Shelly's Recovery

Thanks girls. It seriously helps me knowing you guys are out there with the same frustrations. It makes me know we are all going to get through this - better off - eventually [emoji173]️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think we all feel better enough to be doing better. Our mental readiness can far outpace our physical readiness. Patience is difficult when we feel ready for so much more!
 
How true!! Patience is so hard. Today I really wanted to ride my bike, but my 10 year old granddaughter talked me out of it. She said, "do you really want to go back to the hospital?" So, I got a reality check. :unsure:
 
"Eventually" is the key word! I have a bruise on the back of my newest knee that I've had for 8 weeks now, though I've been slathering it in arnica and icing like crazy. Gah!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Two month kneeversary yesterday. I asked PT to measure me this morning even though I kind of didn't want to know. I was scared I hadn't progressed very much. I was 110 flexion and 0 extension and am pleased with that. I've been at work part time for two weeks and continue to ice when I can at home. Life is just super busy right now with my daughter getting married in a couple weeks (filled with pre-wedding festivities and planning) and my father in law is dying any day now and my husband remains in denial. Also just found out we have to put our 13 year old yellow lab down. It has been a very very stressful month and my recovery has felt like a huge burden. I love reading everyone's stories every day. It keeps me going. Take care everybody!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
With all the negative going on, it's difficult to focus on the positive, like your daughter's wedding (though it generates lots of stress, too) and your recovery, which is going so well. Hang in there!
 
oh my goodness mechellac ~ how stressful for you. remember to take care of yourself and your new knee through all this sadness and, of course, the wonderful joy of seeing your daughter get married. 2 weeks before my daughter got married, i got picked for jury duty and had to spend a week taking the subway downtown and then getting sequestered. we kicked daughter out of her room and into the condo she and finance had rented to make room for my in-laws and their 2 dogs that came to live with us lol. at the same time my husband's best friend died of a heart attack while driving on business in florida at the age of 50 (3 young kids) plus we had guests coming from all over the world for the wedding. thank goodness i was healthy then. enjoy all the celebrations and delegate whenever you can. hope you'll post a photo of the happy day!
 
Wow @liam2015 you dealt with tons of stress two weeks before your daughters wedding too! It just goes to show that life happens regardless of how we try to plan it. And as far as recovery goes, life doesn't slow down just because we are recovering. Just looking forward to the day when recovery is a thing of the past :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What wonderful news on your ROM! That is excellent for just 2 months out.
I am so sorry about your dog. I can relate. I have a 21 year old cat that has dementia and has progressed to night terrors. I will have to have her put down. It's heart breaking.
The wedding is something really positive to look forward to!
 
I'm sorry about your father-in-law's illness and about your dog, Shelly.

Look forward to the good things, like your daughter's wedding.
 
Pain-wise it has been a good week until last night. About midnight my shin just started throbbing. I haven't taken pain meds for quite a while but I did last night and it didn't help the pain. Still this morning I am having intermittent throbbing shin pain. Some in the knee but mostly in my shin (calves are fine).

I'm just assuming it was something I did. I had PT yesterday which went fine but we had a busy day, lots of walking and I remember once going up on my toes to reach something (which felt weird at the time) and I'm wondering if that's what did it.

I searched BoneSmart (at midnight :) )and found some others who experienced shin pain as well which always makes me feel better. Hoping it subsides soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm at 13 weeks and my shin still randomly aches at times. No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes worse than others and it always goes away.
 
@flyaway79 Thanks! Although I am sorry your shin hurts too it makes me feel better knowing it's something that is just a part of this whole thing. :smile2:
 
The more mobile I get and more I do, the more random aches I notice at night!! Now that I'm out doing something every day, I'm sleeping worse. But it will level out! If it's because the knees are feeling better, I'm ok with it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It probably wasn't any one thing you did that gave you the shin pain, but an accumulation of lots of little things. And of course it always seems to get to you at night, when all you want to do is rest!

Can you give yourself a few days of doing very little? That could help. If you're still a bit sore, skip the next PT session.
The knee will continue to give you reminders that it isn't fully healed yet.
 
Wow! Shelly you have a lot going on, sorry about your Father in law and having to put your dog down. That is so hard, I am glad you have your daughters wedding to be happy about and look forward to.
I give you a lot of credit for going back to work so soon, Awesome you can bring your ice machine to work:)
Sending you well wishes so you can dance at your daughters wedding. It sounds like you are doing great with PT.:dancy::friends:
 
What a beautiful picture of you and your daughter. I'm sorry for all that's happening in your life right now. Hugs. :loveshwr:
 
Yes, I get the random shin pain. I sometimes massage myself along the shin and I'm surprised how sore and achy those muscles still are. I guess they take a bearing in this surgery.
 
@mechellec, I've just discovered your recovery journey and was struck by how well you are doing despite all the stressors in your life right now; brava! I'm so happy to see you have the joyful event of your daughter's wedding on the near horizon. It will bring a much needed ray of sunshine to help lift your spirits and boost your healing at this otherwise stressful time.

The photo of you with your daughter is absolutely stunning! What a lovely pair you make. :SUNsmile:
 
P.S. I also get the random shin pain; ugh! Thankfully, it hasn't happened too often....yet,... but when it does, nothing really seems to help; pffft! I did notice that it seems to have a correlation to my shoes. If I wear anything backless, it does seem to trigger it, so I am now avoiding that style.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom