getting started - but you might get a cramp if you hold in that position too long. Yesterday I did my first seat lowering of 1 cm with success. Keep up the good work. :biking:
 
Congrats SusieShoes on your pedal rotation -- it's a great accomplishment! Pedal Power!
 
@Pheebs52 at just over a month post op it's fine to hold off for a bit. I was 2.5 months from TKR and 1.5 from infection surgery. There's no hurry and you don't want to compromise your recovery by doing too much too soon.
 
I didn't even start the rocking back and forth on my bike until about week 10. I did that for about 5 days then I could do a full turn backwards. About 3 days later I did my full turn forward. This was all after I had quit PT and was just doing my at home things. No need to rush it!
 
@KarriB, I really don't want to *push* anything that could jeopardize my recovery. I did that with the bionic hip resulting in a world of pain and a very long setback, so I'm not going to make the same mistake with the knee. If anything, I've been uber-careful, conservative and frankly, lazy so far. I'm also not walking as much as many here yet either, and that's ok.

Basically, I'm happy to be driving a little bit again, to be rid of the walker and crutches, but as for the rest, I can wait. I like my sofa, my back deck and my books.:SUNsmile:
 
With my daughter getting married next week and having lots of out of town company, and the day after the company leave we fly to Lincoln, NE for my father-in-law's funeral, I will not be able to go to PT for two weeks. Hopefully all the busy cleaning and walking I will be doing will be enough for my knee. I was down on the floor and up at least six times yesterday when I was cleaning. The way I get up feels like a gymnast move (I'm sure my kids would think it was more of a clown move).

The location my daughter is getting married at is a hot springs resort a little over an hour from here. We went the other day to confirm everything and there sure are a lot of outdoor steps to get everywhere. I figure maybe if I feel fatigued I will try to make some time for the hot springs. I haven't used my cane for week but I think I'm going to bring it with me just in case.

I think after these next few weeks I may actually miss my early days after surgery of spending the day in my comfy recliner and elevating on my 3 pillows with my ice machine.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I gave up on Pt because of our trip to FL, then DH was out of town and I had no childcare for the kids and then chicago...so I've been off PT for a month. But I've been doing my exercises in the pool, walking more and have noted progress. So don't worry too much about missing PT. We're at the point where the leg will just keep getting stronger from here on out.

Def bring the cane. Uneven ground is not our friend!
 
Mechellec, yowza, what a schedule! I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law, especially since it's immediately on the heels of your daughter's wedding.

The hot springs sound fab to me! I think I'd brave the stairs for that treat, but yeah, bring the cane, "just in case." You'll never be sorry to have brought it, but you could really regret not having it.

I applaud your gymnastic moves but I know you're right about the kids, lol!

All that cleaning and prepping and walking sure sounds like natural PT to me! Actually, it sounds much better; brava!
 
With all that activity, you are doing PT! If you can do all this, you don't need to go to PT anymore. Your knee is there already and doing what you need it to do!
 
Shelly, be very careful if you go in the hot pools. we had someone on here whose knee swelled up badly after she spent some time in a hot tub.

I hope your daughter's wedding is fantastic - but do try not to do too much. Remember that your knee is still a very new toddler and it will throw a tantrum if you do too much.
 
i am so sorry you lost your father-in-law. the wedding might be bittersweet for your hubby especially. enjoy all the activities and festivities associated with your daughter's wedding and remember to take some time for yourself. hope you'll post a pic of the happy couple.:flwrysmile:
 
I have a hot tub that I was looking forward to getting back into - but wary of swelling as @Celle warns of, so I either put my new knee leg on a foam cushion to keep it out of the water or I just open the cover half way and elevate my leg, resting it on the cover. This works well in the mornings as I am warming up the quad and hamstring for good walking form, but elevating and chilling the knee as it is generally still in the 40s here in the morning - win, win :yes:
 
Brilliant @kmak81230! I really miss my hot tub; wah! I loved using it in the winter when snow was lightly falling down and the steam was rising up....nice memories. :SUNsmile:
 
Can I please buy a t-shirt that says "I had knee replacement 11 weeks ago and full recovery takes a year?". All our family is here for my daughters wedding tonight and they've all noticed me limping a little (after lots of standing and walking) and the funny way I walk down the stairs and keep asking why it's taking me so long to recover. I know they just don't know but it's still tough. My mother in law who I adore told me that I had lost my spark since my surgery. I know I've lost my stamina but I also know it will come back. Anyway, I need to just let it go and enjoy this special day. It just gets old. Happy day to all!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Another T-shirt for the Smarties - I love it! Yes, mechellec - enjoy the wedding, send all the guests and relatives home ASAP and get back on couch! You are amazing to be hosting a wedding at 11 weeks!
 
ahhhh yes enjoy this special day. i remember i was exhausted at my daughter's wedding and almost felt like i was in a twilight zone watching from the outside looking in, due to all the pre-wedding activities and life in general, and that's without having had surgery. no point in trying to correct m.i.l.'s perception ~ you have the right attitude ~ just go and enjoy this special day. congratulations!:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom