Shelly's Recovery

Five weeks post op today. Just got home from my new pt appointment. It went well. They adjusted the recumbent bike where it was comfortable for me to pedal for ten minutes instead of where they thought I should be. The exercises were different than the other place. They were gentle and practical. He also only measured me at 93 and how about that , he didn't make me feel like I should be further? I think I'm going to like this place much better than the other.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
that's wonderful news. i'm 5 weeks today also and finally phoned the physio clinic recommended to me; will set up first appointment soon. i told the person on the phone that i hoped the physiotherapists were not aggressive as i had heard stories about those that were. she assured me that they would listen to me and address my concerns.
 
The new PT place sounds much better, Shelly. :thumb:
 
Great news on the new pt! I think you're going to be happy with them. Recovery should go really well for you now!
 
Excellent news! Keep us posted on the progression!
 
There seems to be good and bad in every day of recovery. The good was that I went and watched a great play my son directed and kept my leg iced and elevated (on top of my husbands lap) for 2 hours and 20 minutes.

The bad was when my daughter tried to nicely ask me when I would walk normal. And also when my mother in law called and shockingly said, "oh my gosh, you aren't back to work yet?!"


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad the play was a good experience for you. You did well to elevate and ice your knee.

Try not to take any notice of the unfortunate comments. Your daughter was just concerned for you, and your mother-in-law obviously doesn't know much about knee replacements. She's probably expecting a recovery time like people experience after an arthroscopy, which is much shorter.

Take a few deep breaths and know that you are doing well.. You're right where you are meant to be.
[Bonesmart.org] Shelly's Recovery
 
I get comments like that too! Obviously they have never had TKR. I have had many surgeries in my life and by far this is the worst as far as pain and recovery time. I have learned to let those comments roll of my back:ok:
 
My MIL said the same thing tuesday. Like, why aren't you fully recovered yet, jenn?!?! ALl shocked like.
 
I'm 9 weeks out, still using my cane for some support, and I get comments about not being fully recovered either. It does get frustrating, definitely. But I figure I will heal on my own time. I do see progress each week so I am happy with that. Keep positive thoughts.
 
Ever since my Mom passed away 3 years ago my Dad calls each of us kids every day to check in. That's fine, but ever since my surgery my daily phone call consists of " So, are you any better today??" and "How long is this going to take?" Every. Single. Day. Is it bad that sometimes I let it go to voicemail and say I was sleeping so I don't have to answer the questions :what:
 
I did the voice mail thing, too! And I would tell those commenters, 'almost healed, only 6 more months'. They'd just get big-eyed and then say nothing else. They also kept asking if I was doing my therapy. I'd just smile and nod. I think it's just that they don't know what to say a lot of the times, so they come up with these common phrases.
 
Absolutely love that we all get these same kind of comments. We can take it. We had a super difficult surgery and we will prevail! Happy long weekend everybody!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
These last few posts are why I love this site! We are in this together!

My dad calls every day expecting some miraculous progress report. Grrrr....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We have all been through what each of us is, or has been, going through. Empathy is a great comforter. We can learn from each other's experience and want to, in turn, help those that are just coming up. It's great to know that people care, even those that we don't know personally. This site is a God send!
 
These comments I'm getting daily too then i find I'm justifying what I'm doing and why I'm not where they think I should be.... when I shouldn't be, I need to stop doing that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I don't appreciate the implication that if I'm not healing by some arbitrary standard (3w seems to be the "acceptable" recovery time) that it's bc I'm doing something Wrong - not working hard enough at PT, etc. As I learned this week, pushing it does nothing but move me backwards. I'm glad I have you guys.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom