THR Severe pain after 15 months<

Thank you, Layla. Both Doctors are taking my pain seriously. My GP has been fantastic with analgesic relief. She also knows that I will safely take doses and not abuse them. Yes, the 'Baby Steps' continue. No setbacks yet. Let us hope that I just continue to move forward. :tada:
 
I feel your pain Dickie, literally. My THR also arterial was May 2017. I worked 50-60 hours a week physically active job before my hip injury. I had arthroscopic hip surgery 2/16 I never got relief after that. After my replacement in May I was progressing very slowly. So much inflammation I couldn't get in and out of bed without assistance until August. As of August of 17 my progress stopped. My surgeon is sending me for MRI of back because he doesn't Want to go in and explore the reason for my pain. I am going to go to a hip/ knee replacement class at the hospital that I just read about. I've heard if the head of Ortho at the hospital finds out you're not healing he will do everything to find and fix these problems after surgery. Mostly I want to say good luck and let you know you are not alone. I hate the times I feel broken, scared, and alone. I want my life back too, yet feel I may never get it. I've gained a ton of weight from lack of mobility and lost most of my freedoms and ability to do simplest of tasks. And never want to ask for help because I hate burdening others.
 
Hi @Dickie just a thought from me, Fibromyalgia is auto immune right? Well I have a couple of auto immune problems too and one thing I learnt completely by accident is that slow release meds don't seem to work for me. I've had this happen twice, the first time with slow release T3 thyroid replacement meds, I quickly felt vey sick due to non metabolism of the T3, so I learnt not to take slow release meds. Fast forward to my hip problems and a relative persuaded me to try the Osteo Panadol as it worked so well for her, but it didn't for me, so I think it is a good med but maybe not for people with certain auto immune problems. From my research it would seem that maybe the enzyme we need to break down the slow release component is missing. You might want to give the traditional panadol a try and see if it works better for you too. Hope this is of help :).
 
Last edited:
Lyndam, thank you for the information. I have been on Panadol Osteo anyway, also Panadol or its equivalent. Your theory could be right though, it makes sense and I have a medical background. I will look into it, although the Palexia is helping. But I want to get off it just the same. Lyrica helped a lot last time, but isn't making a lot of difference this time. The pain is slowly receding, fingers crossed.

Brokeme, I feel for you as well. My original hip replacement was botched from the start, 16 months with an undiagnosed fracture of the femur, was no fun. I am hoping that the pain will eventually subside. I am the same, I hate asking for help, I have gained weight, mainly that I am gluten free for gluten intolerance and all the cereals are high GI, I can't exercise, apart from some floor exercises and I used to do bootcamp.
Please, both of you keep in touch, as out cases are similar.
 
I'm coming good now. I did my first shop without a crutch today. I am off all pain medication, except for Lyrica and Celebrix, as the other hip is playing up. I have to decrease Lyrica slowly, I remember from last time. I'm starting to walk more as well. I think that we have had success this time.
 
Oh that's such good news @Dickie 1 !:yes!:
I know it had been such a journey for you but it's wonderful that things are getting better and better.
You deserve some good times!:flwrysmile:
 
@Dickie 1 I have read your entire thread what a journey so many of us have had or are on, who would have beleived this operation would be such hard work, mine is different im on the infection journey, but as long as we all make some progress that makes you feel so much better doesnt it, Im just glad its not winter here with dark days and mornings. Big hugs to youxx
 
This weekend, I have been in some pain again, so I have backed up in my activities. I have taken some mild analgesics. 2 steps forward, 1 back at the moment. I am reluctant to take anything stronger. I am getting hip end of stem pain when walking. Thanks for the support. I'm still on Lyrica and Celebrex daily.
The infection journey, must be a huge mountain to climb too. Yes, it is mid-winter here and I look forward to some warmer days in another 6 weeks. Apparently, the snow season here has been a good one.
 
Last edited:
How are things going friend?
I hope things are easing and that you are feeling more hopeful!:friends:
 
Mojo, the operated hip is going okay. But the 'good' hip has now causing me a lot of pain. I'm struggling with OTC analgesics and anti-inflamatories sent my blood pressure up to the roof. I have a review on the 30th August with the OS. The operated hip isn't quite ready to take over all the work yet. So the muscles on the operated hip are sore, but I'm confident it is travelling well. So I most likely require the left hip done now.
 
Miserable hip..
Can't it just behave for a bit longer until your your right one strengthens up?:gaah:

You have been through alot, and I know you aren't excited about lefty, especially after righty needs extra attention but many relate their two hip recovery experiences were totally different so ..

Wishing you a Good Day!:console2:
 
The right hip revision, Mojo was not half as bad as the original anterior THR. Despite it being a longer surgery. Hey I didn't wake up to an undiagnosed fractured femur this time. I just wish it had given me more of a break from pain. I am hoping that the OS will sort it out. I have my daughter's wedding in 3 months time and I cannot enjoy it like this. I'm pretty sure the revision has worked and will calm down in time. Nothing I can do but wait.
 
Hope today is a good day...wishing you patience and peace .:friends:
 
Hi @Dickie 1
Wishing you comfort, peace and hoping you're feeling much better by your daughters wedding.
Best of luck with your OS appointment on the 30th. Let us know how it goes.
We care.
 
Update: I saw the OS who was very empathetic to the situation with the 'good' hip. He was pleased with the Rt side revision hip and that the chronic pain seems to be going. As I told him, it is still tender, but not painful. The end of stem tip pain is because the new hip stem is long and just not as flexible as normal bone.

Lt hip, he said that although the X-ray shows no issue and reasonable joint space, he said wear can happen at the front of the ball and not show up on an x-ray. He also sent me off for an MRI which I had the same day to check the Lt hip. He will phone me with a result.
The trochanteric hip bursa is also painful (I knew that already) and is painful on examination. So he wants me to have a steroid injection to the bursa, if the pain reduces, then we know that is the source of the pain. If the pain doesn't improve, we will look at other possibilities. I have to travel back into the city (2 hours each way) to have the steroid injection on Monday 3rd, as they couldn't fit me in on the same day as the MRI. When I left the rooms to go to Radiology, MRI was downstairs, I was in a world of pain from walking, I had to be wheelchaired to the MRI department. I can't believe a hip bursa could debilitate me so much?
This OS is very meticulous and caring. Nothing is rushed, he understands pain. So although I don't look forward to a steroid injection, I had one with the first hip, it is painful, but for a short time. I look forward to more long term pain relief. It is a process of elimination. :praying::idea:
 
Really, even though you are struggling...Very glad you and your OS have a plan for your ongoing pain.
Hate the long ride for you...so long!:umm:
Take some ice along, dear Dickie.
Keep the faith, we will get this sorted!
Sending good Mojo your way!:angel:
 
Hi there,
I'm sorry you're struggling and experiencing pain. I'm happy to hear you have trust in your OS.
It sounds like a plan is in place. I hope it brings you relief soon.
Wishing you comfort and sending a hug :console2:
@Dickie 1
 
Oh yes, I'm struggling all right. This OS has sorted out the Rt botched hip. He is very empathetic to the long struggle and pain. I trust him. He is meticulous and never rushes things.
Mojo you sound surprised about the treatment? Could I have your thoughts on it please? As a former RN & RM I do appreciate the information as orthopaedics isn't my area of expertise.
To be honest though, I feel it is hip pain rather than bursa pain. I have a review in 3 months, but if the pain doesn't subside because the bursa isn't the problem, I will be knocking on his door sooner than later. I compared the MRI with the Rt one and there appears to be a cyst on the ball like the first one, not sure about cartilage definition, pain feels like bone on bone. Saying that I haven't seen the report and I am no expert in reading MRI's.
Thank you for the hugs and mojos.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom