Shelly's Recovery

It looks like we all feel the same way.

I am feeling so antsy to be "normal" but I know I need to knock it off. I don't like that I'm walking with a limp no matter how hard I concentrate on bending my knee and walking heel - toe. I have had trouble with patience for years. Maybe having a tkr was God's way of teaching me some patience! :)
 
Haha! Isn't that the truth! Now I try and get a shower every day and put on makeup even if I'm not leaving the house. It's the little things LOL
 
Hi mechellec,
spent a greater part of last 2 hours reading your recovery thread. I too am looking forward to dancing at my daughter's wedding which is in mid August. So the timing/ spacing between operation and event is similar for both of us.

Regarding PTs, while trying conservative measures before deciding for operation, I was doing sort of OK with steps and walking with trekking sticks until a PT bent my knee way too far back and from then on I could not do steps up without holding on at all anymore. On top of that, he insisted that straightening out the fascia was my problem and ignored the MRI results that showed torn meniscus and bone on bone and spurs. (Can't some of these people read?) so he tried to do this deep manipulation and I ended up in tears. No more.! I hesitated a week and then cancelled all future appointments.

- don't mean to derail, but this thought just occurred to me: Is there any thread that deals with fascia manipulation and how it relates to knee pain?

I wish you continued healing, and support for body and soul.
 
Your limp will go away eventually. I bet you walked years with a limp, so you're conditioned to do it now. I, too, had to concentrate on not limping after I didn't need to anymore. Eventually, I trained myself to not limp! You will, too!
 
@VW54 good luck on your upcoming surgery! I'm afraid I have no idea about fascia manipulation and it's relation to knee pain. I would suggest you do a "search" on this site or direct your question on your thread to one of the administrators and I am certain they will help you.

@sistersinhim thanks for your input. I hope I'm like you and I can retrain myself not to limp :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Six week post op appointment with OS today. I have mixed feelings about my appointment. The X-rays were great, he also said I have no arthritis on my left knee - so I hopefully won't be doing this anytime again in the near future.

He said my extension was great and my bend is around 100 although he didn't formally measure it. He said it just felt like it wanted to bend more and he said I hobble when I walk. He thinks I don't trust my knee and I walk very stiff. Well it feels stiff and it does still hurt to bend it. He thinks my bend should be better and I shouldn't be hobbling. I was pleased with the 100 ROM guess and I think I'm doing just fine. He wants to see me in six weeks to see how I'm progressing.

Oh and the good news was the green light for the swimming pool which he thinks will be good for me as well.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
100 at 6 weeks is great! Many OS want 90 at 6 weeks so you're ahead of the game! Wonderful news about your other knee being arthritis free!

When you get in that pool be very careful to not overdo. It is easy to do so without you even knowing it until that night. Just walking in the water is like using weights on your legs and your new knee will feel it really quickly!
 
I was right around 100 at my 6 week point and my PA was okay with that although she did say keep working on it like she'd like to see better <sigh>

My increases have been incremental and at 8 weeks I was at 113. Haven't been measured since then since not going to PT anymore. I'm at 10 weeks and just started walking without my cane because without it I walked with a limp. Now I don't use my cane most of the day but by the time evening comes around I find it swelling up and I go back to my cane so I don't start limping again. Just don't want to get in bad walking habits. See my doctor again at the 12 week mark.

So lucky about your other knee! Mine is bone on bone so I have another one of these in my future. But not planning it anytime soon.
 
Yeah, I'm jealous that you have a good knee. And yay for the pool. It's been great to be back in the water. I even ventured into the hot tub today with no ill effects.
 
Had a mani/pedi with my daughter tonight and it felt amazing. I brought ice with me and left it on the whole time and rested my leg on a chair at the end of the manicure. They were very gentle with me. It felt so relaxing!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
don't mean to derail, but this thought just occurred to me: Is there any thread that deals with fascia manipulation and how it relates to knee pain?
No, because it's weird stuff and not necessary. In future, don't allow any therapist to do anything that hurts.
 
I am usually a pretty bright person but I didn't act like it yesterday. I have been liking my new pt so much better than the old. The assistants are young and caring and awesome. I like the exercises. They are encouraging and I like the main therapist. He knows I left the last place because they hurt me and yesterday he was massaging my knee and pressing down on it for extension that didn't bother me but then he lifted my knee and pushed it far toward my chest and held it there and it hurt so so bad! I was floored.

I didn't want to be that lady that is constantly complaining about people hurting me. There were lots of people around and I didn't want to say anything at the time but come Monday, I'm going to have to tell him that I do not want him to push my knee again. Does this happen at most places? If it does more harm then good why are these therapists still doing this? Does this kind of pushing help some people? This guy is young. Shouldn't he know?

I am so sore and stiff today and had a very busy day with lots to do for my daughters bridal shower tomorrow. I hate when you are moving along fine and then something happens that puts a stop to everything or makes you feel like you've gone backwards again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was once told, never pray and ask God to give you patience, because He will!

I'm sorry that (can't say the words) PT did that to your leg. Yes - most definitely speak to him on your next visit. Make sure he knows you are serious and mean it! I wouldn't allow mine to be touched unless it was massage.

Try to enjoy your daughter's shower. How wonderful!!
 
My home PT did this but only to my comfort. She moved very slowly and stopped when I said to.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Now, wasn't that sneaky of him. Hadn't you already told him to not push or pull your knee? You should have raised Cain right then and there! He has done nothing with that push but set your recovery back. He assaulted you! You should register a complaint against him. Pushing your knee does NOT help anyone. It inflames the knee, causing heat, swelling and pain. Your knee is less than 7 weeks old into a year recovery. Your ROM is good, that pt should never have bend it like did. You don't even need any pt, with that ROM.

I pray this hasn't set you too far back and that you can enjoy your daughter's bridal shower. Spend as much time as you can icing and elevating. You should do it all night, too. And even up until the shower.
 
but then he lifted my knee and pushed it far toward my chest and held it there and it hurt so so bad! I was floored.

I didn't want to be that lady that is constantly complaining about people hurting me. There were lots of people around and I didn't want to say anything at the time but come Monday, I'm going to have to tell him that I do not want him to push my knee again. Does this happen at most places? If it does more harm then good why are these therapists still doing this? Does this kind of pushing help some people? This guy is young. Shouldn't he know?
How did you keep quiet? I would have yelled, "Ouch! That hurts! Don't do that!" as loudly as I could.

Don't feel that you can't complain. It's your knee and he hurt it. You have every right to complain. In fact, it's your job to speak up, to protect your knee.

Yes, treatment like that can do harm. Unfortunately, some PTs are still being taught the wrong thing. They get so obsessed with an artificial timetable for increasing ROM numbers that they forget they are dealing with people who are vulnerable, feel pain, and have feelings that can be hurt, too.
 
Back in the winter we had a member whose TKR surgery was done at Mayo Clinic. She had no formal PT because they now feel it's too much of gamble as there are so many still practicing aggressive therapy. A therapist comes into the hospital room, shows them a few stretches, leg lifts, heel slides and that's it. My mother's best friend drive from Pittsburgh to Mayo Clinic for her TKR and she had no formal PT either. It can take a while for a new protocol to be taught a accepted at all levels.
 
Paying the price for too much sitting, standing, walking and no elevating and icing yesterday at my daughters bridal shower but I think it was worth it - The shower was lovely. I even wore low wedge heels and walked fine in them but removed them within ten minutes of being there. Am babying my knee today with rest and ice and elevation. Pt tomorrow where I'm dreading my little talk I'm going to have with my therapist but I'm definitely going to do it.
[Bonesmart.org] Shelly's Recovery



RTKR 4/19/17
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom