TKR Second TKR Done, but still not very patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to know what to say. I am sorry you are having another difficult recovery. Maybe the pain meds change will help make it a little better.

I am off to PT soon. I have it three times a week for two weeks then twice a week. Last knee I only went about a month total as I have a $30 copayment and my disability pay is only $125 a week. I will qualify for govt food benefits in no time at all!

Please take care and are here if you need us!

Xoxoxo
JoAnne
 
Horses are my therapy but there is no doubt that they are inherently dangerous animals. Very large, very reactive, and can go from sleeping on their feet to full blown adrenaline fueled flight mode in a nano second. Most are not aggressive at all but in their world leaders are tested every minute to prove their worthiness. Many timid souls get in trouble around horses because they don't respond appropriately to being challenged, then the horse assumes it is in charge. Then at some point there is a scuffle. Human usually loses. Not to reinforce any fears you have, Ellen, more to let you know those fears are reality based!

Re how i'll behave or cope when and if I ever need hips replaced, I am certain i'll be whining and sniveling. Mostly over whatever restrictions concerning sleeping on my side, that'll be a deal breaker.

I was out and about today from 10AM until nearly 2 PM. Then had to feed horses, get dogs out, put stuff away, fix a salad for dinner to eight. My attitude might be wonderful but my carcass is tired!
 
@NetballKnees Sorry I haven't been on your thread for awhile, it usually takes all my free time to answer my alerts and your thread was suppose to be one I got alerts on but I haven't. I have seen you on a few of the other threads. Sorry you are having such a rough time with this knee. I hope it turns the corner soon, and you become glad that you had it done! How is your dog? Was it his teeth?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ellen, so sorry to hear that you are still in such pain, I'm sorry I haven't visited for a while, my trip to France meant very limited wifi. It's difficult to imagine but I'm actually jealous of you having got your new knee, my left knee has been just horrid since my arthroscopy 5 weeks ago, I can't walk without a stick and am on constant meds. I see the OS next week, I'm going to beg for a tkr! Thinking of you, hope your pain goes soon xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hello Ellen @NetballKnees

No, I am not stalking you- have sent you 2 other posts on other forums this morning.
But, only looking at your personal forum now.

Congratulations on becoming a grandmother again!
That's lovely to have anew baby soon to join the family.

Sorry about your dog and hope that the Vet will also help ease he's pain.

The procedure in Ireland for hips and knees is to start with 3 five minute walks while in hospital and gradually increase, so that you are at 3 thirty minute walks by week 6 post- op.

So, anytime I see someone on my walks with a cane or crutches we usually stop for a minute to say, "hip or Knee and how many weeks post-op" and then continue on our walks. Some days I can pass up to ten others around here on my walks.

Even with all of that, still only at 100 degrees Flexion with a push and -8 degrees extension at 9.5 weeks and feeling frustrated with my progress.

Take care and can understand how you are feeling,
With warmth,
Cathie
 
How are you doing?
 
Hello Ellen, how are you this week, I hope that things are improving, even if it's slowly. Just wanted to pop in to let you know my thoughts are with you. Xx Lyn
 
Hi Ellen, I just had to tell you my 'good' news, I'm having my second TKR on December 6th. I thought January would be the earliest date I could have, but my OS was very sympathetic and agreed I needed it sooner, so I will be just a few weeks behind you again.
I realise you haven't been on here for a while, I do hope that isn't because you are having a hard time, we are here for you in good and bad times remember, we know what it's like, and can listen and sympathise.
Lots of hugs, xxx Lyn
 
@NetballKnees, it's been ages since we heard from you, are you OK?
I just wanted to pop in to let you know I'm still thinking of you, best wishes and hugs, xxxLyn
 
I am crying a little now at all the lovely visits I have had while I have been absent. I actually got on here to thank all my regular visitors and say that I hadn't been around much and probably wouldn't be in the future. I am not a very good advocate for knee replacement at the moment. I don't know why I am being so self-absorbed as to think it is unfair that I again have a knee that won't do anything. There are others on here with much worse problems in their lives than I have, and with harder recoveries.

It will be 12 months since my first TKR - the left - on 17 October (which is the day I have my gallbladder out) - so I thought I might have a bit of a recap on where that knee is at. Extension is good - flat and has been from about the first week. Flexion is about 80-85, so still very limited in what it can do. If I had my time over I would NOT have it done. I think I would prefer to handle the pain (which I had been dealing with for years anyway) and still be able to do the things I could do before the op - the main activity being riding the bikes at the gym. It was my favourite exercise and I still miss being able to do it.

I am 6 weeks post TKR - the right - now. Extension is still quite a way off flat and flexion is stuck at about 60. Reason for MUA did I hear someone ask? I don't really think so because there is definitely pain in a spot behind my knee in the middle which stops any bend bar the tiniest bit. There is also pain around the MCL region on this knee which hurts when trying to straighten or bend. I see the surgeon on Wednesday for my check-up, so will see what he says about things.

I simply cannot spend any more days with my legs up on pillows, so I just do what needs to be done, regardless of pain. I do everything for myself now - including the heavy housework - vacuuming, mopping etc., except for shopping because I still can't drive, but I get someone to take me to the shops as opposed to getting them to pick stuff up for me. I am not driving yet because although I can get in a car on the passenger side (with much manoeuvring), I cannot arrange my right knee enough to even get it in the door on the driver's side and I have a car with quite a wide door opening. I must admit I am getting cabin fever now with having to rely on someone having time to take me anywhere.

On a sadder note, my big beautiful boofy Kimbo did not have a tooth or gum infection - he had sudden onset kidney failure and after a week of treatment in the critical care veterinary hospital with no improvement, I made the heartbreaking decision to let him go quietly and with dignity. Not only am I missing him terribly, my other dog, Mikki, his sister, is definitely grieving. It is heartbreaking to watch. They were from the same litter, so have been together all their lives.

Also, a very treasured and special friend whom I have known for over 40 years, passed away that same week, so I attended her funeral mid-week.

And with all that has been happening, I have made the very difficult decision to resign from my job. Is it the most informed decision I have ever made? No. Is it the most financially responsible decision? No. Is it the right decision for me at this point in my life? Yes, I believe it is. In another 3-5 years, I may have to do something else, but will deal with that if and when it happens.

I really would like to express my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all who take the time to come onto my thread to see how I am. I appreciate your time, your interest, and all the advice, encouragement, support and friendship that has been offered on this forum.

I know I am going to leave someone out, but special thanks and hugs to @leejaa @Jozilla @tiredwife @Ellejay @happymum @pakline @jeano @kneeper @marmora Some of you come on repeatedly even with no response from me. I do so appreciate it.

I am not sure why I feel I should be entitled to an easy recovery.
I have to say though JoAnne @Jozilla I am so happy you are recovering so well. If I could, I would :dancy: for you. Your flexion at 3 weeks is incredible and you must be so happy.

Lyn @Ellejay .. you now have a date for the next one. I am glad you are happy about it and eagerly awaiting it. Pay no attention to my complaints. I am positive everything will go well for you. Very glad your trip to France went so well.

I apologise for my complaining, whiny post. I am just so disappointed that I cannot come on here and say how great everything is going and my flexion is over 90 and there is hardly any pain. I am so disappointed that I cannot say that to anyone who asks, although my reply to others is usually "Pretty good - slow, but pretty good". Part of the trouble is that knee replacements are becoming so common these days that everyone knows someone who has had one or both and never have I had someone say to me that their partner/relative/friend has had such slow progress as I have. :headbang: :gaah:I have had enough.
 
Hello Ellen @NetballKnees

Your post was very honest and shows what you have been going through over the last 12 months and the disappointment and frustration of your recovery.

Wish I was there to give you a hug or a shoulder to cry on, that's not possible but I am sending warm wishes for you from my heart to your heart.

It has been a lonely struggle for you and you have found an inner strength to carry on.
Losing your precious Kimbo and having Mikki also feeling the loss could not be easy for you.

Then the passing of your dear friend the same week, could only add to your feelings of loss.

Your time for healing has been slow and it can be disheartening to read of others' progress and know that we shouldn't compare ourselves with others. But, being human it is hard not to compare.

You are making an important decision to resign from your job and I wish you well.
It will be one less stress in your life and may provide great comfort and allow you more time for yourself.

Although you won't be posting here, I hope that you know that anytime you want to drop in, you will always be welcome and find someone to talk to.

Please know that I will keep you in my thoughts and wishing you well for you Gall Bladder surgery on 17 October.

Keeping you in my heart,
Cathie
 
Thanks Cathie ... you are such a lovely person. I did forget to say that I am walking Mikki now - very slowly and she does keep stopping and turning around as if to tell me to hurry up. I am still using a cane, so must look very strange hobbling along with my crutch and dog. The walk is not too long, but takes me about 30 minutes. It would take any able-bodied person only about 15minutes. I throw Panadol down and leg straight up on pillows and ice when I get back. The first time I walked her after Kimbo was gone was heart wrenching. It took ages to get her out of the driveway as she kept stopping and looking around for her pal. I can't recall a time when they were walked separately, so she wasn't happy with the change to being the sole walker.
 
@NetballKnees,
Ellen, I was so sad to read your post, and feel so sorry that you are in such a dark place at the moment. With so much going wrong in your life I can understand your grief and unhappiness. As Cathie , @marmora says, if only we were closer so I could give you the hug that is welling up inside me with your name on it.
It's a shame you feel the way you do about your TKRs, I just can't imagine living for much longer with the pain in my knee, it is stopping me from being me, and doing all the things I want to do, so I will go willingly into the second one, obviously hoping for a good outcome, but happy that I know I can't continue as I am.
You are still such a short time from your operation, still in the early days of recovery, and to be doing heavy chores at this time is going to make it worse. I understand you are in a very difficult situation, but think of the rest of your life please Ellen, and be kind to that new knee, it might surprise you. It was four months before I turned the corner with my first TKR, and felt it would be OK, so I know patience isn't your strong point, but do take care, you are only 6 / 7 weeks, that is nothing.
I'm so sorry for your loss of Kimbo, there must be an enormous hole in your heart at the moment, and having Mikki pine for him must be unbearable for you. I know it doesn't help graving people say that it will get better, but as your weather improves and you can get outside more you will find small things that will make you smile again, and your beloved Sebastian will be there for you, to brighten up some days. You have made some difficult decisions, I hope that your family are there to support you.
I will be here if ever you want to chat, cry, moan, we've supported each other before, and I'm sure we can again Ellen. I will be thinking of you on Oct 17 for your operation, and it hope that your next consultation goes well re the TKR.
You are in my thoughts, xxxx, Lyn
 
Hi Ellen, @NetballKnees
Aaaaw so sad to read your post Ellen, so sorry to hear about your beautiful dog Kimbo and your precious friend. Life is cruel sometimes hey? You have had a lot to deal with this year and last and i wish we could really hug you and meet you for a cuppa and talk about life and our dumb knees!

I do hope you kids are helping you through this sad time. Ellen have you been back to your GP and had a talk about whats happening in your life? You have had a rough trot lately and talking to a professional would be a great thing to do.
Why cant you have some help from silver-chain or something also? Two knee replacements in on year is ridiculous and I recon you are doing too much!!! You poor thing. I do understand the frustration of just waiting to be normal again - it SUCKS!

I had to give up my job at the school i held for 14 years because of my hip and knee and i miss the people contact terribly, I wish that I had thought to go part time first. Maybe you should consider?
These are all just suggestions Ellen, I have only just met you but I am thinking of you and wanted you to know that x
I hope you do pop back in and let us know what happening. My knee is stuck at 90 rom because of that leaked bleed into my joint space. I have found few lovely people here with similar stories and I find comfort knowing i am not the only one with a stubborn knee!

Ellen, my love to you and prayers from west oz x
Take care and i hope the days get better.
 
Please know we are all cheering you on, and in some cases, praying for you too.

You have a lot of people giving you support, whether you know it or not.

Have faith, we will support you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Grief sucks. I lost a cat, my brother, and our Angel Dog (so called because in her short life she never ever did anything wrong) one after another and then got two litter mate puppies who both promptly succumbed to Parvo. Oh, I was a mess. (btw, the next set of sisters after the parvo pups are the Best Dogs Evah, although its a fact they aren't Angel Dogs, quite).

Ellen, nothing much else to say but that I admire your spirit, wish you the best, and also wish you would ease up on all that activity as much as possible to give both knees a fighting chance, and good luck at your OS appointment.
 
@NetballKnees So very sorry to hear about Kimbo! I know it is really hard, but time does ease it. Also very sorry to hear about your friend! That on top of all the medical problems is so hard to deal with. Just take one day at a time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom